3D artists Making money on the side...Tell us your ideas..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2016
3D artists Making money on the side...Tell us your ideas..

We all know that there are a ton of side markets for 3d artists to compensate their income.
From Turbosquid to the Unity marketplace.
So tell us what side markets you have found.
And ideas to. legaly, make side money.

I am looking forward to your comments/ideas.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

11 November 2016
I posted an article about this on my blog the other day. You can see it here: article

I generate a modest amount of income from Istockphoto, Turbosquid and Gumroad. I think the trick to making money this way is good old, quantity, quality and originality. If you can tick those three boxes, you stand a good chance of making a little extra cash per month. Though it can take a few months to build up steam!

Beyond that I'd also recommend cross platform asset creation. By that I mean, create one piece of work that can be sold in multiple ways. For example I created this ship: click here I produced this for multiple platforms; I recording the process of creating the 3d ship and made this available as a tutorial via Gumroad, I rendered/painted the ship as high res matte painting and made that available on istockphoto as a stock image, I also recorded the matte painting process and made that available as a tutorial via Gumroad, I then uploaded the asset itself to Turbosquid. I could go one step further and create an animation and sell to various video libraries. The great thing about creating the image is that when people ask about the image I can tell them that the tutorial and the assets are all available through these platforms; so the image itself is a great vehicle to the other assets.

11 November 2016
Great thread Roberto, hope there's plenty of people with something to say

@Everlite, $1000 is not to be sniffed at!.. really impressive. Has got me thinking how I could use my skills to target markets that aren't so well catered for. I used to be a wildlife/portrait painter, I have so many paintings sat doing nothing but collecting dust, I need to try and make some money from them, not necessarily by selling them but photographing them, any other ideas gratefully received.

How would I find out what is selling well? - or markets that need more models/visuals etc? - I remember a thread on here some time ago that gave some great insight into exploring these markets but I can't find it.

11 November 2016
Hi Jay,

Great thinking! I see so many people with old work laying around doing nothing that could otherwise be generating cash!

Regarding the paintings, it's difficult to say without seeing them. I would scan them at high res, around 8-10k in size, do some very basic processing work, color correct etc, then submit them to any number of stock libraries out there. Another option would be to do a little Photoshop work and turn them into tillable patterns, these tend to sell more on stock libraries for use in the surface design industry (fabric patterns, stationary etc)

Good luck!
David

11 November 2016
I'm very much just researching this subject at the moment, as I don't have the tools or Zbrush skills yet to pull it off, for what I want to do for side income.

The main thing for me, would be 3D printing collectable figures or statues. I've seen other artists, selling such collectables for a couple hundred dollars each, and they normally sell about 50-100 figures to start off with.

11 November 2016
Everlite has the right idea for maximizing your ROI on work. Often I can reuse assets to help me do things quickly.

I used to provide rendered outlines very quickly for illustrators and artists that needed to focus on coloring a creating quick inexpensive commercial art. I also use to lease out my work for multiple purposes.

However, in the past, I used to really get a ton of mileage out of bartering. I traded a lot of designs for work on vehicles, breaks with medical bills.

I support a family of 6 on my income, so I'm always having to find extra channels of income to make ends meet.

I think the biggest problem and biggest cause for burnout though is trading time for money. The way around that is to create your own work, in your own time, your own way and it be something others are willing to pay money for to use.

11 November 2016
Quote: I'm very much just researching this subject at the moment, as I don't have the tools or Zbrush skills yet to pull it off, for what I want to do for side income.

The main thing for me, would be 3D printing collectable figures or statues. I've seen other artists, selling such collectables for a couple hundred dollars each, and they normally sell about 50-100 figures to start off with.

I'd love to do something similar, give side show collectibles a run for their money! or create your own 40k style game However I still think the tech has a long way to go before it's more economical to use, and then you have to find someone that can created a mold tree for reproduction if you cant do this yourself. The Stan Winston school website has a bunch of videos on the subject, here's a cool video on producing an action video: and tested has some cool videos too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi...ICpb9B1qf7qjEOA

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by everlite: I posted an article about this on my blog the other day. You can see it here: article

I generate a modest amount of income from Istockphoto, Turbosquid and Gumroad. I think the trick to making money this way is good old, quantity, quality and originality. If you can tick those three boxes, you stand a good chance of making a little extra cash per month. Though it can take a few months to build up steam!

Beyond that I'd also recommend cross platform asset creation. By that I mean, create one piece of work that can be sold in multiple ways. For example I created this ship: click here I produced this for multiple platforms; I recording the process of creating the 3d ship and made this available as a tutorial via Gumroad, I rendered/painted the ship as high res matte painting and made that available on istockphoto as a stock image, I also recorded the matte painting process and made that available as a tutorial via Gumroad, I then uploaded the asset itself to Turbosquid. I could go one step further and create an animation and sell to various video libraries. The great thing about creating the image is that when people ask about the image I can tell them that the tutorial and the assets are all available through these platforms; so the image itself is a great vehicle to the other assets.

I think, many people in the industry that are in their mid 30's, have similar worries that in the current situation our creative energy, inner motivation, etc, our life isn't really sustainable. We are not our early 20's and I really feel like big companies suck our most valuable talents and will throw us away when we are done. Your solution is perfect in this sense. Creating our own intellectual properties and sell them in the internet makes perfect sense. Just thinking that many writers are able to live with their sole IP moneys, why can't we do the same. You are creating top notch visual assets so you definitely have enormous advantage in this "stock" job.

If I were you, I would move to a small, beautiful, sunny European city in Balkans, where you are a king with 2000USD a month.

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by everlite: I posted an article about this on my blog the other day. You can see it here: article

Cool article! you have a cool blog!)

12 December 2016
Let me break it down a little bit here.

1. Micro-Services - side money (voice over, music, acting, editing, pre-made CG templates, drawing)

www.fiverr.com
www.ebay.com
www.elancer.com
www.freelancer.com

Also on a side note if you have animation or can do videos under your belt try creating a video making website, outsource all the work including sales reps who get paid only when you do.

2. Creating Tutorials

Gumroad.com
Udemy.com

3. Digital Clothes Maker

Here is the idea on how to the business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0kmkYtYZTQ

4. Digital Asset Creator

Daz3d.com (very targeted market but formatting and rigging may be hard)
Renderosity.com (2nd place for Poser and DAZ models)
Turbosquid.com (boo, so bloated and lazy)
Rederotica.com (NSFW but very targeted if getting into those anatomically correct models, Poser/Daz )
CGtrader.com ( )

Concentrate of monsters, creatures, armor, military, sets, and clothes

5. Service broker

Personal website, outsource all the work including cold calls to businesses by sales reps working on 10% commission.

6. Create IP and market products.
www.youtube.com
www.webtoon.com
www.instagram.com

Then sale Tshirts and other paraphenilia. It doesn't have to be merchandise of your characters. Just relatable to the product.

I just wanted to add to Roberto's awesome list. Thanks for the breakdown.

02 February 2017
The original VFX artists of the film Iron Sky maintain the copyright to their work. This is due to the civil law tradition of copyright 'Droit d'auteur' in Finland. In particular, we never signed over the Adaptation Rights of our work. There is no work for hire doctrine either.

Thus, we are currently making plans to utilise our work again for games, and 3D printing etc and hopefully gain some confidence from investors.

I am selling 3D prints of the Valkyie UFO from Shapeways for instance.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/7...m-iron-sky-2012

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by bellwether: The original VFX artists of the film Iron Sky maintain the copyright to their work. This is due to the civil law tradition of copyright 'Droit d'auteur' in Finland. In particular, we never signed over the Adaptation Rights of our work. There is no work for hire doctrine either.

Thus, we are currently making plans to utilise our work again for games, and 3D printing etc and hopefully gain some confidence from investors.

I am selling 3D prints of the Valkyie UFO from Shapeways for instance.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/7...m-iron-sky-2012

Thank you.
But the million dollar question now is: is it working for you? How do you do with this kind of business/

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by boumay: Thank you.
But the million dollar question now is: is it working for you? How do you do with this kind of business/

Indeed. It is an unusual situation for the VFX artists to actually maintain the copyrights to major assets of a film such as in common law jurisdictions like the US and UK. However, Iron Sky was created by a bunch of amateurs who wanted to make a community production. It took hiring a lawyer, and a lawsuit to get people understand that this was actually the situation.

Furthermore, the Producers of the 2012 film licensed our work without permission to make a game and have embarked on raising funding to create a sequel themselves!! They only had rights for one film only. Nothing else.

Thus, it was only a few months ago that I obtained the 3D files from the courts. Never the less the producers are remaining quiet and not being open to the public that they don't actually own the rights...because they will have to give back the funding they raised I would imagine.

Also they have caused confusion as to who the proper rights owners are which hinders us a little because it confuses investors too.

So the first thing I did was put up the 3D print as an example of how the producers were powerless to stop me. I also visited a number of other Producers in Finland with the contracts so they could see for themselves. So many major industry people in Finland know this now.

Then I got together with one of the other artists who has set up a VR company and we made a VR demo for show at a local IDGA gathering.

As word is spreading then some VC investors are showing some sign of interest. So we will continue to make simple productions using the assets, to boost confidence further. Also, I will take more legal action against the previous producers to consolidate the situation further in the courts by suing them for overreach of the rights.

So it is early days yet but we have the legal rights to use our work for Sequels, Games, Books, Web Series, TV games etc etc. We have the Adaptation rights! We are going to use them.

Last edited by bellwether : 02 February 2017 at 06:00 AM.

reply share thread