Is the future of Rendering Game Engines?Using Unreal/Unity as a primary DCC Tool

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2015
Is the future of Rendering Game Engines?Using Unreal/Unity as a primary DCC Tool

I'll post this here and walk away..
Unreal Engine 4 - Kite Trailer (Tech Demo) running on GTX Titan X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6EMc6eu3c8#t=62
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

03 March 2015
Looks great. Game engines have really started reaching that critical mass level where they're good enough for many things now.

For the stylized standard pixar-esc animation look or even other simplified art directions, I can see people using realtime engines for production - possibly quick turn-around productions.

For matching realism and things that require high polygon counts, going to obviously need a software renderer.

03 March 2015
Man that looks great. Games won't need pre rendered cut scenes to make them look super nice anymore.

03 March 2015
Yeah there's fewer reasons to have a CG produced cut scene with the capabilities the new real-time engines have

Games are having fewer pre-render cut scenes these days already. The main reason to have them vs doing them in-engine is to hide loading times.

A lot of the pre-rendered cut scenes are slightly higher quality versions of the game engine so they look seemless with the real-time graphics....and cheaper to produce.

Last edited by sentry66 : 03 March 2015 at 07:31 AM.

03 March 2015
Originally Posted by sentry66: For matching realism and things that require high polygon counts, going to obviously need a software renderer.

But how do you respond to clients that will say something like, "the other company could do all this in real time, and it looked just fine to me?"

03 March 2015
Originally Posted by Sthu: But how do you respond to clients that will say something like, "the other company could do all this in real time, and it looked just fine to me?"

Or for 10 bucks? Not an argument. For some projects it might work, for some not. I don't know about the engine much, but the lighting is quite usual, just a regular skylight outdoors. It looked just like ingame. Animation and direction is good, but not the lighting or shading by today standards. But it might become better in 5 years.

03 March 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdZOSD1eT6k
I find Order 1886 even more impressive. After all its actual game : )

03 March 2015
Originally Posted by ViCoX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdZOSD1eT6k
I find Order 1886 even more impressive. After all its actual game : )

It's artistically great, but technically it's scanline of 1990.

03 March 2015
Originally Posted by Sthu: But how do you respond to clients that will say something like, "the other company could do all this in real time, and it looked just fine to me?"

A workflow that allows you to preview in real-time and then render in high quality? I'd show them the real time first, if they say it looks good you've saved yourself further work. If they can spot the difference show them the high quality and explain the time requirements for each.

04 April 2015
Yes, it is. This path has been coming for some time, it is just finally caching up. Some of the finer elements may still be pre-determined and some post will still go into it, but a bulk of the work (as far as rendering) will be real-time more and more.

Visual Engineering, Inc.
Creative Communication | Industry Consultation

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by BoBoZoBo: Yes, it is. This path has been coming for some time, it is just finally caching up. Some of the finer elements may still be pre-determined and some post will still go into it, but a bulk of the work (as far as rendering) will be real-time more and more.

I have to say the Pre-Determined bits are what's nice sometimes in game engines.
For example, you tick "Lens Flares" in the UE4 camera... and the thing gets you... automatic lens flares.

They don't appear exactly how you like... but where they do.. they look alright.. and you realize your time is better off focusing on other things. You let UE4 do the lens flares.

Sure beats trying to figure out how to "fake" them in 3D apps when the normal Bokeh nodes ain't cutting it.

Also these Reflection Spheres which seem to have no performance penalty, when in some 3D apps and traditional offline rendering, Reflections carry a heavy render time penalty.

I guess there's some kind of cheating going on.. But it's functional. It looks good about 99.9% of the time. So, once again, if the "automatic/predetermined" version of it looks fine... It looks fine.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 04 April 2015 at 11:27 PM.

04 April 2015
To help the conversation:
GTA V's PC Graphics Settings, Compared
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8WDPbvYbgg#t=114

06 June 2015
I'll drop this here:
Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Video
Published on Jun 6, 2015
Check out the incredible effects NVIDIA GameWorks brings to Batman Arkham Knight! Smoke and fog react to the movement in the fight scenes, including when a box is thrown or part of the floor blows up into piece. Paper debris gets kicked around as Batman takes on all the baddies. Enhanced rain allows the rain to naturally bead off when coming into contact with Batman and his cape.

Its Batman: Arkham Knight, The Way Its Meant to Be Played.

GameWorks Technology shown in the video:
Interactive Fog and Smoke:
Interactive Paper Debris
PhysX Destruction
Enhanced Rain

Follow us at:
www.twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce
www.facebook.com/NVIDIAGeForce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=50&v=zsjmLNZtvxk

06 June 2015
Yeah, this is definitely one of the best things about Game Engines... the "plant it and forget it" particle and sim FX.

You even forget it's there... but it's actually working for you in the background.

reply share thread