Adobe Will Only Offer Photoshop CS6 Upgrade Price to CS5 Owners

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2011   #1
Adobe Will Only Offer Photoshop CS6 Upgrade Price to CS5 Owners

Quote:
"
If you’ve been waiting to upgrade Photoshop CS3 or CS4 to CS6 when it’s released sometime next year, here’s some bad news: the upgrade price won’t apply to you. Starting with CS6, Adobe will be enforcing a new upgrade policy:
[...] we are changing our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions). If our customers are not yet on those versions, we’re offering a 20% discount through December 31, 2011 which will qualify them for upgrade pricing when we release CS6.

The existing policy is that customers with software from three versions back quality for upgrade pricing. For example, owners of CS2, CS3, and CS4 and upgrade to CS5. Buying the full version of Photoshop CS5 right now costs nearly $500, while the upgrade is only priced at ~$150."

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/16...-to-cs5-owners/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2011   #2
And there is blowback from this move:

Quote:
"
As president of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) I represent more than 70,000 Photoshop users around the world. However as I’m writing this open letter to you today, I would say that most of our 70,000 members have no idea about the upgrade policy changes you just announced, or about how these changes will affect them.

From the information I’ve gathered, it appears to me that this new upgrade policy for the next version of Adobe Photoshop and the Creative Suite (presumably called CS6) will leave a significant number of your customers with no affordable upgrade path to Photoshop CS6 or the Creative Suite.

It’s my understanding that when the next version of Photoshop and the Creative Suite is released, if you do not already own Photoshop version CS5 or CS5.5 (or the 5 or 5.5 Creative Suite):

(a) You will not be eligible to upgrade to Photoshop CS6 (or the CS6 Creative Suite). Instead the only way to get Photoshop CS6 at that point will be to repurchase the entire product again at its full price (presumably $699 US). If you’re a CS4 Creative Suite User, you’ll have to buy the entire suite all over again to move to CS6.

(b) For Photoshop CS4, or CS3 users, their only real option is to pay to upgrade now to CS5.5 (though you are offering a 20% upgrade discount upgrade until the end of the year), and then to pay again to upgrade when Photoshop CS6 is released, or sign up for your new monthly subscription plan."

Full letter here:
http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2011/archives/22903

Old 12 December 2011   #3
Annnd..

Adobe responds to Creative Suite pricing criticism

“Our aggressive subscription price for Adobe Creative Cloud – $49 per month for every Adobe Creative Suite application, our new touch apps and new cloud-based services – will provide incredible value for the creative community and we will clarify and promote these benefits to our customers over the next few months,” reads the statement. “The changes to our upgrade policy, for customers who would like to continue to purchase CS software as a perpetual license, benefits customers who are on the latest versions of our software. We have promotions that enable customers to upgrade to the latest CS version ahead of CS6 at a reduced rate – at the moment we are offering 20% off any upgrade to the latest version of their Adobe software.”

The response to Adobe’s pricing has been strong throughout the community, but that stands to reason considering how many creative pros use the company’s software.

Rob note: The cloud is coming for us...

Old 12 December 2011   #4
In most other cases, no other software developer allows for same rate upgrades if you are several generations behind. Adobe's policy previously has been excessively lenient.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 12 December 2011   #5
Originally Posted by PerryDS: In most other cases, no other software developer allows for same rate upgrades if you are several generations behind. Adobe's policy previously has been excessively lenient.

Which makes this sudden change to this all or nothing approach even tougher to swallow. Why such extremes? Wouldn’t a gradual increase in upgrade price as you fall further behind be more reasonable?

CS5 -> CS6 = $299
CS4 -> CS6 = $549
CS3 -> CS7 = $799

etc.

I guess we have Autodesk to thank for this.

Old 12 December 2011   #6
Wow, I didn't think in a million years that I'd ever seriously consider GIMP, yet here I am thanks to Adobe. Not because of the upgrade pricing in the OP, but because of the Cloud in their justifying response.

Seems the options are limited, I may need to code my own to get the features and workflow I want and need.

Old 12 December 2011   #7
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Which makes this sudden change to this all or nothing approach even tougher to swallow. Why such extremes? Wouldn’t a gradual increase in upgrade price as you fall further behind be more reasonable?

Agreed. A tiered upgrade path would be a better way to go.

I bought my PS upgrade shortly after this news first came out. Fortunately, the sales prices are a good deal if you plan on sticking with Adobe. It'll be interesting to see how successful Adobe will be with this new upgrade plan. I just hope that this isn't the coming trend for other software makers.

Thread Closed share thread