Geometrical calculations : points, lines, planes : intersections, distances, angles

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2008   #46
3 Planes Intersection

Here is a function for calculating the intersection of 3 planes.

At present, that is just a Plane-Plane intersection followed by a line-Plane Intersection but I think It should exist a shorter way to calculate that.

fn PPPIntersection pA nA pB nB pC nC =
(
    vD= cross nA nB
    perp= cross nA vD
    pD= pA + (dot (pB-pA) nB) * perp / (dot perp nB)
    pD + (dot (pC-pD) nC)*vD / (dot vD nC)
)

@Anubis: I am curious to know if this code returns always the expected result (except of course if the planes are parallel.)

Old 09 September 2008   #47
Circumcenter of a triangle

i know that Kameleon already posted a function for the finding the circumcenter of a triangle on the previous page, but to be honest I have no idea how it works, so I have written a different solution using barycentric coordinates:
fn circumcenter p1 p2 p3 = 
(
BC = distance p2 p3
CA = distance p3 p1
AB = distance p1 p2

baryCoords = [ (BC^2*(CA^2+AB^2-BC^2)), (CA^2*(AB^2+BC^2-CA^2)), (AB^2*(BC^2+CA^2-AB^2)) ]
triArea = baryCoords.x + baryCoords.y + baryCoords.z
baryCoords /= triArea -- normalize the barycentric coordinates
-- substitute in for P = uA + vB + wC
baryCoords.x * p1 + baryCoords.y * p2 + baryCoords.z * p3
)
References:
Circumcenter @ Wikipedia for the barycentric circumcenter forumla
6th post on this page for the formula to convert from barycentric to cartesian coordinates (P=uA+vB+wC)

Old 02 February 2009   #48
Essential library

Hi guys,
I put together an essential library of geometrical calculations functions. They're approximately those already shown here a little polished, so this thread was back credited too. You can find them here.

- Enrico

Old 06 June 2009   #49
thank you everyone!

thank you everyone! great collection, found it super useful!

also thank you Syncviews for providing us with such informative site : )
will be referring to your site frequently!

Old 09 September 2010   #50
What about getting an intersection between 2 curves? Is it a matter of checking each step in the segment (as lines)?

Additionally, is there a way to do a fast check on a "spaghetti" of splines to narrow down possible intersections? I looked into some variation of delaunay (at least the radial part) but it's not really suited.

Old 09 September 2010   #51
Originally Posted by duke: What about getting an intersection between 2 curves? Is it a matter of checking each step in the segment (as lines)?

Additionally, is there a way to do a fast check on a "spaghetti" of splines to narrow down possible intersections? I looked into some variation of delaunay (at least the radial part) but it's not really suited.

what curves are you asking about? Bezier? are you looking for a solution for 2D intersection? before my answering the question... why do you need it?

Old 03 March 2011   #52
Originally Posted by Gravey: i know that Kameleon already posted a function for the finding the circumcenter of a triangle on the previous page, but to be honest I have no idea how it works, so I have written a different solution using barycentric coordinates:
fn circumcenter p1 p2 p3 = 
(
BC = distance p2 p3
CA = distance p3 p1
AB = distance p1 p2

baryCoords = [ (BC^2*(CA^2+AB^2-BC^2)), (CA^2*(AB^2+BC^2-CA^2)), (AB^2*(BC^2+CA^2-AB^2)) ]
triArea = baryCoords.x + baryCoords.y + baryCoords.z
baryCoords /= triArea -- normalize the barycentric coordinates
-- substitute in for P = uA + vB + wC
baryCoords.x * p1 + baryCoords.y * p2 + baryCoords.z * p3
)
References:
Circumcenter @ Wikipedia for the barycentric circumcenter forumla
6th post on this page for the formula to convert from barycentric to cartesian coordinates (P=uA+vB+wC)

You just made me laugh my heart out. Your function just shows the difference between a guy that knows shit about math (me) and one who does (you) lol

Cheers!
http://www.ycdivfx.com

Old 12 December 2011   #53
came across this thought it could be useful in this thread. sorry if it's been linked to before

Old 12 December 2012   #54
theres some very useful functions in PFActions_GlobalFunctions.cpp from the SDK can be found in maxsdk\samples\ParticleFlow\Actions.

some of functions include....

float MeshVolume(Mesh* mesh);
bool IsPointInsideMesh(Mesh* mesh, Point3 p);
bool ClosestPointOnMesh(const Point3& toPoint, Mesh* mesh, Point3& worldLocation, Point2& localCoords, int& faceIndex, float& dist2);

Old 12 December 2012   #55
Originally Posted by claude666: theres some very useful functions in PFActions_GlobalFunctions.cpp from the SDK can be found in maxsdk\samples\ParticleFlow\Actions.

some of functions include....

float MeshVolume(Mesh* mesh);
 bool IsPointInsideMesh(Mesh* mesh, Point3 p);
 bool ClosestPointOnMesh(const Point3& toPoint, Mesh* mesh, Point3& worldLocation, Point2& localCoords, int& faceIndex, float& dist2);

nice catch! thanks

Old 03 March 2013   #56
distance between points on a sphere

Ok this should be simple but clearly not this afternoon.

1. if we have a sphere with radius r
2. N# points evenly distributed across the sphere
3. What is the average distance between the points?

Thanks

-Michael

Old 06 June 2014   #57
View Space, World Space, Screen coords

as a reminder...

just found this useful post from Enrico Gullotti about screen coords, view space, world space :
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...612&postcount=3

This helped me understanding how to draw freeform nodes on viewport.
Thanks a lot to him !

Old 07 July 2014   #58
@All - Wonderful thread! Thank you CGTalk for keeping it open!

@ricozone - Thanks for sharing this link! Great addition to my collection and actually giving me some inspiration to tackle few scripting tasks that i got at work!

- stas
www.stascrash.com

Old 08 August 2014   #59
not a geometrical calc but a useful bit of math for export/import writers, posting it because it doesn't seem to be published anywhere on the web.

converting 3ds max glossiness to specular power

if glossiness in the 0-100 range (mxs)

if glossiness in the 0-1 range (sdk)
in reverse it would be...

if glossiness in the 0-100 range

Last edited by Klvnk : 11 November 2015 at 06:43 PM.

Old 11 November 2014   #60
thought i'd put this one here too, given an array of verts with a structure some thing like

and an array of face indices where there are 3 indices per face the following code will generate Tangents and Binormals

Last edited by Klvnk : 11 November 2015 at 06:44 PM.

reply share thread