CGTALK MAXSCRIPT CHALLENGE - Topics and Suggestions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 07 July 2005   #16
Motion stack instead of Motion Panel!Like Mod stack...

Old 07 July 2005   #17
A "Make Something Cool" button! We really need one of those! I've heard that in Maya and XSI, there's like one button you push, and VIOLA~! You have something cool! Kinda like that MR button called, "Make Pretty"

Old 07 July 2005   #18
Slice or trim by Poly

I would dearly love to have a tool to slice or trim Polies using other Polyies as a the cutting edge. even if the polies don't intersect, the tool would trim on the projected intersection.

A simpler tool would be to align the Slice plane to a normal.

I'm not a scripter and rely heavily on those gifted as such. I wish I had more to give.

I look forward to your ideas/comments.

jonah

Old 07 July 2005   #19
An electricity/lightning bolt generator, with animatable end points and lots of controls for speed, size, color, forks, etc.

Kind of like this: http://digimation.com/software/asp/...7&category_id=1

I can think of a few different ways to do this, so the results should be nicely varied.

Old 07 July 2005   #20
I'd like to see someone make a nuclear sub burst out of the water, anyone seen that on down persicope?

Old 07 July 2005   #21
Just another idea ..

(l) SNOW/RAIN STORM
A script to create an animated snowstorm or rain effect in a scene eg. using pflow. Could have settings for intensity, wind direction, wind force / random windbursts.

(m) SPECIAL DISPLACEMENT
A script for fun to run through a b/w bitmap and randomly (or in eg. jumps of say 10 pixels on the bitmap) create a geometry object (eg. a box) for each pixel eg. with a height or other setting based on the "blackness" of the given pixel (eg. white resulting in tall boxes and grey in smaller boxes).

(n) WAVES
A script to create foam on top of waves, eg. combining the wave modifier with pflow, or some other method.

Old 07 July 2005   #22
Have todays Dilbert load as the start up screen. Or just random images from a folder. Easy one I know but it would be fun.

Old 07 July 2005   #23
Just letting you know the new challenge will be up in a few hours.

Old 07 July 2005   #24
How about a maxscript that utilised Max 7's editable poly GrowSelect function, and used an incremental setMapFace operation to allow creeping textures.

I only ask as i could really use one!!

Old 07 July 2005   #25
Originally Posted by xlars.dk:
(n) WAVES
A script to create foam on top of waves, eg. combining the wave modifier with pflow, or some other method.

I vote for these kinds of tools as well... maybe something, that simplifies ocean-animation in general, like a plane-mesh with a distance-dependant density, and showing only faces visible in the camera frustrum. And of course something for creating foam, white caps (though that would probably have to be a plug-in, rather than a script) and maybe particle flow splashes. I know, Dreamscape offers these, but I guess it should be possible to script.

Furtermore, I'd like to see some scripts making it easier to create natural environments, like scripts for tree-placement, grass creation and animation, especially keeping an eye on polygon count (so mostly using textured planes).

Last edited by Laserschwert : 07 July 2005 at 10:19 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #26
The new challenge will be up in a few hours (had a late film night!)

Old 08 August 2005   #27
I'm noticing a severe lack of attendence in the maxscript challenges. What do we need to do to make them work for you?

Old 08 August 2005   #28
erilaz,

I am too slow to solve the challange in my lunch time, so please extend my lunchtime or make me faster

Still like/love to "think" about the challanges, ie the idea of generating textures with maxscript.

Maybe "challange" is a difficult approach as , - I can only speak for myself -, many tasks at work are challenges.

Georg

Old 08 August 2005   #29
Originally Posted by jonahhawk: I would dearly love to have a tool to slice or trim Polies using other Polyies as a the cutting edge. even if the polies don't intersect, the tool would trim on the projected intersection.

A simpler tool would be to align the Slice plane to a normal.

I'm not a scripter and rely heavily on those gifted as such. I wish I had more to give.

I look forward to your ideas/comments.

jonah

I scripted a tool to do something like that a couple of weeks ago while at work... will post it up when I got a mo

Old 08 August 2005   #30
Hi Erilaz,

Well it has been Siggraph week so I imagine a lot of people have been busy into the lead-up to that.
I also think that some of the challenges so far have maybe been a little too in depth for a week for the normal full time employee of a 3d sweatshop. Maybe there should be two categories, a month task and a weekly task.
The weekly task would be more basic scripts, like useful functions:

select duplicate faces,
deselect invisible edges,
select spline segments that are zero length or even as stated above,
align slice plane to selected faces -- i have one, download it here jonahhawk
explode elements (and many other things that were in footools once!)

or basic utilities:
coffee table script (challenge no. 1)
rename all bitmap paths

Then the monthkly taks could be something a little more full on like the footprints task,

a material converter,
project manager (to manage scene resources),
storyboard editor,
and some of the things that have already been suggested.

I'm just thinking this might help younger scripters to learn a bit more rather than feeling a bit put off by more advanced scripters.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

cheers,

Josh.

Last edited by j-man : 08 August 2005 at 04:48 PM.

reply share thread