a discussion about a delicate matter...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
let's talk about icons readability. let me use icons above as a sample.
i've easy guessed the meaning of buttons 1,2,5, and 7... after some extra thinking i've guessed about 3 and after that 4. but only because i know what we can do with groups (open, close).
icon 6 is ... make take a place because it's additional to max feature, and might be represented with any icon. button number 8 is absolutely confusing. it looks exactly as max "Zoom Extends" and i as a user expect to get similar action.
so we have 4 from 8. does it good or bad result?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by denisT: i am asking you all... what do you think about icons? what does make them easier to read? where can image buttons work better than text buttons? and... is it a good idea to provide both image and text?

I posted my opinion about icons.
In example that Mike (try2learn) showed us it seems to me that for his "group" tool is nice way to represent already known Group menu options as icons. Like toolbar with macro buttons.
Combine text with icons in this case would be needless. But tooltips must be present

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by denisT: it looks exactly as max "Zoom Extends" and i as a user expect to get similar action.

You have to take into account that this is only a first impression.
The user should place the cursor over the button to see tooltip description, next time will know for sure that it's not "Zoom Extends". I hope that this is the basic rule for every software not just max.

06 June 2013
off:
try2script, until AD fix the problem with docking in max2014 get the code from your script and create macroscripts for each icon. Add the appropriate icon as icon for the proper macro, install all macros and then you can add buttons on the main toolbar with your icons.

Quote: denisT: another thing... every tool (even simple) has to be 'self-protected' from a casual user. it should not provoke this user to push buttons with no idea what they do.

Add tooltips. Provide Help file.
If the user push the button there must be something like this:

-- if the code that buttons execute works only with editable poly object then:
on btn_execude pressed do
(
	if classof selection[1] == Editable_Poly then
	(
	   --
	)
	else
		messagebox "Works with Editable Poly objects only" title:"Invalid selection"
)

and so on.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by miauu: Add tooltips. Provide Help file. And so on.

Kostadin got a point.
Let's make sum of theses:
#1 Tooltips
#2 Help file or comments inside code
#3 Error check with message box description.
#4 ...?

06 June 2013
let's say we have these 2 btns :

and

disableselect.png
and
disableselect_red.png

How to make it work in standard max UI? even with

Quote: macroscripts for each icon

Here is the script for groups UI

Groups.ms

Is it possible to make them work like my btns
Quote: with imgtag
?

PS: Any suggestions about these 2 icons are welcome!
Quote: button number 8 is absolutely confusing. it looks exactly as max "Zoom Extends" and i as a user expect to get similar action.

Last edited by try2script : 06 June 2013 at 08:55 PM.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by gazybara: You have to take into account that this is only a first impression.
The user should place the cursor over the button to see tooltip description, next time will know for sure that it's not "Zoom Extends". I hope that this is the basic rule for every software not just max.

this is not true. extra tool can not use icons from main tool with different meaning except case when the icon is designed for multi-purpose use ("maxscript" icon for example)

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by try2script:

Look at the code of this script RTTAssist. It is build with imgtag controls and you will see how you can change the image(icon) of the imgtag when the imgtag is clicked with mouse(with left mouse button, middle mouse button, right mouse button), or when the mouse is over the imgtag, etc.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by try2script:
Is it possible to make them work like my btns ?

Hey Mike do not get me wrong but I think that your topic is for new thread. Here we talk about maxscript UI in general an basic rules.

06 June 2013
A UI, that uses icons with text and buttons(imgtag actualy).

06 June 2013
Ok

I agree! Srry! I can delete my past messages, however it could be interesting for other new scripters! Let's talk about General then! Srry again please!

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by miauu: Look at the code of this script RTTAssist.

Thx miauu! You're very friendly!

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by denisT: this is not true. extra tool can not use icons from main tool with different meaning except case when the icon is designed for multi-purpose use ("maxscript" icon for example)

You are right is not good to use built-in UI icons. In a previous post I thought of other icons (user icons) that resemble the max or any other system icons.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by try2script: PS: Any suggestions about these 2 icons are welcome!

follow your own made idea...
# all your icons should be about these "four boxes" that we can see on icon #1. that's the thing is associated with "group"
# in max icons set "selection" is associated with "up pointing arrow" (it used in a lot of icons in many tools).
# so your icon should be a combination of these two things

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by try2script: I agree! Srry! I can delete my past messages, however it could be interesting for other new scripters! Let's talk about General then! Srry again please!

Now I'm bad person here. I'm not bad you know

Thread Closed share thread