Maxscript Tool Wishlist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Maxscript Tool Wishlist

I've really enjoyed working with the community here on cgtalk and spending time with you guys developing tools for 3ds max. I'd love to use this thread as a place where people could post ideas or tool expansion ideas. I'm always looking for new fun tools to create whether it is a widely usable idea, or a fun create crafty simple tool. If any of your guys have ideas, I encourage you to post them for all of us to see. Then depending on which ones seems most interesting I'll start a thread labeled WLT_"Project Name"
That will be the place in which I'll document the process and leave it open for everyone to place their input and ideas.

I look forward to hearing some of your ideas....be creative. Let's create some stuff that hasn't been done before.

Idea List
  1. Eye Object with controls for dilating eye
www.JokerMartini.com

Last edited by JokerMartini : 02 February 2013 at 10:11 PM.

02 February 2013
Your suggestion for a "tool" seems a little too vague, in my opinion. What would you mainly like to see? Tools for creating rigs? Primitives? Modifiers? Modeling tools? Whole workflow tools that have multiple scripts? SDK tools? Functions? Its like asking for an idea for a new thread for the main Maxscript and SDK forum. Or to develop an idea for a new scriptspot script. Also there have already been general wishlist threads for max on here before.

02 February 2013
Any ideas are worth saying, whether it's a rig related tool or a modeling related tool.
www.JokerMartini.com

02 February 2013
You should ask in the general 3dsmax forum. Wishes are made by users, not necessarily developers.

02 February 2013
True,
Well maybe I'll move it over to that forum.

I'd just like to hear some ideas of what tools people would like to have whether it's and object plugin or a modifier....etc. I believe there are so many good ideas out there but not enough people share and communicate with one another to develop these kinds of tools. That's one way our toolset grows in this industry.
www.JokerMartini.com

02 February 2013
Well, what's the end goal of the tool after its done? To host it on a site like, scriptspot, or to sell it in another package? How will you judge which is best? Really its like asking to make a software application, and judge which is better... Maybe you should limit it to a single script in a more specific area of the application.

02 February 2013
You could always start your own mini challenge threads, where you have each mini challenge be in a specific area, like modeling or texturing and pick the best idea for that mini challenge, before you start it.

02 February 2013
Yeah those are good ideas. I think that would be a good way of getting people motivated to contribute ideas and share processes with one another.
www.JokerMartini.com

02 February 2013
I'm really into the idea of using Backburner for funky tasks at the moment. My latest ones have been using cmdjob's to copy files locally (say, copying a set of plugins from a networked location to the maxroot\plugins\ folder of each machine). Another is to restart vrayspawner on each machine for distributed rendering.

Any other ideas like this would be great!

Edit: the idea is that these tools are wrapped up in a nice MxS interface so they can be used by any of the artists. Additionally, maxscript is used to generate the .bat files used by the nodes, some of which are quick large and wouldn't be practical to do by hand.

Last edited by DanGrover : 02 February 2013 at 11:36 AM.

02 February 2013
I guess the point would be creating tools that would be practical outside of just an isolated task like auto-rigs ( I yet have to find some time to work on my Method rigger that I posted about at the end of last year ) or asset management tools.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by JokerMartini: I've really enjoyed working with the community here on cgtalk and spending time with you guys developing tools for 3ds max. I'd love to use this thread as a place where people could post ideas or tool expansion ideas. I'm always looking for new fun tools to create whether it is a widely usable idea, or a fun create crafty simple tool.

do you want a real fun and challenge? write new Rollout Creator. make it smarter, more robust, and being able to support dotnet controls.

04 April 2013
I've been thinking about a custom manipulator possibly, to show UV Seams/Shell Borders on the model/over the model, without a UVW Unwrap Modifier.

I'm not sure this is possible, but the xView viewport tool has similar things. Showing Open Edges.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Kickflipkid687: I've been thinking about a custom manipulator possibly, to show UV Seams/Shell Borders on the model/over the model, without a UVW Unwrap Modifier.

I'm not sure this is possible, but the xView viewport tool has similar things. Showing Open Edges.

it's easy to do with scripted xView. a scripted manipulator will be too 'heavy'... slow and memory expensive.

04 April 2013
How about a polygonal version of the Nurbs two rail sweep.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by rodbrew: How about a polygonal version of the Nurbs two rail sweep.

do you have any idea about its cool using? the thing has to be generally useful i guess...

Thread Closed share thread