c++ (learning edition)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
c++ (learning edition)

Hey guys,
So I'm been wondering for quite awhile now how is a c++ tool built for 3ds max. I'd love to begin exploring this avenue and was hoping to get some guidance from the community here on cgtalk. With that being said does anyone have a good starting point or some examples to show.
Like a rough draft as you will, laying out the assembly line for how these tools are built. By the end of this I'd like to try and build a tool/plugin, even as something as simple as a wirecolor changing tool or transform manipulating tool. Just something using what I learn here.
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 06 June 2012   #2
Thinking about it,
I would really enjoy taking the time to develop this Spline Select tool in c++ as learning experience, as the tool itself is not very complicated. I'm just not sure where to being with any of this.

The tool itself "spline select" just collects all the sampled point3 values along a given spline and then does a distance compare to all the positions of the selected objects.
www.JokerMartini.com

Last edited by JokerMartini : 06 June 2012 at 04:18 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #3
I would probably start here.

-Eric

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Anyone know of some programmers who would be available for some freelance gigs converting my maxscripts into c++ plugins for max?
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 10 October 2012   #5
You're welcome to drop me an email or pm if you have a specific project. I'm always happy to discuss ideas.

As for developing plugins, from my experience with it, I can say that the 3dsMax SDK is the most user-unfriendly, under-documented, convoluted SDK I've ever seen. There are good reasons/excuses for the current state, but that doesn't make working with it less difficult. So I'd say think twice about whether developing a plugin using it is really worth the trouble.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
I completely agree with that. It seems to have a very limiting resource/example learning documentation and community. Although it is intimidating and the learning curve is steep, I know there are many positive things that can come from learning it.

Speaking of which. I was messing around with the example scripts that ship with the sdk and I was wondering could someone explain how to extract a project from a solution into it's own solution.

Say for instance I want to take geoSphere from the sdk solution pack and extract it into its own solution of geosphere. How is that done? Because I want to take existing samples and modify them and mess around.
www.JokerMartini.com

Last edited by JokerMartini : 10 October 2012 at 06:29 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Pier would be good, there is also Marius Silaghi and all the new plugins he has been creating recently.

I would definitely let whoever you are working with know this is part of a learning exercise and that you would need the C++ source to learn from and manipulate as needed.

-Eric

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Thanks Eric,
I've talked to Marius and he is unavailable for any freelance.

I'm going through some of the help file stuff that comes with max and the sample sdk files.
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 10 October 2012   #9
I have been learning the max sdk the last 2 weeks and continuing ...
And yes, the learning curve is steep, but rewarding. But if my colleague was not here it would have taken me a much longer time ...

There are some video tutorials and webcast training for free here :
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...3112&id=7481355

Old 10 October 2012   #10
John, it's obvious we are suffering from the same ailment. I have a collection of functions I'm wanting to move to SDK to speed them up and I'm closer to self-decapitation than I've ever been (if you don't count the twelve hours I spent in a car with my father-in-law recently listening to non-stop Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh...).

I've found numerous examples in the docs with typos (that won't compile directly), broken links, class docs with not one actual shred of documentation... and my favorite is the comments in the class definitions meta data that explain things like this: "which pertains to ." TO WHAT!?!?! I'm seeing that a LOT when using the C# implementation at least.

The .NET/C# docs are very skimpy on examples and often refer straight back to the SDK/C++ (which has different syntax, methodology). It's driving me crazy!

Developer of:
Wall Worm Tools for the Source Game Engine
CorVex Level Design Plugin

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Do not forget that there is a recent webcast for free on the Max SDK :
http://download.autodesk.com/media/...l_Recording.zip

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Originally Posted by wallworm: I've found numerous examples in the docs with typos (that won't compile directly), broken links, class docs with not one actual shred of documentation... and my favorite is the comments in the class definitions meta data that explain things like this: "which pertains to ." TO WHAT!?!?! I'm seeing that a LOT when using the C# implementation at least.

The .NET/C# docs are very skimpy on examples and often refer straight back to the SDK/C++ (which has different syntax, methodology). It's driving me crazy!

Yes, the .NET SDK wrapper is even worse. The documentation issue you describe is something I reported on a beta half a year ago too. Basically all class references in the function documentation of the SDK are not working in the .NET documentation. That makes most parts of the documentation very hard to understand indeed.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread