portfolio
John Martini
CG Supervisor, 3D, Maxscript, VFX
Ingenuity Engine
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to JokerMartini
lo

Hey lo,
So I've built the script into the structural format like you mentioned.
This is what I've got to far.
Just change the dir variable to a directory with folders containing scripts and it should be good to go.
All dynamically created controls.

So if you guys want to check it out and let me know your thoughts about it that would be great. Thanks

Code:
global exampleDotNetTool --//Variables dir = @"C:\Users\IEVFX\Desktop\trash\scripts" --//Main Scripts directory dirArray = GetDirectories (dir+"/*") --//Get subfolders in directory parentFolders = for d in dirArray collect (trimright (filenameFromPath d) "\\") --//Array which stores just the names of the subfolders struct exampleDotNetToolStr ( --// components form, parentBtns, childBtns, --// handlers fn parentClicked s e = ( for b in exampleDotNetTool.childBtns do b.visible = b.tag == s.tag ), fn childClicked s e = ( format "child of group % pressed\n" s.tag ), --// initialization functions fn controlFactory type text backColor X Y W H tag = ( local ctr = dotNetObject type ctr.text = text ctr.bounds = dotNetObject "System.Drawing.Rectangle" X Y W H ctr.backColor = (dotNetClass "System.Drawing.Color").fromArgb backColor.a backColor.r backColor.g backColor.b ctr.tag = tag ctr ), fn initializeForm = ( form = dotNetObject "maxCustomControls.maxForm" form.showInTaskbar = false form.text = "Dotnet Tool Example" form.bounds = dotNetObject "System.Drawing.Rectangle" 100 100 250 300 form.controls.addRange parentBtns form.controls.addRange childBtns local sysPointer = dotNetObject "System.IntPtr" (windows.getMaxHWND()) local maxHandle = dotNetObject "maxCustomControls.win32HandleWrapper" sysPointer form.show maxHandle ), fn initializeControls = ( local parentBtnDefs = #() local childBtnDefs = #() local pos = 10 --//Create Groups for i = 1 to parentFolders.count do ( sFiles = #() sFiles = getFiles (dirArray[i] + "*.ms*") groupName = (parentFolders[i] as string) groupColor = (color (i*50) 130 150) newGroup = #("Button", groupName,groupColor, pos, 10, 70, 30, i) append parentBtnDefs newGroup --// Create children for each group if sFiles.count > 0 do ( cPos = 40 for n = 1 to sFiles.count do ( ChildName = getFIleNameFile sFiles[n] newChild = #("Button", ChildName,groupColor, pos, cPos, 70, 30, i) append childBtnDefs newChild cPos += 30 ) ) pos +=70 ) parentBtns = for b in parentBtnDefs collect (controlFactory b[1] b[2] b[3] b[4] b[5] b[6] b[7] b[8]) for b in parentBtns do dotnet.addEventHandler b "Click" parentClicked childBtns = for b in childBtnDefs collect (controlFactory b[1] b[2] b[3] b[4] b[5] b[6] b[7] b[8]) for b in childBtns do dotnet.addEventHandler b "Click" childClicked initializeForm() ), init_trigger = initializeControls() --auto-initialize the controls on struct creation ) ::exampleDotNetTool = exampleDotNetToolStr()
www.JokerMartini.com

Last edited by JokerMartini : 10-28-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #32
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

A few suggestions:

* groupColor = (color (i*50) 130 150) will only work for 5 groups or less, otherwise the red component will go over 255 and dotnet will raise an exception.

* You will probably want to initialize all child buttons to be invisible at startup.

* You can also move the first 3 global variables (dir, dirArray, parentFolders) into the struct. The nice thing about encompassing a dotnet tool in a struct is that you don't pollute the global space and avoid collisions with other scripts. For example, leaving the variable 'dir' as a global variable is bound to get you in trouble at some point or another.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #33
JokerMartini
Expert

portfolio
John Martini
Ingenuity Engine
Los Angeles, USA

Thank you for overlooking that and giving the suggestions.

As far as the color goes I'm going to end up doing an array of colors because I'll know ahead of time how many groups there will be and I'll want to control it.

ex.
Code:
groupColor = #((color 74 134 230),(color 119 187 68),(color 203 73 73))--//Blue,Green,Red

I appreciate all your help with this lo.

I set the visible state right above the initializeForm() after it adds the event handler.
Code:
for b in childBtns do b.visible = false

As far as the global variables going into the structure that is a great point to make. It makes complete sense and a good mention.
I'm sure many people have used dir as a variable. I use it quite often.

Next would be connecting the actual script to the button. In doing so I would just store that along with everything else in the tag property correct?

newGroup = #("Button", groupName,groupColor[i], pos, 10, 70, 30, i, FilePath)

then when the tag is referenced for the visiblity property I'll just change it to reference part one of the array in the tag.

b.tag = (groupVisibility,"c:\\users\destop\scripts\Trees.ms")
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #34
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

looks like you're on the right path

Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #35
JokerMartini
Expert

portfolio
John Martini
Ingenuity Engine
Los Angeles, USA

Awesome

This is great.
The more I become familiar with the help file the easier and more smooth things will develop as well.

I'll go ahead and make another round of developments over the weekend and the beginning of next week before my next post.
I'll have some new things and ideas to try and conquer.
Till next week!

Have a good weekend guys.

JokerMartini
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #36
TimHawker
Frequenter
portfolio
Tim Hawker
CGI Artist
RTT AG
Germany

Nice work John, looks like you're getting up to speeds with dotNet very quickly Looking forward to the results you post up soon.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #37
JokerMartini
Expert

portfolio
John Martini
Ingenuity Engine
Los Angeles, USA

Combine

Now I'm wanting to combine these two ideas.
This first script snippet is the main base of the script.
The second snippet is the new addition I want to mix into the first. I want to use the second snippet to create all the children buttons so they are vertically aligned.
Special thanks to Paul Neal for the second snippet of code.

Snippet 1
Code:
global exampleDotNetTool struct exampleDotNetToolStr ( --// components form, parentBtns, childBtns, --// handlers fn parentClicked s e = ( for b in exampleDotNetTool.childBtns do b.visible = b.tag == s.tag ), fn childClicked s e = ( format "child of group % pressed\n" s.tag ), --// initialization functions fn controlFactory type text backColor X Y W H tag = ( local ctr = dotNetObject type ctr.text = text ctr.bounds = dotNetObject "System.Drawing.Rectangle" X Y W H ctr.backColor = (dotNetClass "System.Drawing.Color").fromArgb backColor.a backColor.r backColor.g backColor.b ctr.tag = tag ctr ), fn initializeForm = ( form = dotNetObject "maxCustomControls.maxForm" form.showInTaskbar = false form.text = "Dotnet Tool Example" form.bounds = dotNetObject "System.Drawing.Rectangle" 100 100 250 300 form.controls.addRange parentBtns form.controls.addRange childBtns local sysPointer = dotNetObject "System.IntPtr" (windows.getMaxHWND()) local maxHandle = dotNetObject "maxCustomControls.win32HandleWrapper" sysPointer form.show maxHandle ), fn initializeControls = ( --//Variables dir = @"C:\Users\IEVFX\Desktop\trash\scripts" --//Main Scripts directory dirArray = GetDirectories (dir+"/*") --//Get subfolders in directory parentFolders = for d in dirArray collect (trimright (filenameFromPath d) "\\") --//Array which stores just the names of the subfolders local parentBtnDefs = #() local childBtnDefs = #() local pos = 10 --//Create Groups for i = 1 to parentFolders.count do ( sFiles = #() sFiles = getFiles (dirArray[i] + "*.ms*") groupName = (parentFolders[i] as string) groupColor = #((color 74 134 230),(color 119 187 68),(color 203 73 73))--//Blue,Green,Red, newGroup = #("Button", groupName,groupColor[i], pos, 10, 70, 30, i) append parentBtnDefs newGroup --// Create children for each group if sFiles.count > 0 do ( cPos = 40 for n = 1 to sFiles.count do ( ChildName = getFIleNameFile sFiles[n] newChild = #("Button", ChildName,groupColor[i], pos, cPos, 70, 30, i) append childBtnDefs newChild cPos += 30 ) ) pos +=70 ) parentBtns = for b in parentBtnDefs collect (controlFactory b[1] b[2] b[3] b[4] b[5] b[6] b[7] b[8]) for b in parentBtns do dotnet.addEventHandler b "Click" parentClicked childBtns = for b in childBtnDefs collect (controlFactory b[1] b[2] b[3] b[4] b[5] b[6] b[7] b[8]) for b in childBtns do dotnet.addEventHandler b "Click" childClicked for b in childBtns do b.visible = false initializeForm() ), init_trigger = initializeControls() --auto-initialize the controls on struct creation ) ::exampleDotNetTool = exampleDotNetToolStr()

Snippet 2
Code:
try(form.close())catch() Ccolor = dotnetclass "system.drawing.color" bt=dotNetObject "button" bt.flatStyle=bt.flatStyle.flat bt.backColor=bt.backColor.blue bt.flatappearance.bordercolor = Ccolor.blue bt.flatappearance.mouseoverbackcolor = Ccolor.lightblue bt.flatappearance.mousedownbackcolor = Ccolor.blue bt.size=dotNetObject "system.drawing.size" 24 64 bt.location=dotNetObject "system.drawing.point" 10 10 font=dotNetObject "System.Drawing.Font" "Arial" 8 brush=dotNetObject "System.Drawing.SolidBrush" (dotNetClass "system.drawing.color").white fn btPaint sender arg= ( --Set a variable to make it easier to use for the graphics engine. g=arg.graphics --Move the starting point of the text over and down. g.TranslateTransform 6 58 --Rotate the text -90 degrees. g.RotateTransform -90 --Draw the text. g.DrawString "Button" font brush (dotNetObject "system.drawing.pointF" 0 0) ) dotNet.addEventHandler bt "paint" btPaint dotNet.setLifeTimeControl bt #dotNet form=dotNetObject "form" form.controls.add bt form.show()
www.JokerMartini.com

Last edited by JokerMartini : 10-31-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #38
TimHawker
Frequenter
portfolio
Tim Hawker
CGI Artist
RTT AG
Germany

Looks nice. By the way you may want to have a look at some other button controls that ship with 3ds Max. the default ones are OK but they don't exactly take on the max theme.

Autodesk includes a few dll's created by devExpress that are well worth checking out.

Try playing with this:

Code:
btn1 = dotNetObject "DevExpress.XtraEditors.simpleButton"

You can get really nice looking buttons with these settings that fit in with max 2010+:

Code:
btn1.lookandfeel.UseDefaultLookAndFeel = false btn1.lookAndFeel.style = btn1.lookAndFeel.style.ultraFlat btn1.imageList = --Add imageList here for icons btn1.backGroundImageLayout = btn1.backGroundImageLayout.center btn1.appearance.backColor = (dotNetClass "System.Drawing.Color").transparent btn1.allowFocus = false

Last edited by TimHawker : 10-31-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #39
JokerMartini
Expert

portfolio
John Martini
Ingenuity Engine
Los Angeles, USA

These look very slick.
I like the appearance of these buttons. Thanks Tim

It seems to bug out when I run the code on this line.

"btn1.lookAndFeel.style = btn1.lookAndFeel.style.ultraFlat"

Code:
btn1 = dotNetObject "DevExpress.XtraEditors.simpleButton" btn1.lookandfeel.UseDefaultLookAndFeel = false btn1.lookAndFeel.style = btn1.lookAndFeel.style.ultraFlat btn1.imageList = --Add imageList here for icons btn1.backGroundImageLayout = btn1.backGroundImageLayout.center btn1.appearance.backColor = (dotNetClass "System.Drawing.Color").transparent btn1.allowFocus = false hForm = dotNetObject "System.Windows.Forms.Form" hForm.controls.add btn1 hForm.topmost = true dotNet.addEventHandler mButton "click" whenButtonIsPressed --Finally display the image hForm.show()

I wish the vertical aligning of the buttons was as easy as just having a rotate property on the button itself.

Why is the form dialog different from the dialog being created within the struc?
Is there limitations to one over the other.
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #40
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHawker
Autodesk includes a few dll's created by devExpress that are well worth checking out.

Nice! Is this documented anywhere?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #41
TimHawker
Frequenter
portfolio
Tim Hawker
CGI Artist
RTT AG
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerMartini
These look very slick.
I like the appearance of these buttons. Thanks Tim

It seems to bug out when I run the code on this line.

"btn1.lookAndFeel.style = btn1.lookAndFeel.style.ultraFlat"

Look at the line below that. It is asking for an imageList but i didn't provide one. Get rid of that line if you don't want to add an icon imagelist. If you do add an imageList you will also need to tell it what imageIndex icon to use as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo
Nice! Is this documented anywhere?

None than I can find which is a shame. I believe they included the devexpress dll's to create the scene explorer, which uses a devexpress treelist:

Code:
dotNetObject "DevExpress.XtraTreeList.TreeList"

Search your 3ds Max install dir for "devExpress" and it will show a few dll's that Autodesk have included since version 2009 I believe.

Edit:
Although there is no documentation from Autodesk, there is a HUGE amount of documentation on the devexpress website. If I've ever had a problem the answer has usually been found in their online support ticket forum. http://www.devexpress.com/

Last edited by TimHawker : 10-31-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #42
JokerMartini
Expert

portfolio
John Martini
Ingenuity Engine
Los Angeles, USA

Equivalent of a subrollout

What would be the equivalent of a subrollout using dotNet? I want to try and do something like this next.

When you click the “Offset” the script would do what is the equivelant of a
fileIn (in maxscript) and those controls would then be loaded into this panel where the user could adjust the desired settings and options before applying the changes to the scene. Keeping in mind that these other *.ms files would be written only for use within this master script. You wouldn't be able to go file>run>offset.ms and it work properly.

In this case the fileIn *.ms would consist of something similar to this....which is just ui controls and whatnot. If it makes more sense I can create an example of what I'm after using maxscript. Just let me know.

Code:
form=dotNetObject "form" nud=dotNetObject "System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown" nud.DecimalPlaces=2 nud.Increment=.1 nud.maximum=10 nud.minimum=-10 nud.ReadOnly=false enableAccelerators=false showProperties nud form.controls.add nud form.show()
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #43
JokerMartini
Expert

portfolio
John Martini
Ingenuity Engine
Los Angeles, USA

Example

I went ahead and made an example file.
Just extract and check it out. Run the masterDialog.ms
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #44
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHawker
None than I can find which is a shame. I believe they included the devexpress dll's to create the scene explorer, which uses a devexpress treelist:

That's just insane! They give us this incredible set of tools for free but fail to inform us of their existence for 4 years!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #45
denisT
MAX Doctor

portfolio
Denis Trofimov
CA, USA

Send a message via ICQ to denisT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo
That's just insane! They give us this incredible set of tools for free but fail to inform us of their existence for 4 years!

incredible set of tools... incredible is a strong word in this context.

reply share thread