Max Book Guide

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2004   #16
don't know too much on reactor 2 material but,

I will say that "Harnessing 3ds Max 5" is the most excellent book for beginners and maybe even the intermediate. I read this 850+ page book cover to cover and completed maybe all but 3 of the oh so many exercises. And let me tell you, i definately have 'harnessed' 3ds max and now have a better understanding on the way to achieve things in 3ds max. One thing thought that they possibly could've gone into more detail on is the chaper on "Materials" and some more on some of the specific kinds of materials, but all in all this book is a pretty easy and understandable read.

Old 03 March 2004   #17
any thoughts on "animating real-time characters with 3ds max" from paul steed?
i heard that it's mainly one large tutorial for the less experienced, but that it also includes lots of useful tips for the more experienced users to fight the evil max/physique-combo as well.
unfortunately, it's no longer available on this side of the atlantic so if it was good i'd have to get it from overseas... $$$.

Old 03 March 2004   #18
Quote: Originally posted by brenton
I will say that "Harnessing 3ds Max 5" is the most excellent book for beginners and maybe even the intermediate.

I really liked the 3ds max Visual Quickstart Guide by Michele Matossian (Peachpit Press). Really great line of books for beginners as well. Everything is laid out very well in easy to understand chapters. Helped me become familiar with fundmentals of how Max works when I was first starting out in 3D modeling. I think the one for 3ds max 6 just came out last week as well. Don't need it, but may pick it up just because. And it's inexpensive too.

Old 03 March 2004   #19
Bought the 3ds6 bible from amazon in january. It is not released yet but when i have it i will write i review here.

It will be released in the end of april... I return then..

Last edited by Tommy5547 : 04 April 2004 at 06:27 AM.

Old 04 April 2004   #20
3ds max 6 killer tips

This book is one of the best books for helping get quick answers and cuts all the BS. This is not for the beginner, but helps someone who need a answers fast.

Here is the website http://www.newriders.com/title/0735713863

They have other Killer tips books, but I have not looked at them yet.

Old 05 May 2004   #21
killer tips for max 6, is really great, the design is god, and it is very clear to read and understand, i recommend it to everyone :P

Old 05 May 2004   #22
3dsm 6 bible is not worth bying according to me.
To basic and no in-depth on anything.

Looks cool in the bookshelf though...

/T

Old 05 May 2004   #23
yes true :P but it is good some time to go back to the source and relearn, it helps sometimes to get ride of bad habit :P

Old 05 May 2004   #24
I agree with aliciaCunnie. It's surprising some of the simpilist things you sometimes forget and don't even realize it. So I'd say no matter how advanced you get, it's probably good to go back once in a while and skim through your most basic instructional book.

Old 05 May 2004   #25
Im still a rather newbie at modelling. But I have made some basic human shaped models, with Box modelling and Mesh Editing.
Which book do you think would be the best for me?
Im more interested in creating characters for games.

By the way, I am using 3ds max 5.

Old 06 June 2004   #26
Quote: Originally posted by eliseu gouveia
So, what�s the word on more extensive Reactor 2 literature?

Checked the Reactor help file yet? Its not located in the help menu. you have to go to your MAX directory /help, pretty damn extensive.

Strange how MAX doesn't show it under "Additional Help".

Old 06 June 2004   #27
Quote: Originally posted by Jimmy_Dublo
Im still a rather newbie at modelling. But I have made some basic human shaped models, with Box modelling and Mesh Editing.
Which book do you think would be the best for me?
Im more interested in creating characters for games.

By the way, I am using 3ds max 5.

You'd do well with one or both of these:

...Real-Time Game Characters (I don't have it but I'm going to check it out)

Modeling a character.... (This one I do have and it's pretty good- it's in my list on the first thread page)

Side Note: When I have time I still plan to update the list. I'm not using max as much these days but have been keeping a close watch on books. I like books!

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Old 07 July 2004   #28
Max Book Recommendations

I've purchased many max books, too many in fact, but I can recommend the following ;

3DS Max 6 Animation: CG Filmmaking from Concept to Completion - Barrett Fox

Excellent book, not only covers modelling characters and animation but CG filmmaking, e.g producer, director, storyboarding, story creation and audio etc.. it's a really good read if your interested in all aspects of CG filmaking.

3ds MAX X Killer Tips - Jon Bell -

A great book with some straight to the point tips on all areas of max.

3D Studio MAX 3 Professional Animation - Angie Jones & Sean Bonney

Another good book on starting animation

Old 07 July 2004   #29
Is there any good books for max 6 or for Mental Ray (max version) only (rendering, lights, materials and shaders)? Or perhaps a DVD set. I learn much better when I see someone doing the thing I have bought mental4ever dvd's from evermotion (they were quite good) but I'd like to learn more.

Old 03 March 2005   #30
Hello I'm new and this is my first post

Anyway, I recently got into 3d modleing and am not a good modeler (especielly since I've only completed 1 thing, from a tutorial, even though I'm like half-way into lotsa of other tutorials and I expect I'll stay there) Anywho, Can anyone recommend a good book for 3ds max (specifically 3ds max 7) that goes into splines in depth? I've looked at a lot of tecniques, and they always make me feel like it's "cheating" or "not really your work" (I'm talking about like box modeling tecniques and similar techniques) Anyway, even theough I did half- tutorials with those techniques, I never feel like it's really my work, and so I can't continue, but ith splines, it makes me feel like every single point is mine... and now to the point:

Can anyone recommend a 3ds max book (specifically 3ds max 7) that goes in depth with splines and character modeling (specifically heads, and ears, and maybe hair?) Also, I would prefer if the book showed you how to make ody's as well with splines, I've looked at a few tutorials, and I get the concept, but when I try to make a head or something, I can't grasp the "feel" and the "flow" of the face or anything, or the feel or flow of modeling, so I need a book that will actchually go into detail with splines... maybe it coul include anatomy or something?

Sorry fo the long post, I just realized how much I write, and how repetitive I am... thanks for even reading the post... even if you just skimmed it...

Oh, almost forgot, I would prefer if whatever title you chose is not so expensive, because I'm only 14... and we 14 year olds don't really have a 6 figre salary to look forward to or anything... lol I don't think many people have a six figure slary to look forward to eithier...

Woops, sorry, I'm ranting again.

reply share thread