Testing OpenCL path tracing with SmallptGPU & SmallLuxGPU (to become LuxRenderGPU)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2010
Testing OpenCL path tracing with SmallptGPU & SmallLuxGPU (to become LuxRenderGPU)

Not a strictly Blender topic, although I did use Blender 2.5 as a tool in the making of this little test video. Mostly I just had to post this on these forums because of my username and avatar!

OpenCL path tracing renderer testing, animation (and Bullet Physics)

All kidding aside, I'm very excited about the work David has being doing with OpenCL accelerated rendering. It's definitely good news for all CG and Blender users.

More information on LuxRender and OpenCL.

01 January 2010
Really neat. How much RAM do you have? I guess what I am asking is if it went by better with RAM or does it still consume mountains of RAM usage?

01 January 2010
In this case RAM isn't a factor (max mem usage was low), there's no textures or much data, it's all math. It's entirely a function of GPU computing power in this case, not RAM.

01 January 2010
Wow nice work. Can't believe how quickly these guys are picking up OpenCL. Very promising results.

01 January 2010
Thanks. Yes, I agree, "Dade" is making amazing progress at an impressive speed. And it's very interesting in light that GPU accelerated commercial renderers out there (Refractive's Octane and Random Control's Arion) are limiting themselves to CUDA.

BTW I attempted to do some animations with the latest SmallLuxGPU beta (animations created with Blender 2.5):

OpenCL path tracing SmallLuxGPU simple animation test (YouTube)

Last edited by Sphere♥ : 02 February 2010 at 05:34 PM.

01 January 2010
And it keeps getting better. I rendered these with the very latest version of SmallLuxGPU... (models from Stanford)

And another...

Last edited by Sphere♥ : 01 January 2010 at 03:27 AM.

02 February 2010
And the progress keeps on going, taking it to a new level...:

First sneak peek at LuxrenderGPU ! (Luxrender public forums)

02 February 2010
Looking pretty awesome.
I currently only run a GeForce8600, what sort of card (cheap, I have zero budget ) would be sufficient to give me GPU/OCL ? I'm clueless about this stuff alas.

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by colkai: Looking pretty awesome.
I currently only run a GeForce8600, what sort of card (cheap, I have zero budget ) would be sufficient to give me GPU/OCL ? I'm clueless about this stuff alas.

Apparently the GeForce 8600M GT does support it. Not sure if this relates to you though. The NVIDIA site should have detailed information.

02 February 2010
Oops, my bad, it isn't an 8600, it's an 8400 GS - I knew it was an 8.. summat

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by colkai: Oops, my bad, it isn't an 8600, it's an 8400 GS - I knew it was an 8.. summat

I'm pretty sure 8400 has got cuda support as well,
so opencl support wouldn't be a far off guess,
but yeah, getting 'realtime' results out of it,
would probably be a fantasy.

I have an on-board 8200 mGPU which is just a integrated form of the same chip as the 8400,
but yeah, the cuda boost it gave in Ps CS4 was rather horrible,
I'm now running a 9800 gt, and that thing flies in comparison.

If upgrading for gpu computing a 9800 gt would be the minimum I'd suggest.

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by fktt: I'm pretty sure 8400 has got cuda support as well,
so opencl support wouldn't be a far off guess,
but yeah, getting 'realtime' results out of it,
would probably be a fantasy.

Yeah, not exactly expecting that I know it's a level entry jobbie, but my PC wont handle a high power hungry card. Just been on the NVidia side, the latest drivers (196.21) have OpenCL and CUDA support as well as OGL 3.2 so I'm downloading them and will install today (once I've made a restore point natch! )

02 February 2010
Perhaps for affordable OpenCL you might want to consider the low-to-mid end cards boasting the very latest generation GPUs in them (be weary: new model names do not mean they contain the latest chips). Seems to me you don't want older fast gaming chips that might have some OpenCL feature limitations?

Ideally, you might want to wait until hardware sites start including OpenCL banchmarking in their graphics cards testing, just to be sure which is the best value.

Last edited by Sphere♥ : 02 February 2010 at 06:17 PM.

02 February 2010
Maybe a Luxrender OpenCL benchmark test to get more users, certainly there are more people knowing Cinema 4D due to Cinebench ;-)

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by Sphere♥: Perhaps for affordable OpenCL you might want to consider the low-to-mid end cards boasting the very latest generation GPUs in them (be weary: new model names do not mean they contain the latest chips). Seems to me you don't want older fast gaming chips that might have some OpenCL feature limitations?

Ideally, you might want to wait until hardware sites start including OpenCL banchmarking in their graphics cards testing, just to be sure which is the best value.

Yeah, either that, or a nice benchmark database with user submitted data could be handy, kinda like the cinebench database (http://www.cbscores.com/).
Firstly we'd need a nice benchmark scene though

As for cards, the AMD 5770s are looking like very good performance for the price, built a system for a friend recently running one, and it's fairly impressive.
Personally, I'm running an nvidia GTX260 at the moment, so I don't really have much experience on the amd side of things, but it's probably the card I'd go with if I were to upgrade on a budget right now.

Thread Closed share thread