Cool things in Blender that aren't so obvious

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2005   #61
Originally Posted by JanSan: New shortcut is Shift + Alt + right Button of the mouse, serves to select true loop, in vertices as in edges like in faces.
JanSan

Really cool, didn't know that. I just found this one I think it may have been mentioned before.

In edit mode when moving a vertex (G key) if you move it on the global X axis (Up/Down) then press the MMB it will be constrained to only move in that axis, or if you move it in X or Y axis then press MMB it will be constrained to move only in that axis.

You can always use the X, Y or Z key in grab mode, pressing once is global axis pressing twice is objects x, y or Z axsis. But I really like this MMB feature. Anything to speed up modeling is a plus!!!

Old 03 March 2005   #62
I don't know if this is commanly known or not, it's just that I've always used it and I don't remember where I learned it.

Edit mode, when you click the RMB near a vertex that vertex (face or edge)will be selected, RMB again will unselect. By holding the shift key this will allow you to add each selected vertex (face or edge) in that highlighted group.

Old 03 March 2005   #63
another one,

After you have saved a blend file or an image you can then save it in progression that is:

car .blend. or car .JPG

Next time do "Save As" then press the + (plus) key which will advance the blend file by 1 every time it's pressed. example: car .blend becomes car 1.blend. press again car 2.blend and so on.

The - (minus) key will subtract one. I've gotten into the habit of saving frequently. Yea I know there is now the undo feature but I like this better because it gives you a history in case you need to back a few levels of a build. You get a sved version at the level you choose.

Old 03 March 2005   #64
On the window render (open), you press "A" Leaves the channel alpha the render thing in screen.
JanSan

Last edited by JanSan : 01 January 2006 at 10:33 PM.

Old 04 April 2005   #65
Originally Posted by JanSan: With the window to render open, you press "A" Leaves the channel alpha the renderizado thing in screen.
JanSan

What? (Now I have to type to get to 10 characters ... )

Old 04 April 2005   #66
Here's one that I have never heard anybody mention:

Let's say you have layers 1, 4 and 5 selected. If you press ~ (tilde), then all layers are visible. This I think everybody knows. But if you press Shift ~, then only the previous layers that you had selected will be visible. You can use Shift ~ to activate all, or show what used to be selected.

Pretty neat, huh?

Old 04 April 2005   #67
Talking blender -Y

try blender -Y from the command line. There's other animals than monkeys hidden in Blender.

Old 04 April 2005   #68
Interesting. How in the world did you stumble on that one?

Old 04 April 2005   #69
Programmer Trickery :-) I was trying to find out what the Python start up options might be.

Old 04 April 2005   #70
Weird, I tried that but all it did was talk about a python's tongue in the command prompt. Do you mean that's it? Or are there other animal meshes in Blender and how do you get to them?

Old 04 April 2005   #71
I tried -y too and could not find anything else. Where do you look for them?

FYI try -Y (capitalised) you's get an explanation

Old 04 April 2005   #72
Originally Posted by meshula: try blender -Y from the command line. There's other animals than monkeys hidden in Blender.

Hmmm, I can't seem to find anything different. Just where are these other animals?

Is it specific to a certian version?

Old 04 April 2005   #73
Originally Posted by fakeplastic: Hmmm, I can't seem to find anything different. Just where are these other animals?

Is it specific to a certian version?

Ok, maybe this will clear this up once and for all. There are no other meshes. This is just an Easter Egg ... text ... a programmer's whim. I think it's pretty cool. I always like these kind of "hidden" things. Sorry that there are no additional meshes ... to my knowledge.

Old 04 April 2005   #74
Thanks

Thanks,

I thought that i would have heard it before if there was additional meshes, but the above post made me wonder.

Glad to hear I am not as out of the loop as I though I was for a second.

Old 04 April 2005   #75
Red face

Originally Posted by meshula: try blender -Y from the command line. There's other animals than monkeys hidden in Blender.

What do you mean -Y ? I'm confused... what command line? Be more specific... I wanna see the other animals...

- Ian

reply share thread