Cool things in Blender that aren't so obvious

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2004   #46
Hey, first post here.

Just somin I found kinda funny. When I was trying to boolean a converted subsurf it gave me an error saying "Internal error -- Sorry!"

|----------------|
- Phl33t -
|----------------|

Old 09 September 2004   #47
New very cool ShortCut (new feature)

New shortcut is Shift + Alt + right Button of the mouse, serves to select true loop, in vertices as in edges like in faces.
JanSan
Download http://web.netrevolution.com/gbeloi...ows20040929.zip

Old 10 October 2004   #48
I stumbled across this one.

If you have more than one object in a single mesh, in Edit Mode, you can place your mouse cursor next to one of the verts in the desired object, then press the "L" key to select all of the verts linked to that one. "Alt+L" deselects in the same manner.

Old 11 November 2004   #49
I recently discovered that Shift+M selects all edges/vertices around holes in mesh. It is not in a hotkey and mouse action reference.

Old 11 November 2004   #50
Originally Posted by tikson: I recently discovered that Shift+M selects all edges/vertices around holes in mesh. It is not in a hotkey and mouse action reference.

That's awesome.. Then all you have to do is hit SHIFT-F to auto-fill those holes with "beauty fill". That's the coolest..

Old 01 January 2005   #51
Shift+M = Non-manifold

Originally Posted by tikson: I recently discovered that Shift+M selects all edges/vertices around holes in mesh. It is not in a hotkey and mouse action reference.

Shift+M is an alternative shortcut for 'Select Non-manifold'. You'll find this in the select menu when in mesh edit mode. The listed short cut there is 'Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M'. 'Shift M' is obviously a lot more comfortable on the fingers though!

Note that it selects 'Non-manifold' which is not necessarily only holes eg, an edge with three faces coming out of it is also a non-manifold edge!

Old 01 January 2005   #52
Hidden Objects

I don't know how old this is (or whether it's been mentioned before) ... but I just discovered it. Say you are in front or side view and you want to select an object, but it is hidden behind other objects. If you press Alt RMB over a group of objects, a menu will be displayed in the 3D window allowing you to pick the object you wish to select.

By the way ... this is my first post here

Old 02 February 2005   #53
Hey cool I didn't know about that. Thanks for pointing it out

Studio Portfolio

Old 02 February 2005   #54
to fill in four or fewer vertexes:

select the vertexes and press "F", this will fill in the empty space around them

to clean up a filled in space, select all the vertexes for the area, and press F. choose OK to make FCon
(And example of what I mean, add a plane in wireframe mode, extrude it several times, select all vertexes, then hit F.

Blender has a photohop-esque color picker. Simply click on the color preview next to the sliders to use it. Hit enter when you have the color you want.

Old 03 March 2005   #55
Thanks for the info

I'll try that fgon technique.

Old 03 March 2005   #56
In the material editor, hold down the ctrl-key while moving the sliders. This will make it jump +/- 100. Then, when usind shift, you it will do a +/-1, instead of jumping some values over, like in standard mode (without pressing anything). Of course, you can also just change the value by pressing the number.

Old 03 March 2005   #57
Alpha from render view

This might also be common knowledge, but I found it today and find it really useful:
When cut & pasting stuff from render window to {insert your fav image editor here} using alt+ PrtScr, cut and paste the render first, come back to render window and press "A". It changes the wiew to alpha and you get black & white mask to cut the background nicely in the {again, favourite image editor}.
Nice when you do testing in low res.

Old 03 March 2005   #58
how do you UNmake the object the camera?

i've had trouble with my objects randomly turning in to hte camera when i use that trick and i dont know how to make it so its not the camera

Old 03 March 2005   #59
Select your camera and hit Cntrl numpad 0 to make it the active camera again.

Studio Portfolio

Old 03 March 2005   #60
wat are the other surprises as well as the monkey?

reply share thread