Cool things in Blender that aren't so obvious

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2003   #31
Quote: Originally posted by polygnome
Now something about editing:
When moving verticies by the x or the y axis press middle mouse button (MMB?) and it will move only along x or y axis (depends on current position of the vertex).
I don't know does it work with surface CVs.

Yes and soon you'll simply have to press Xkey, Y or Z, once to lock to global axes, twice to lock to local axes.

Jean

Old 10 October 2003   #32
Quote: Originally posted by jeaninmontreal
Yes and soon you'll simply have to press Xkey, Y or Z, once to lock to global axes, twice to lock to local axes.

Jean

Those Hot-Keys are already working when rotating bones.... real time savers !

Old 10 October 2003   #33
This is probably know by all of you, but I found a very useful tool for texturing.

If you have a scene with a hundred mesh objects, say 50 of them have one texture and 50 of them have another.

Say you want to change the texture to the first 50, but don't want to change each individually. Add a Plane out of the view of the camera. Add your new texture (Material) to the plane. Then use the Copy to material Buffer button in the header of the Material buttons.
Select one mesh object of the same sort that you want to change, open Material buttons and Paste from Material Buffer.

All the mesh objects with the same texture will now have the new texture.

I only add this as a tip because I used to change them all individually, which is very time consuming. This above method, is so much quicker.

Sonix.

Old 10 October 2003   #34
Good one Sonix!!! That is totally new for me (and a real time-saver)

Old 10 October 2003   #35
This one is REALLY cool.

Say you have a sub-surfed mesh.. did you know you can turn THAT sub-surf mesh into a normal mesh? Yeap, a mesh without sub-surf but that has the same density as the sub-surfed one!

Just select the sub-surfed mesh and press Alt-C (Conversion).

Old 10 October 2003   #36
or this one: if the subsurfed mesh becomes (numb) black on s ome places, that's becouse of the normals. select all and press ctrl+n and then confirm. now it should look prettier!

Old 11 November 2003   #37
Since the few last versions (since 2.28 I think) blender has a built-in all inclusive hot-key list.

Just open a text-editor window, and right besides the option to create a new text-buffer there is a menu option called šKEYLIST.intrrš. Select that option and the full list is loaded in memory

--Edit: There are many hot-keys missing, specially the newest ones, like M to mirror a mesh, K for the Knife tool, Alt-Z for texturized view... but the list is a good start at least.

Last edited by Apollux : 11 November 2003 at 05:25 PM.

Old 11 November 2003   #38
Black faces in 3D windows solution.

Sometimes, accidental pressing of the F Key will result in a shaded mesh becoming completely black.

To rectify this problem, save your Blend file, Quit Blender then restart. Use CTRL O to open the last file and your mesh will have returned to correct shaded state.

Sonix.

Old 11 November 2003   #39
Negative Metaballs.

I want to mention a funky tool that's often missed in Blender.

Negative Metaballs. Add>Metaball as usual. Exit EDIT mode and Add>Metaball. This time before you exit EDIT mode, hit the Negative button in the EDIT buttons window. Then leave edit mode.

If you move the negative Metaball around, you can see the effect it has on the positive metaball.

Be careful though as negative metaballs are not displayed in the same manner as positive metaballs, you will only see the Pivot point not a meta-mesh.

This is a little test you can try to see the amazing effects negative metaballs can produce.

Make 1 Metaball, make it big.

Place three spheres (UV) inside, make them emit particles, one 100, one 200, one 300 particles.

Parent three negative metaballs, one to each sphere, and use duplivert on each sphere.

Make the 100 dup metaball quite big, the 200 medium and the 300 small. Hit ALT A to run animation in 3D window.

Sonix.

(Thanks to S68 at elYsiun.com for the example method. Click here for his negative metaball thread @ elYsiun. )

Old 11 November 2003   #40
I stumbled upon an interesting technique this morning that also involves particle emmitors:

Render some particles, and make the pic into an alpha mapped tga in gimp, load the image onto a plane, adjust the alpha settings accordingly, parent the plane to the emittor, press dupliverts, and you have one hell of a cluster of particles, and it takes relatively little time to render. Of course it doesn't have to be an alpha map of particles. That's entirely up to you.

Old 02 February 2004   #41
on windows, blender usually starts in windowed mode. You can make it open in full screen by :

1. pressing ALT+UP_ARROW_KEY or

2. clicking an icon (kind of like inverted ^) located at extreme right of the User Preferences window.

then press CTRL+U to save user preferences.

NOTE:
to come back to windowed mode press ALT+DOWN_ARROW_KEY

Henry Miller.

Old 02 February 2004   #42
hi guy If you place the cursor in the object target, you choose rotate on pivot and rotate camera you emulate camera target of Max
Jansan

Old 02 February 2004   #43
alternatively, add an empty, set the camera to track the empty with CTRL+T. Fix the axis tracking in animations window. Now the camera will look at the empty where-ever it moves. So move it to a target.

Old 03 March 2004   #44
You can weld vertices by selecting them in edit mode and pressing Alt-M.

Old 06 June 2004   #45
LOTS OF COOL THINGS wish i had known earlier (like the fly mode)

anyways... heres one of my favorites
to view wireframe of hidden verts, makesure you are in WIREFRAME MODE and then turn subsurf on and change the level to 0
If you already knew about this then

reply share thread