Cool things in Blender that aren't so obvious

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2003   #16
I just checked the Monkey out... weird... Blender seems to be a comedy 3D app...
By the way, I'm not sure about that, but many of the summed up unobvious tricks in this list I know from the printed Blender manual of version 1.5 (?)... Did anyone buy this book, too?

Old 04 April 2003   #17
Originally posted by Tommi
I just checked the Monkey out... weird... Blender seems to be a comedy 3D app...
By the way, I'm not sure about that, but many of the summed up unobvious tricks in this list I know from the printed Blender manual of version 1.5 (?)... Did anyone buy this book, too?

I don't have the 1.5 manual (it whent out of print more or less at the same time that I was introduced to Blender) but I do have the 2.0 manual and that is where I'm getting most of the tricks... they are 'documented' but they don't even appear on the book index ... so that makes them really hard to find.

Old 04 April 2003   #18
I got the 1.5 manual, I'll see if I can find some interesting ones ...

Old 06 June 2003   #19
This was mentioned on the first ever tutorial I read about the new armature system (got there trough a link on the really old community site). The tutorial went off-line short after and nobody have never mentioned it again.

When setting up the skinning of your meshe and you are ready to create the vertex groups... it is worth some beforethough on the order you use to create them, because once they are created there is no way to re-arrange them on the vertex-group list.

That means that if you are a ultra-by-the-book person and you would like the vertex group alphabetically orded on the list them you must create them alphabetically.

.. Or, if you would like them to be ordered acording to theyr function (shoulders, then arms, then forearms, then palms, etc. etc. etc. you must create them on that order on the first place.

This may all sound like a stupid thing to care about, but I have a character with 39 vertex groups and finding quickly the one that need fixing is a little difficult since I created them just as they came to my mind.

Old 06 June 2003   #20
Regarding UV maping and Face Gruoups Selections there seems to be the general misconception that you can't save your face groups selections on Blender.

Must people already know that from within the Face Select Mode (Potato Mode) you can switch into Edit Mode and whatever selection you do while in Edit Mode is passed back to Face Select Mode when you exit the Edit Mode.

Well... Did you ever wonder why Material Index Groups (that are nothing more than face groups with a common material on them) have those little 'Select' and ´Deselect' buttons there? Sure they come handy for later modification of the material index but that is not all about them.

Do this: Before starting the UV unwrapping job, cut your mesh by creating as many material indexes as you need, you can even assing each one a different color so you can be shure that there is no face orphan. Once you have the mesh all cut and sliced (so to speak) you enter in Face Select Mode, then switch into Edit Mode, selec the index containing the faces you want to unwrap, press 'Select', leave Edit Mode and VOILA!!! there you just have an entirely usefull face group waiting for you to unwrap. No more manual (and unprecise) face selection is needed.

If you later need to change the mapping of those faces don't fear, just make shure there isn't any face selected on Potato Mode, do as you did first (enter edit mode, select the index, exit edit mode) and there are your very same faces selected again with the UV mapping you already assigned to them.

-----
Edit:

Another benefic of have precise face selection groups is that, inicially, you don't have to worry about UV coordinates overlapping, since you know have the way to selec ONLY the faces you whant to. For example, you unwrap all your faces by groups and when you are done you can start thinking about scale and position withing the texture map, not like before when you have to solve those things as you go.

Last edited by Apollux : 06 June 2003 at 05:07 AM.

Old 07 July 2003   #21
Don't know if this has happend to some other Blender users before but, once i was doing allot of stuff in Blender, and suddenly i got that little window that said this:

'CRASH?
Yes, Please!'

So i had to click on the 'Yes, Please'...and there goes my work without saving, stupid me
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Old 09 September 2003   #22
Four rather obscure hotkeys:

-Shift V: Position camera along face normal,
-T in IPO window: Choose animation mode, ie., linear, bezier, constant
-Alt S: scale selected vertices along face normal
-R in IPO window: Record mouse movements, and convert to IPO

Old 09 September 2003   #23
Originally posted by KotsVlok
Don't know if this has happend to some other Blender users before but, once i was doing allot of stuff in Blender, and suddenly i got that little window that said this:

'CRASH?
Yes, Please!'

So i had to click on the 'Yes, Please'...and there goes my work without saving, stupid me

This happens when using the beauty fill function in Edit mode for a mesh when using Shift F or CTRL F. There's some mad Bunny rabbit error message too, but I haven't come across that one yet.

If you go to the temp folder where you have Blender save it's temp .Blend files, reload the most recent one and this will save you losing the whole of your work. You don't even need to save a .Blend file for this to work. You can change the settings for this in the tool window at the top of the Blender screen.

When zooming into the render window, using Z key, Left click will reveal the colour numbers for the pixel below the mouse cursor. ie R 127, G 255, B 13.

Sonix.

Old 10 October 2003   #24
To animate procedural textures, press 'I' with the mouse pointer in the materials window, and select the type of keyframe you wish to set in the pop up menu. advance a few frames, tweak your materials, and set another keyframe. yup.

Old 10 October 2003   #25
Do not watch blender while it renders, go to a different vitual desktop. Blender doesn't have to keep X informed of what's going on and rendering speed increases by about a factor of 5.

Old 10 October 2003   #26
Cool

I like border rendering.

In the rendering buttons find the ones marked "Border" and "Crop".
If you depress "Border", you can get a rendering of any part of what the camera sees you choose : go into a camera view using NumPad 0, press Shift+B, then mark the limits of the rendering as you want them using LMB.
Next render the usual way and the section you marked will be rendered first, then it will be integrated to the complete rendering.
If you wish that *only* the chosen section would be rendered then click on the button marked "Crop" also.

Jean

Old 10 October 2003   #27
I like the fake user that allow to keep useful data blocks (materials, textures, base meshes) at hand even if they are not linked to an object.
I used it to set a default material that would have the shader I like best set rather than Lambert & Co.

Jean

Old 10 October 2003   #28
Originally posted by jeaninmontreal
I like the fake user that allow to keep useful data blocks (materials, textures, base meshes) at hand even if they are not linked to an object.
I used it to set a default material that would have the shader I like best set rather than Lambert & Co.

Jean

Speaking of the Fake Users, pressing Shift-F4 will turn the window into a ¨Data Select Window¨ where you can assign and de-assign fake users to almost everything.

Old 10 October 2003   #29
Originally posted by Apollux
Speaking of the Fake Users, pressing Shift-F4 will turn the window into a ¨Data Select Window¨ where you can assign and de-assign fake users to almost everything.

By selecting by name and pressing Fkey I'd bet

JM

Old 10 October 2003   #30
Now something about editing:
When moving verticies by the x or the y axis press middle mouse button (MMB?) and it will move only along x or y axis (depends on current position of the vertex).
I don't know does it work with surface CVs.

reply share thread