Bone Rigging

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2014
Question Bone Rigging

I am new here so not sure where to post this... I am working in Blender 2.63 trying to learn this 3D animation.. I write short stories for children and thought I might try my hand at creating a short video to go with the stories... I used to work with 2.49 version and was able to create my little animals and rig them with the bones and they worked.. In this version am not getting it to work.. I have watched video tuts and read tuts and the manual and not working for me.. my animal has several parts (which worked in 2.49 version)... after creating it I started adding the bones... creating the body bone and then extruding the other bones from it... I read about the weight painting, did that... tried to parent the body to the bones to bind them together, not working.. tried to make the character all one piece joining everything into one and then adding the bones and doing weight painting.. nothing.. when I try to move the bones it looks like I'm stretching out taffy... cannot get it to work correctly... don't know why and don't know if I'm missing something.. I follow the tuts and not working... any help or direction you can give me would be greatly appreciated... I am a beginner at this 3D animation stuff and want to learn it...and want to use the 2.63 version of Blender or 2.70 but i'm about ready to reinstall the 2.49 version so I can rig my bones... I didn't have any trouble rigging the bones in the old version.. but this new one, not so much.. have not been able to rig one yet.. I keep trying and retrying and then going through tutorials again and again and retrying and am just not getting anywhere with it..

thank you in advance for your help
Barbara

07 July 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QGtBvvQbnc
I have never rigged in Blender until today, i followed
the above simple tutorial and it seems to work fairly
well and it is easier than i expected. Of course you
may need more complex parenting or modifiers for
your character but i think you are missing some important
step or mode-change. Good luck.

reply share thread