Blender fluids domain has a margin?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2014   #1
Blender fluids domain has a margin?

I'm trying to find this on the manual or online search but so far nothing after a lot of searching. I only started learning fluids a couple of days ago, but from what I gather basically the domain box is the limit for the fluid simulation, so when the water reaches it, it stops there like an invisible wall.

The problem I have is that the fluid, once it's baked, seems to have a margin, especially at the bottom. While setting up my objects to follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5zp32QQB4 I set the container for the text not as in the tutorial, but sitting on the ground. For this I switched to front ortho view and I aligned the bottoms of the container and the domain boxes to the X axis. Since all the objects in the simulation have to be inside the domain cube, I zoomed in as much as I could and made sure that the bottom of container cube is slightly above the bottom of the domain cube. I also put a plane on the X axis, although it's not part of the simulation.

In the tutorial the author shows how to cut off the flow of water so it doesn't overflow the tank. I wanted to overflow and the water making its way down to the floor. Being that I had aligned the bottom of the domain cube and the plane exactly in the same position I expected the overflowing water to be on the plane. However, once the simulation is done, the water is floating above the plane, as if the domain somehow had a margin, not too tall, but a margin still.

Reading the manual, searching online and playing with all the settings I couldn't find a way to solve this. Is this normal? Take a look:

Old 02 February 2014   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread