Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
tuqueque
portfolio
Robin David Marín Fernández
Maracaibo, Venezuela

Andrew Price's UI analysis videos

Hi, guys (and gals), I don't know if some of you haven't heard of Andrew Price's (Blender Guru) recent videos about Blender's UI...

This has been a highly debated topic in the past, but Andrew's Analysis is arguably the best initiative (by far) about Blender's UI problem and solutions...

So far, there are 2 videos out of 3... The last one I think it'll be out in a week or two.

1st video:
http://www.blenderguru.com/fixing-b...why-its-broken/

2dn video:
http://www.blenderguru.com/fixing-b...2-going-deeper/

The most important think is the survey at the end, PLEASE, fill it, is really short (2 - 4 questions) and it'll be incredibly helpful because results will be made public and will help make important decisions about Blender's UI...

Andrew's analysis has become a hot topic these days and I think CGTalk is another great place to gather opinions... But please, let's be respectful expressing our opinions.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
OuterDrake
PRO
portfolio
Alex
USA

i agree with a lot of it, how ever we need to address the real problem.

why do we still rely on tutorials and books to learn? you think we would have every software by now that can flash instructions on your screen interface and tell exactly what to press and what to move in precise accuracy , much like the street fighter tekken games expert mode where you see a combo on screen and you repeat and move on to the next exercise. this would be the hugest game changer. until then, i have to constantly hit pause and rewind the tutorials to make sure i didn't miss something or something else didn't get lost in translation.

my opinion on the subject of learning curve.^

Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
pauljs75
WingsNut

portfolio
Paul Jay Schrenker
Starving artist
Waukegan, USA

Send a message via MSN to pauljs75
Thumbs up

Andrew has said a lot of stuff that's true or makes a good point. I've tried Blender a few times before, and had trouble "getting it". But since 2.68a (current version as of this post) I gave it another stab since the Cycles render stuff looked cool and had a nice quality to them. And I found they had overhauled a lot of stuff in terms of overall program usability. Not perfect, but dang, a lot better than it was. Tooltips and having the majority of hotkeys on interface items that the past versions didn't have helps greatly.

I also see that Andrew Price's critiques are on the front page of the Blender site and elsewhere. To me this indicates that the developers behind the software are very receptive to user input now and are willing to make things happen in that regard.

Funny thing is, I had similar complaints in the past (many versions ago) and went back to using other software. I just couldn't figure it out when it came to doing fairly simple render tasks, and those definitely weren't a big issue in other programs. Back then the goal of adding widget XYZ apparently was more important to fleshing out the program than any usability concerns. Now that they seem to have something fairly solid, I guess it only makes sense to polish it up a bit. About time, so I'm glad to see it happening. It's powerful software, so having it "accessible" to a wider audience in terms of being able to use it can only be a good thing. Means there should be some momentum behind it soon.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
netzhang79
Veteran
portfolio
netzhang guang
anshan, China

Very good advice!!!
I hope developers can consider.blender has developed rapidly, the old ui has slightly unbearable.Many aspects are not very convenient to use.Even some very awkward operation.

I love blender!Sincerely hope she is getting better!!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
runejw
errr... wussup?!...

portfolio
Rune J. W.
Norway

Absolutely applaudable that useability / GUI design gets some much needed attention

The rules of a good GUI are as mentioned derived from human psychology - and debate as much as you want - the rules are basically timeless and always valid.

Take the new shutdown in Win8 - who was not frustrated, confused, angered the first time they had to read up or even watch a Youtube tutorial on such a simple task?? Drag mouse to lower right corner > Settings > Power > Shutdown

I've tried my share of 3D app GUI's. Softimage XSI / C4D / Modo / Carrara / Vue / Sketchup all have a GUI that is more easy to "get" for the new user than Blender.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread