Synchronization problem with imported QuickTime movie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Synchronization problem with imported QuickTime movie

I shot a video on using QuickTime on my late 2008 MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.7.5.

I have downloaded and install the latest version of Blender 2.67b.

I went into the Video Editing mode and loaded the QuickTime video. The video plays back faster than the audio. What can I do to get everything synchronized?

Old 07 July 2013   #2
A new version of Blender just came out. I downloaded and installed it. I'm still having problems. The length of the video track is shorter than the audio track, and they should be exactly the same.

What can I do that will get the two tracks synchronized?

Old 07 July 2013   #3
I figured out how to get the audio and video to synchronize. I took the number of frames for the audio and divided it by the number of frames for the video. I then set the frame rate to custom and apply the frame per second value give by QuickTime for the movie. I then took the ratio I had calculated from dividing the audio frames by the video frames and applying that to the frame rate base field that appear under the custom frame rate value. That got everything to synchronize.

I don't understand why the audio and video are out of synch, initially. This is a big problem because I want to combine this movie with another movie I shot using the exact same hardware. When I import that second movie into Blender it works find without having to adjust the frame rate base.

This means that I have two different movies that Blender thinks are recorded at different frame rates, even though they were shot with the exact same hardware in the exact same way. I don't understand why Blender thinks the frame rates are different, and there doesn't seem to be any way to combine the movies because no matter what frame rate I set, one of the movies will be out of synch.

This is creating a frustration situation, because a situation that should have been relatively simply and straight forward has turned into something that is excessively difficult and maybe impossible.

What can be done so the movies can be combined successfully?

Last edited by tron_thomas : 07 July 2013 at 01:06 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
I've concluded the problem is with QuickTime and not with Blender. I tried converting the original recording to a mobile format and the conversion ended up with the same frame rate I had to use in Blender instead of the original frame rate.

I don't know why QuickTime made that recording at an odd frame rate.

Anyway I was able to solve the problem by converting both recordings using iMovie. Even though I'm trying to do what should be a simple edit project, iMovie just won't handle what I want to do, and Blender seems the only tool I have available that could handle things. Fortunately iMovie was able to convert both recording to the same frame rate, and I was finally able to perform the editing I needed in Blender.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread