Frequently upgrading Blender

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Frequently upgrading Blender

Hi All,

Given that Blender releases new versions frequently, i was wondering if it would be better to save Blender software on the external harddrive opposte to the on the computer, so computer doesn't get worned out by constant re-installations. Could you reply on what you think about it? Thanks a lot in advance!

-Blenderroad

Old 07 July 2013   #2
I seriously wouldn't worry about it; the usage generated by re-installing Blender would be absolutely trivial compared to the load generated by your page-file/swap partition, browser cache etc.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
You really never need to "install" Blender; just download the zip archive, unzip to the location of your choice, and run the .exe.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
You can install multiple versions of the application into individual folders and use each without issue.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
All, thank you for the replies! Very much helpful indeed!

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Im working full-time in blender for three years and I updating blender frequently. Couple of updates for a month. I never experienced any problems with computer caused by blender updates. I have some problems with blender versions compatibility. I have many started projects and sometime - when I open some old blender project with new version - then there is unneeded differences between same project opened in different blender version. My workaround for this problem is store multiple versions of blender and bringing back old blender version.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread