Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Astralogic
Veteran

portfolio
nameless one
nameless city, United Kingdom

I'm having trouble unwrapping a fire hydrant.

Hi, I'm trying to unwrap a fire hydrant but I am failing epicly. I have marked seams where I think they should be but, I'm thinking I got it wrong.

Here is my .blend if needed.

Thanks
Astralogic

Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
mib2berlin
Veteran
portfolio
Wolfgang
Home
Germany

Hi, you have much more control if you use vertice groups and you can use different unwrap methods for each part.
You should start with a perfect ground material like fresh painted and add rust and other dirt in layers (Gimp) to the ground material.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/21081

Quick and dirty overpaint.

Cheers, mib.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

First, separate the bolts and move those into a different object. It makes it easier to deal with all the parts.

To unwrap the main cylinder, select those faces, and set the view to front ortho. Then unwrap using cylinder projection.

Keep using selections, and different unwrapping methods. And most importantly: don't forget you can hit F6 after any unwrapping operation to change the parameters.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Astralogic
Veteran

portfolio
nameless one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib2berlin
Hi, you have much more control if you use vertice groups and you can use different unwrap methods for each part.
You should start with a perfect ground material like fresh painted and add rust and other dirt in layers (Gimp) to the ground material.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/21081

Quick and dirty overpaint.

Cheers, mib.

The vertex groups don't seem to be working right, they will neither select nor deselect correctly. Here is the blend (removed, useless now), could you tell me if it's a bug or if it's me.

Hvanderwegen, I will try your suggestions now. I'll get back to you on how it worked.

Edit: It must have been a glitch because the vertex group selection is working now. I have managed to get good results on all the parts following your advice Hvanderwegen, all except the top part that is, the round bit, I thought that would be the easiest as spherical projection seems to be a perfect match for the shape but it doesn't.

Here is my updated blend, as you can see I'm still using the rusty paint texture, that's just so I can get a good idea of how well the mesh is unwrapped, I will be following your advice mib2berlin and using a clean paint texture and adding the rust in gimp.

So from here, I just need some advice on tweaking the unwrap of the round part on top and also is it possible to use texture paint mode and blur out those visible seams? I know I won't be using that particular texture but I think I'll likely need to do it at some point.

Last edited by Astralogic : 05-02-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Astralogic
Veteran

portfolio
nameless one

Oh man my eyes are terrible I only just noticed the blend you uploaded mib2berlin! I'm gonna play with it now!

Edit: Hey mib, how do you use the rust texture when painting? I don't seem to be able to choose it in the textures panel (is that even possible in Blender?)

Last edited by Astralogic : 05-02-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
mib2berlin
Veteran
portfolio
Wolfgang
Home
Germany

I use gimp for texture painting but it is possible to paint with image textures in blender.
Change Image Texture to Brush in Texture panel.

First export uv-map from image/UV editor, open it in PS or gimp and add a layer with 100% red and so forth.

Cheers, mib.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (69.1 KB, 7 views)

Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Astralogic
Veteran

portfolio
nameless one

Hey guys thanks for your help, after my initial frustrations you've helped me achieve a result (still unfinished though) that is better then I thought I could do being so new to blender. Thank you!

However, I have run into three small problems that I don't know what to do about or what is causing them.

https://www.box.com/s/jm5ypkeck2z2ullponay

Sorry, I don't know why but my screenshots are too big to attach, and for some reason The Box won't let me link directly to the image.

In this screenshot I have circled part of the mesh and it's corresponding part of the UV image, as you can see in the render it is green whereas in the UV image it is not. How can I correct this discolouration?

https://www.box.com/s/3av6z3c2qrvg28rztnoh

In this image I have selected a face loop, as you can see on the mesh the paint texture end abruptly and changes to the rusty metal in a perfect straight line, however one the UV map I have remove most of the red paint to solve this problem but the texture on the mesh doesn't match the UV texture. Any ideas?

And the last one really small, doesn't even need a screenshot, in my UV image editor, in the list that shows all the image files in the current project, I have about 5 images but I'm only using two, how can I get rid of the unused images? they're making the blend quite large.

Here is the blend if it is needed.

Thanks
Astralogic

Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
mib2berlin
Veteran
portfolio
Wolfgang
Home
Germany

Hi there, sometimes the maps are not updated in Cycles, dunno why, you have to reload the image in texture slot or node system.

Cheers, mib.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Astralogic
Veteran

portfolio
nameless one

Quote:
Hi there, sometimes the maps are not updated in Cycles, dunno why, you have to reload the image in texture slot or node system.

Cheers, mib.

Nah that doesn't work, I guess it's a bug, good thing this is just for practise

Is it possible in cycles to use a normal map and a displacement map? Cycles seems to call bump maps displacement maps which is confusing :/

Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
mib2berlin
Veteran
portfolio
Wolfgang
Home
Germany

Ha, fund the problem, glossy is connected with UV.
It should be connected with image output like the diffuse material.
There is a normal map node in add > vector.

Cheers, mib.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Astralogic
Veteran

portfolio
nameless one

Quote:
Ha, fund the problem, glossy is connected with UV.
It should be connected with image output like the diffuse material.

I'm confused, isn't that how you add a specularity map? What problem did it solve on your computer, the hard edged transition between the paint and rust or something else?

Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread