Looking to buy a laptop for Linux and Blender

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Looking to buy a laptop for Linux and Blender

Hi, I am planning to buy a laptop for the occasional use of Blender when I'm not at my main computer. I don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds on it but I'd like it to be usable for Blender and also support Linux (preferable Linux Mint).

If anyone knows good specific laptops I'm all ears, if you could offer some advice other than specific machines such as what CPU/GPU I'd like to hear it too.

I'll be spending a LOT of money on upgrading my main computer, this laptop needs to be cheap (but not too cheap that I wouldn't be able to use Blender.)

Thanks
Astralogic

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Just in case to don't get a specific recommendation here's my 2cents.
Blender will run on just about anything, it really depends on what you want to do, if it's sculpting you'll need more ram if rendering you'll need an nvidia card for cuda support. As for linux it's the same deal it runs on everything. you may have some configuring to do on the wifi card but thats to do with broadcom and their proprietary drivers.Also you have to watch out for Microsoft's secure boot (UEFI). I believe redhat and ubuntu have signed up to M$'s windows tax so there shouldn't be a problem loading those but double check for your preferred linux OS. That said some manufacturers give you the choice of turning UEFI off, if they do it's found in the bios settings.
When choosing a laptop my advice would be to go for a good brand name (apart from apple they create walled gardens).
Just so you know I've got blender installed on a 10" netbook running kubuntu, you can't do any heavy blending with it but it does work as it should.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
I ran blender on a very cheap, very bad compaq laptop for a little while. It ran fine as long as the models were game-lowpoly, what lagged was loading in textures over 2048x2048. This laptop was one of those 'for people who don;t know jack about computers so only need the bare minimum' and it did surprisingly well. Probably would cost about $300(AU) if you bought it from Harvey Norman or such. My main advice is to get something that has the numpad. Lots of laptops dont have a numpad and I use it heavily in blender so I really found it lacking. Alternatively you can find external numpads so it's still an option.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread