"Set value" or "flatten" and other modelling questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2007
"Set value" or "flatten" and other modelling questions

Ok, I'm trying to get a bunch of vertices in my mesh to all have a specific y axis value..

1) Is there a command like "set value" in lightwave (that sets all selected vertices to a global value that you enter on the global axis you specify...)

or an equivilent to "flatten" in wings (that takes the selection and sets all vertices to the median on the axis you specify (from there I could easily use the transform floating window to put it where i need...

Also, while Im at it... is there a way to do this in UV editor as well?

2) On a completely unrelated point, how do I Un-join an object?.... (I know that i can use "separate" after selecting faces, but I'm sure I found a command that would split all unconnected mesh parts into separate objects....or did I imagine that...)

3) is there a built in method or script to set the correct image on all of the faces of an object for the open gl view when an object has multiple materials assigned to different faces?
(rather than selecting the uv faces and setting the image in the uveditor window... This is fine for simple objects,
by "correct" I mean the first uv texture in the stack if there are more than one.

All help appreciated ;-)

Mike

www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk

09 September 2007
1) Try Scaling the vertices . . . Select desired verts > S key > X, Y or Z key (to set axis) > 0 (zero) key for amount. You can base this operation on the median point or to the position of the 3D cursor.

2) In Edit mode . . . P key > All Loose Parts.

Not sure about number 3, though.

09 September 2007
Originally Posted by Yecire: 1) Try Scaling the vertices . . . Select desired verts > S key > X, Y or Z key (to set axis) > 0 (zero) key for amount. You can base this operation on the median point or to the position of the 3D cursor.

Now I feel like an idiot, as this was the first thing I tried, but It didn't work as expected...
Just tried it and it worked fine, I think when I tried it before I had the proportional editing enabled or something...

Schoolboy errors!

www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk

09 September 2007
You can use the scale trick (and you can use the orientation settings to scale along alternative axis than global),

There is also a nice flatten script by ideasman, it isn't on the web anymore but he will put it back up somewhere shortly.

LetterRip

09 September 2007
Originally Posted by Yecire: 1) Try Scaling the vertices . . . Select desired verts > S key > X, Y or Z key (to set axis) > 0 (zero) key for amount. You can base this operation on the median point or to the position of the 3D cursor.

I do this very often, but sometimes in a different way - I'll turn on the scale manipulator, set it to 'normal', then scale down to 0. This will effectively flatten all the selected faces across the direction of the average face normal of the selection.

09 September 2007
Originally Posted by brkn: I do this very often, but sometimes in a different way - I'll turn on the scale manipulator, set it to 'normal', then scale down to 0. This will effectively flatten all the selected faces across the direction of the average face normal of the selection.

is there a way to use numerics with the manipulator?

I'm assuming to avoid inverting the scale you just eyeball it and repeat the op several times.... (I initially dismissed this method because of the inverting scale thing... I'm used to Lightwave which clamps to 0 scale..)

www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk

09 September 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread