The Beginning ... (a MUST READ for anyone interested in helping)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2003   #31
Ila: thats pretty good looking. ahh the front of the face looks a little flat to me. I dunno if u meant it to be like that but just thought ide let u know. But very good start so far

Old 01 January 2003   #32
Rice ManX - Functionally, it's going to operate like a toon. The hatches will be closed and then *bam!* they'll be open with guns, etc. aimed at the hero. I want to go with guns and weapons that will look oversized for the ship to emphasize the "oh crap" expression that we will cut to on our hero. Try not to think to logically about how the ship works. It's a cartoon vehicle and we'll probably squash and stretch it to emphasize the action.

We can get away with a lot in 3D because parts of the ship can scale rotate and overlap inside the hatches (as long as this isn't visible to the camera). Logically a rocket launcher wouldn't fit if there were already a railgun stored inside. But with 3D we can store objects so that they occupy the same space. Make sense?

In the end I think we'll probably need 4 versions of the ship. One for general flying around shots (the hatches can be unoperational. Another 2 for the gun and the mechanical hand scenes. And the last will have a detailed cockpit for the end when the aliens give up and exit the ship.

ila_solomon - The shape of the head is looking much better. I know it's still WIP, but I'll mention these things just so that you don't overlook them.

The eyes should have eyelids.
My sketches had 4 nostrils and they were lower.
I'm still not happy with the ears. Too symetrical and trumpet looking. Maybe more organic where they attach to the head. Those donut shapes on the skull should be skin rolls.
Neck thinner.

Here's a link to the audio files that I mentioned previously. [Right-click-save]
Voices are rough, but they'll do for animation tests.
Voice Credit = Dan Ross

Last edited by Kirt : 02 February 2003 at 12:55 AM.

Old 01 January 2003   #33
Allrite, here is an update. I slimmed up the sides considderably, and improved the overall shape considderably. if u want an overhead il give it to u. But rite now im dead tired so im gonna goto bed early. Cya guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shipchanged.jpg (24.4 KB, 475 views)

Old 01 January 2003   #34
ill join gladly awesome concept too!

Old 01 January 2003   #35
Just wanted to let ya know that this project looks great so far. If there is anything I can do to lend a hand just let me know. I can do some light modeling and animation with Maya or XSI, also have Combustion, Illusion for FX or Compositing and Avid Xpress DV so I could do some editing as well. I have access to broadband so no prob getting the files. I could also help out with the web site as the web is what sent me down this strange and twisted path I am on these days. Please let me know.

Old 01 January 2003   #36
again, some additions + tweaks: (still wip u know)
Kirt, I keep 3 noseholes just because of 3 eyes & 3 fingers structure, if you don't mind.

"Billions of bilious blue blistering barbecued barnacles!...Cannibal!"

Old 01 January 2003   #37
Hey, pwhitlock, I'm sort of "in charge" of the website, I wouldn't mind you working with me, though these guys may need you more for modeling and such...

Kirt, you've got volunteers, where are you?

*starts slapping Kirk's volunteers*

*kirt* "trent, what are you doing?"

*trent* "I was anticipating you will, sir."

*kirt* "go away, please"

*trent: *jumps off ship*

Hehe, just bored...

EDIt: Hey, Kirt, is it OK if I go ahead and make you a site? splash and all? It won't be anything fancy, and it'll be missing a lot of the stuff, but I think I can wing a decent site, do you mind if I got ahead and start?

Last edited by unLevel : 01 January 2003 at 11:41 PM.

Old 01 January 2003   #38
ila_solomon - Wow, that's starting to look really good! Excellent work. The 4 nostrils was done deliberately to break up the 3-n-3 pattern of his anatomy. I drew him originally with 3, but I liked 4 better. What does everyone else think? 3 or 4 nostrils?

Rice ManX - I still think the scale looks off. Bring the center height of the canopy up and round it off more. That should probably fix it.

CGFreak - I don't have anything specific at the moment, but if you'd like to design a few props that would get us moving on some more modelling. Need: hand gun for hero, teardrop shaped mobile home (2 wheeled with trailor hitch type), weapon designs for ship, mechanical hand designs for ship.

Wiz - What can you offer? Skills? Software? That might help me find a job for you to do on this project. Glad you can help, I just need to know what to assign to you.

pwhitlock - Your compositing help will be greatly appreciated. I didn't have time in school to mess with composite software, so that's one of my greatest weaknesses.

unLevel - Are we ready for a website already? Geez you guys are really pushing me on this ... keep it up! What can we set up on the site? We'll need a place to put files that everyone can share and hosting concept work would be nice (my webspace is going to eventually run out of room).

I imagine that we'll want to keep somethings to ourselves so that there are a few surprises to the public when the film is done. For example, if we post up the complete storyboard the jokes will be expected and not as funny. So, restricted access to some files would probably be a good thing.

That's all I have for now ... I've been sick the past couple of days.

Old 01 January 2003   #39
No wait ... I do have this horrible title graphic that I was playing around with. It sucks, I know. But what can you expect when I'm coughing up my spleen?

Last edited by Kirt : 10 October 2003 at 06:53 AM.

Old 01 January 2003   #40
coughing up your spleen? Take two of these *hands "2" to Kirt* and call me in the morning...

Ok, hmm....I wish there was a good FREE webhost out there that I could host all of you guys, kinda like what I want to do with CoLabs (we'll be offering artists their own webspace one day hopefully)....

Oh, well, I'll get right to work on the site, and start hunting up webhosts...

Old 01 January 2003   #41
Well let me know when you get to the point that I can be of assistance.

Old 01 January 2003   #42
hehe, playing around, splash concept....

http://collab.f2o.org/portfolios/Tr...ashconcept1.gif

EDIT: Just got a good idea for sometihng....disregard that splash....hehhe, this is going to be cool...hehe

Old 01 January 2003   #43
pwhitlock - can you do modelling also? Do you or anyone else have access to a recording studio or something suitable that we can record voices? Know anyone who is a voice talent who might be interested in helping with this no budget project?

unLevel - "Be afraid"? What are you trying to say? I'm waiting with nervous apprehension for your next submission.

Old 01 January 2003   #44
I can help in modeling!
i work with wings so i can pretty much improt it with out any problem to any Program!

Old 01 January 2003   #45
Kirt, I was JUST PLAYIN...

I, too, am waiting anxiously for my next submission...

Thread Closed share thread