Old 01-24-2003, 09:16 PM   #1
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Alienz - a short film project

OK co-lab folks ... here's a start for my proposed short film project. If you missed the description of this short here it is.
Quote:
The story is sort of MIB'ish and revolves around 2 juvenile delinquent aliens and a border patrol agent (by border I mean "Earth"). The aliens cause a lot of havoc (i.e. cattle mutilation, crop circles, RV abduction, etc.) and the agent tries several times to arrest the hooligans.

There should be enough challenging things in the short for 3D guys (which is one of the reasons I haven't started on it yet). There's a runny nose scene, several effects shots with UFO lighting and rocket blasts, a liquid substance shot and it all takes place outdoors (trees, rocks, grass, etc. with wind dynamics).

I think it will run around 3-4 minutes. Depends on what I add/remove when I re-do the storyboards.
I have Maya 3.0 and I know how to use it, but I'm not the most skilled at it. Consider me a newbie when it comes to 3D. Which means I'll need lots of help with modelling, texturing, rigging, animating and FX if this film will ever be made.

I'll be taking this slow because I do work full time and have a wife and 3 kids who need my attention occassionally. But, I'm going to be dedicated to this if there are some people who are interested in helping me out with it.

I'm currently re-working the character designs and storyboards and I'll post additional stuff as I complete it. But for now here is the first alien design (see below) if someone wants to start modelling and work on a few animation tests (character sheet coming next).

NOTE - this alien is approximately 3 feet tall or 1 meter (if I remember my metrics properly) and should be pretty flexible for the animation. Squash-n-stretching much like a Warner Bros animation.

I also have some wav files that might be good for lip sync tests. A friend of mine did some sample recordings a while ago. I'll post a link to the files when I get my ftp issues resolved.

This project is for fun, learning and sense of accomplishment. I hope a few of you can help. PM me full names for the credits if you do any work on it, and I'll keep a project log and try to keep everyone motivated.

That's all for now ...

Last edited by Kirt : 10-04-2003 at 06:48 AM.

Old 01-25-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
ilasolomon
The Antediluvian [Bird]

portfolio
ila solomon
CG Supervisor
Sinking Ship Entertainment
Toronto, Canada

Hi Kirt, what can I do for you?...just ask, you can count on me!
Regards
Ila

"Billions of bilious blue blistering barbecued barnacles!...Cannibal!"

Old 01-26-2003, 02:53 AM   #3
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Hi Ila! Glad you can help. Right now, while everyone is waiting on me to complete the storyboards, I'd like to see this alien character modeled and put through a few tests just to see that he'll move properly. I'm not a great character modeller so I'm not sure if the design is something that will translate well to 3D.

I know that cloth can be a problem so his outfit is going to be a challenge (or maybe not ... that's why I want to see him moving). Also, once we get something started it might attract some others to the project.

Oh ... one shot in the film will call for him to have a cold and some really runny stuff dripping from his nose and mouth. This is probably going to be one of those tough shots to do. I envision really stringy strands of muchous to be streached and flung around by his hand movements. Would be funny if he could blow a snot bubble with his nose or mouth also. This is something we could test as well ... start thinking about solutions.

I have a couple sound clips that we can try lip synching with. They are a few of the emotions that he'll be put through during the story (laughing, giggling, sneezing, getting sick, confused, etc.) I'm trying to get the files uploaded to my webspace, but no luck so far. Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you'd like me to forward them to you that way.

Like I said ... there's no real rush on this project so we're going to take it slow and easy to make sure that the quality is there and consistant. This is my first film to direct, so be patient with me as I try to get things organized and everything rolling along.

Hopefully, within a year or so we'll have a finished short that we're all proud of.

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2003, 03:07 AM   #4
unLevel
the bevel

Trent Smith
USA

Calling for duty, sir!

Well, I'm pretty much a newb at 3d, but I can make a nice website for that project when it gets established enough....

Maybe some of you 2d guys could help with that mascot project around here somewhere....

Oh, if you need any mechanical stuff, that's what I'm trained for, so just holler...

Old 01-26-2003, 05:56 AM   #5
Rice ManX

Highschool student

Send a message via AIM to Rice ManX
Hey

Count me in also... this sounds like alot of fun! Il give that alien a shot

I also have a few ideas for space ships and guns.....

Old 01-26-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

I'll have some basics of the ship up soon. I have a general design, it just needs to be tweeked to perfection. Glad that we have a few people interested in this already. You are all going to keep me busy with your enthusiasm. Just try not to get ahead of me ok? heheheh

Take frequent breaks ... we're not on a schedule, yet.

Old 01-26-2003, 07:26 PM   #7
ilasolomon
The Antediluvian [Bird]

portfolio
ila solomon
CG Supervisor
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Just try not to get ahead of me ok?

Sorry Kirt, I can't promise that!

Old 01-26-2003, 07:33 PM   #8
ilasolomon
The Antediluvian [Bird]

portfolio
ila solomon
CG Supervisor
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Also, the alien will have a partner in crime. I was thinking he'd be the same type, but different build and clothing so the two are distinquishable. But, if you want to try and make a different race of alien we could probably do that.
Only restrictions are that he has to be short (about 3 feet) to fit in the ship, He has to have arm/hand that are somewhat humanoid for wiping nose, high-five, pointing, and carrying objects, etc. And he must have enough features on his face to display a wide range of emotions (laughing, sneezing, suprised, etc.)

& I tried some quick sketches...but not all of them in crime! ... stupid, scientist, pirate, ...

Last edited by ilasolomon : 01-28-2003 at 09:17 PM.

Old 01-26-2003, 07:53 PM   #9
Rice ManX

Highschool student

I like the 5th sketch alot

Kirt that would be great if u could post up some of your ship sketches.... il see if i can't keep myself busy in modelling this alien. First attempt made him too weird and mean looking

Old 01-26-2003, 09:45 PM   #10
ilasolomon
The Antediluvian [Bird]

portfolio
ila solomon
CG Supervisor
Toronto, Canada

Rice ManX you should be in hurry!

wire
shade

Old 01-26-2003, 09:48 PM   #11
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Ila - I actually like the direction you're going with 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are too sinister. They have to be somewhat goofy and mischievious looking. Going for a simple design too so that the characters 'read' well while in action. Number 5 is an example of "too gadgety" for this short. Too much to distract the viewer.

Rice ManX - I knew you guys would get fidgety for the spaceship designs so I worked on them a bit this morning. I'm going to abuse the attachment option here until I can get my webspace fixed. Then I'll edit all posts to link to the images.

Last edited by Kirt : 10-04-2003 at 06:51 AM.

Old 01-26-2003, 10:04 PM   #12
ilasolomon
The Antediluvian [Bird]

portfolio
ila solomon
CG Supervisor
Toronto, Canada

hey, nice flying saucer, but don't you think it must be simplified like the characters? (as u said)
emmm, I had some spaceship sketch before, maybe they are usefull & can be changed to fit to your short. here they are:

01, 02, 03, 05, 06

Last edited by ilasolomon : 01-26-2003 at 10:16 PM.

Old 01-26-2003, 10:24 PM   #13
Frinsklen
Guybrush Threepwood

Andrés G. Lázaro
student & freelancer
Madrid, España

Hi,

just making sure I subscribe to this thread, it sounds very interesting.

I'm not saying I'm in, but I'll keep an eye on this and I'll post some sketches in the next few days, just for fun... who knows.. maybe I'll join you later (if you admit me of course)

Old 01-26-2003, 10:24 PM   #14
Rice ManX

Highschool student

hmmm k then u want me to work on the space ship i can do that much better than humanoid figures... ??? i finished the head but it looks like crap i did it in less than an hour.... so i think il start on the space ship... i like Kirts sketches. but u guys can guide me here. I won't be back at the computer for a few hours. Cya

Old 01-26-2003, 10:35 PM   #15
unLevel
the bevel

Trent Smith
USA

Soo...

Are we just dropping the mascot?

Thread Closed share thread