Combustion 3d Perspective Viewport PAN

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2002
Unless I'm wrong, I didnt' think that you can render your files using the perspective view, I was under the impression that the perspective view is to be used to aid in setting up multiple layers within 3d space (XYZ), and that the camera view is what is actually going to be rendered. So this is my question. If you render from the camera view, and you can do a camera pan from the camera view, and what you are trying to achieve is a camera pan, then why are you trying to do it in an area of the program that isn't meant to do that task.

As a compositor one of the greatest parts of the job I find is to think around problems and find soloutions to be able to do certain things with the software that people say you can't. Not always, but usually with some creative thinking you can achieve any effect you are trying to create or at the very least achieve a reasonable facsimile of the effect you are trying to create.

12 December 2002
I know you are right in your perspective. The most important tast of an artist must be a practical intelligence. But I think that this is not the point. As a compositing artist, years ago I tried to make anims and composites with my Amiga 500 and Delux Paint III and I printed them using a cam and 1084s color monitor. Believe or not that worked in old days
But in this case there is a company that say to me that I can make a 3d composites freely (with tilt, zoom, pan) in 3d virtual space. I m working with FFI and Max for several years, so I think that only Discreet could make this happen I said to my company that I worked to purchaise Combustion as a compositing software and they gave aprox 5000 $ to it. Now as a professional I can not able to say:
" The most important tast of an artist must be a practical intelligence."
I know that I over racting a little bit about the subject. Honestly I still congratulate Discreet work on Combustion. And I know that I can find the ways to do my job correctly. But we know that Discreet can make this tool for his products. So he have the code for this. This tool work to gain me a time so I have the reason for disputing this subject...

12 December 2002
yes I agree, they do have this code, and they could use it in combustion, however this would not be sound business on discreet's part. Yes combsution uses some of the same technology that it's bigger brothers (FFI) use, such as colour correcting, tracking etc., but obviously it can't contain all of the code used in these higher end programs. Combustion is meant to be a less expensive tool that has a broader user base than FFI, this is because it cost's less. It is also used to augment FFI. If discreet were to include this code within combustion, it wouldn't be combustion anymore, it would be flame (obviously there are more things other than this particular code that set the flame apart from combustion, but you get my point). Combustion is a cost effective alternative to other mid range compositing applications such as commotion and after effects. We can't expect it to do the same things that FFI can do, especially not for the price that it sells at, there is a huge difference in price between Combustion and FFI and the reason is because of the different things each program can do. I understand your frustration with certain aspects of the software, but that is the nature of the beast, if one wants a program to behave like FFI then they should purchase either a flint, flame or inferno. Or if they are ambitious enought I suppose they could create their own software

12 December 2002
Sorry but I think you dont read my reply carefully. I never made a confrontation between FFI and C2. I can see the Discreet strategy very clearly...
I find this absurd because there is ZOOM and TILT in perspective view but PAN is not. Can you see the paradox. Discreet used this code in MAX who is a very ECONOMIC alternative of 3d appz. So this isn t about money...

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread