What IDE do you use for MEL development?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2004
I used to use UltraEdit with MEL highlighting to but a friend of mine told me about Blue-MEL Studio. And now I wouldn't use anything else

05 May 2004
code genie here! did not liked ultra edit or crimson!

05 May 2004
I use ConText you can get it free from here
set it to php and its a pritty good match for the mel script

06 June 2004
I'm currenly using Nedit under Linux. There is a Mel/sl/rib syntax highlighting mode in highend3d, and it's really cool :P

07 July 2004
Nothing like MelStudio!

It's the ONLY editor INSIDE Maya.
This makes possible some things that to other editors are forbidden, like listing/autocompletion of DAG object's attributes, drag&drop mel code onto/from shelf, quickHelp on Mel commands, full list of all procedures and expression (a la Visual Studio!), maya-like document panning (alt+MMB!), ecc.ecc.

Irreplaceable for me...

07 July 2004
maolu- I completely agree, MEL Studio rocks. Now if only they'd drop the price a little...

07 July 2004
I know Max Liani (MelStudio creator) and i know that pricing is estabilished by Digimation, that currently is MelStudio official reseller, so he cannot decide very much about pricing....

07 July 2004
a newbie with MEL, but I'm always using nedit for any type of scripting that I do (Python mostly).

regards

.stefan

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by bentllama: i have had no problems with the syntax highlighting...I will look at my settings and post them here

How can I grab your config?

08 August 2004
recommendations for OS X?

Aside from emacs, does anyone have recommendations for MEL editing on OS X? I have used UltraEdit and liked it alot. Wish Blue MEL Studio were available for the Mac, but alas, neither are.

08 August 2004
Hi aaron,

JEdit... it's a good crossplatform editor, that also should work on Mac, if Java is installed...

you can download a modified and updated Mel Highlighter for Jedit here...

it's a little modificated and updated than the orignally highlight file by Ron Bublitz...
some of the changes are commented it in the XML file, so if you don't like the way it's highlighted you can change it back...

regarding JEdit you can also read this thread from Jason Schleifers forum... Mel editors??, Whats a good mel editor...

an other java based editor is "cutter" made by malcolm kesson...

regards

Alex

one mistake can ruin it all... :)

08 August 2004
if you're using linux, you can get the the syntax highlighting for kwrite i made here: http://tdp.nu/ofer/kate_stuff/

cheers,
o

08 August 2004
I you are or want to be a (UNIX) nerd, you can use VIM (www.vim.org) it is FREE and available on about every platform. It has got MEL highlighting among lots of others and very advanced editing features.

You will have some strange shortcuts when you aren't used to UNIX editors, but when you get used to them, you don't want anything else!!

08 August 2004
Used to use notepad for all my programming, but then i found Mel studio LE, and though it does not have the full list of features that the pro version has, it is completely adequate for me...

It is available free from http://www.digimation.com/software/...?product_id=162

only one thing annoys me, and that is the inability to have multiple scripts open at once, but it is a great program anyways

We like this! More free programs for the people...

-"If you guys could get off with 3 to 5 anonymous partners a night for ten years, you would have a smile so intense, they would have to jackhammer it off your corpse when you were dead" //Henry Rollins

10 October 2004
MelStudio because:

inside Maya,
most editing function,
highlighting,
easily expression creating + productivity + management
(select another object dont clearing expression and over)
multytab interface.

Highly recomended

reply share thread