DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

Deleting last entry in a textField via a command

I'm wondering if there is any way to delete the last entry in a textField via a command?
Sure there's always backspace, but let us assume that this field cannot be modified via the keyboard but only via commands.

You have the
-insertText -flag for inserting new stuff into the field but no flag for deleting things.

NOTE: I'm not interested in textField -e -text "" $field;
I want to delete the last entry.

Tokenizing the field text, store in an array and delete last array entry seems like a sloppy solution, so maybe another approach would be to create some kind of undo-queue for the field by using optionVars?

What are your thoughts?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

I dont quite understand why you think tokenize would be sloppy. Write a little proc that takes a string and returns the same string with the required number of fields omitted. Once you have that, your actual code would only be 3 lines. 1 to query the current text, 1 to call your truncate proc and 1 to edit the textfield.

The bonus is your truncate proc can be written to be a little more general that omitting just the last field. Pass in a flag that tells it how many fields to remove, from which end, with what delimiter, etc. Then you have something you can re-use in all your other scripts that deal with text strings.

If you did this in python it would be even easier, and you could do it in a single line.

David

Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

Tokenize requires a separation character (: or _ most commonly used by ppl) and that wouldn't be of any help to be as the string I have can be highly random.

Either way, I found the page in the manual for the substring command and I think I'll just do a small procedure using that command (calc size of string, minus one, save substring to the string var).

Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread