How to call functions from external script in current script

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #1
How to call functions from external script in current script

I am trying to create a new hair system from a set of existing curves and I am running into this problem:

If I try to call the Maya Command "assignNewHairSystem" from a freshly loaded instance of Maya, then I get the error--"Cannot find procedure "assignNewHairSystem""

However, if I use the menu to create a new hair system, which calls the command "assignNewHairSystem," and then undo the result, I can then call the "assignNewHairSystem" command from my script, no problem.

Running "whatIs" on the command reveals that it is a part of the preInstalled script "DynCreateHairMenu.mel" located at:
C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack/scripts/startup/DynCreateHairMenu.mel

How can I access this script and its functions from my script? So that I don't have to manually run this command before running my script, every time I open Maya.

In other languages I am used to calling functions from other libraries by using #include and then the file name.

How is this done in mel?

Old 05 May 2012   #2
Thumbs up use the source Luke!

I see...you use the keyword "source" and the script name that contains the global procedure that you want to call.

in this case:

source DynCreateHairMenu;

worked just fine.

aaron

Old 05 May 2012   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread