BoolPro: A better mesh boolean

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2012
To the topology preservation, we added normal preservation. Please update your plugins.

03 March 2012
Looks great! I'll be sure to give it a shot.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Cheers!

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by zoharl: I updated the plugin, please give it a try.

Awesome! I will give this a try as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks @zoharl!

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by zoharl: To the topology preservation, we added normal preservation. Please update your plugins.

@zoharl - The normals preservation does not seem to be working for me. Here is an example:

Notice how I am getting messed up normals on the cutout area. I am using the latest build.

I also have another request. Can you implement a UV preservation feature? This would be so useful!

Keep up the great work!

04 April 2012
Some questions:
How should the normals be?
Do you have a simpler example?
Does a union of two spheres, one hard edge and one soft edge, work for you?
Can you share the problematic meshes?

Actually it looks fine to me, not what you wanted, but how it should be. The black surface on the intersection part has the normals pointing down, the same as the original surface that these faces came from. Do you have another algorithm in mind?
If I think of it, for intersection it make sense to invert the normals on the intersection part, but I need to consider if it covers all the cases. In your specific case, if you manually invert the normals of the to faces, does it produce what you want?

The UV preservation is in the future work along with vertex color preservation. But I'm not sure when I'll have the time for it though.

Last edited by zoharl : 04 April 2012 at 03:00 PM.

04 April 2012
Invert the normals of the cylinder before the intersection, right?

04 April 2012
The normals are pointing in the correct direction. The problem is that the cutout area normals become messed up causing the polygons to turn black. Not a huge problem...since it is fixable by unlocking the normals on the mesh then applying a smooth/harden normals.

06 June 2012
Maya 2013 BoolPro?

Anyone managed to install BoolPro into maya 2013 yet?

06 June 2012
it's not compiled for it

06 June 2012
I am also interested in a 2013 compile (win 7 x64)..beers for whomever can find the time. Thanks,

-nb

06 June 2012
Added, please test.

06 June 2012
Thanks zoharl

I will test it tonight.

07 July 2012
I'm testing this out and have run into a problem.
The scene is a cube with 2 cylinders subtracted. The original objects are white. I deleted history on the original meshes and setup the boolean before moving them. Raytrace reflections are set to 2.
In the top image, the cylinders are overlapping. The subtracted surfaces aren't rendering correctly and we can see triangulation in them.
In the bottom picture, the cylinders don't overlap, the top of the box doesn't render, the outer boolean renders correcty, but the inner boolean renders dark. Any ideas?
Thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BoolProProb01.jpg (50.6 KB, 72 views)

07 July 2012
@EightBit - I think this may be an issue with the normals getting messed up after performing the boolean operation. I mentioned this to @zoharl before but so far no fix as of yet.

Good news is you can manually fix the normals after the boolean operation since I encountered a similar problem. Try this:

Quote: The normals are pointing in the correct direction. The problem is that the cutout area normals become messed up causing the polygons to turn black. Not a huge problem...since it is fixable by unlocking the normals on the mesh then applying a smooth/harden normals.

I hope this works for you. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem can be.

07 July 2012
That is a partial help, but isn't a total fix.
I'm having better luck w/Maya's Booleans.
Thanks for the reply.

reply share thread