CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya > Maya Character Setup
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-30-2003, 03:23 AM   #61
Phearielord
Frequenter

portfolio
MJ
Wellington, New Zealand

Send a message via MSN to Phearielord
Awesome video Ambient-Whisper

Hurry up and get this working in Maya!!

Old 04-30-2003, 04:10 AM   #62
MikeRhone
Mind taker

portfolio
Mike Rhone
21st level Ninja
United Kingdom

That video is shockingly cool. I don't know how Mirai never beat out all the other packages back in 99. Hell, it still impresses me just looking at that vid now. Its a real shame that Mirai dropped out of the race considering how great it looked. I never even had heard about it until I saw Martins posts over at highend3d.

I just hope that those guys are programming tools in the basement of one of the other major 3d rivals out there. It would be enough for me to switch

Mike R

Dust Rig - tutorial for Maya

Tonga the Fox - Free cartoony rig for Maya!

Old 04-30-2003, 08:19 AM   #63
GrafOrlok
L.E.S. 4 life

portfolio
Staffan Linder
VFX Supervisor
Fido
stockholm, Sweden

Oooh, that video is awesome ambient-whisper. One thing that pops into mind when seeing it though. It seams kind of awkward to do the skeleton. looks like you have to pick each joint from a menu instead of just drawing them. But the animation possibilities are awesome!

The SEGA video was also very cool, Jason. These two videos really show the way I want to work. I've been doing some rigs with Character Studio in mind, but as we all know Maya won't let you do certain things. Let's hope A/W takes this into consideration. If they picked up just some of these ideas Maya would be a dream to work with...

Old 04-30-2003, 09:17 AM   #64
fasteez
Frequenter

Send a message via ICQ to fasteez Send a message via AIM to fasteez
Ive just seen the sega video, its simply what i dream of for animation, a "pupett master" tool
If there is a project for adding this way of working to maya , id like to help it ^^

it reminds me when i was playing with my GI.JOE toys lol

Old 04-30-2003, 09:44 AM   #65
fasteez
Frequenter

Old 04-30-2003, 09:48 AM   #66
kamil_w
Frequenter

If you want these ideas to be implemented in Maya vote on this site:

(Jason already put these ideas there ; see Future FK/IK interaction ; currently 242 votes)

maya.digication.com

Old 04-30-2003, 11:34 AM   #67
fasteez
Frequenter

Just saw the mirai's video, this soft is really amazing, Nichimen did a GREAT work, the "muscle" deformation is really easy to setup, and the bone chain manipulation is wonderfull. I just wonder why Nichimen stopped developpement of mirai
and what happened to mirai developpers???

Old 05-01-2003, 11:12 PM   #68
tOd
Frequenter

If understand what Jason is talking about Motion Builder does exactly what he is wanting it to do at least with the pinning anyway. And it performs all in REAL time and I do mean REAL time. Oh the sweet goodness of no more play blasts.

Jason,
You can get a PLE Mac version for $100 bucks and its fully functional and you can use it to make money as a freelancer for a year. Then after year you can get a permanant license for another $100. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Old 05-02-2003, 12:30 AM   #69
Hugh
Compositor

Hugh Macdonald
2D Supervisor
Nvizible
United Kingdom

I'm not entirely sure that Jason needs freelancer work at the moment...

If you can get hold of the June issue of DIGIT Magazine, it has the freelancer edition with it (although to upgrade that to the permanent license costs $200, and you don't get the manuals that way)

Old 05-03-2003, 04:39 AM   #70
ambient-whisper
Gone travelling :D

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Martin Krol
Pixomondo
Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Graf Orlok
Oooh, that video is awesome ambient-whisper. One thing that pops into mind when seeing it though. It seams kind of awkward to do the skeleton. looks like you have to pick each joint from a menu instead of just drawing them. But the animation possibilities are awesome!

actually i really like the setup of bone creation in mirai. the reason i say this is because it doesnt feel like your drawing bones but rather feels like modelling.

what you can do..( err what i do is... i dont pick each bone from a menu but rather make one large bone. this will either be my spine.. or arm.. etc. then i can split that into a number of bones which i can position correctly.

the reason i like this method is because i know right off the bat what my rotation axes for each bone will be. drawing can often flip the facing direction/rotation axis of a bone. which is why i dont "draw" them.

Old 05-03-2003, 05:49 PM   #71
muckywetnoodle
blockhead

portfolio
Eric Maki
Artist
Petroglyph Games
Las Vegas, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to muckywetnoodle
YES! I would love to see a Mirai-like option in Maya. The thing that's difficult to show is all the right-click menus. If they could capture the simplicity and still leave you access to all the motion curves that would be great.

You can just draw bones (say from an ortho view) or sculpt them in Mirai.

Last edited by muckywetnoodle : 05-03-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Old 05-04-2003, 02:27 AM   #72
bentllama
warrior soul

CGSociety Member
portfolio
nate walpole
motion zealot
USA

Send a message via AIM to bentllama Send a message via MSN to bentllama
Coming from a 2D background I really dig the notion to animate without technical aspects bogging down your mind.

I have had a chance on several occasions with my last employer to play with Mirai's animation tools. I liked the pinning aspects and I LOVE animating POSE to POSE when I can...so I really look forward to something coming out of this discussion in a tangible way within Maya.

Shamus Culhane, in his book "Animation: From Script to Screen", had a wonderful piece of advice. He used to put his eraser away when he animated and worked through a scene...so he could not erase and rework his initial premonition of the drawing...he was feeling the motion and not fighting with volumes, line quality, etc...similar to the kinds of technical hurdles we all face as CG animators. He was letting art happen...

Last edited by bentllama : 05-04-2003 at 02:51 AM.

Old 05-04-2003, 03:03 AM   #73
CGmonkey

portfolio
B S
Norway, Norway

Ambient-Whisper - Breathtaking video.. awesome stuff!

Old 05-07-2003, 11:10 AM   #74
joie
Lexus-friendly

portfolio
JOSE MIGUEL ARAGUES
3D Animatior and TD at www.vortice3d.com
Zaragoza, Spain

Wow, I´m amazed about these things happen here, only one question, will be SEGA´s software available for production?

"Don´t trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

Old 05-13-2003, 11:17 PM   #75
jscarr
Veteran
Joe Scarr
FX Lead
FastFX
Los Angeles, USA

Animanium CE at E3 #2129 West Hall (Sega)

Animanium for production? I sure hope so -- looks like they've been using it in house and in Japan for a while now.

It'll be shown at E3 and I'll be posting info on what's there...

More info and some video samples here (check out the last one for animating speed):
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59715

I also have a 45Mb video at higher res that's quite a bit longer than those samples. Email me if you want it.

Apparently there's already an existing connection for Max -- will find out about Maya, LW & others, too...

-Joe

reply share thread