Reset HumanIK controls

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Reset HumanIK controls

Is there a way to reset the HumanIK controls back to 'bind' or neutral pose?

=magilla

06 June 2013
2012 I am guessing?

I think that still had this icon:

Click on it with the effector selected in Fully Body or Body Parts mode.

06 June 2013
thanks Richard,

whereabouts would I find that icon?

(yes 2012)

06 June 2013
If it is there it would be along the top of the character controls window where there are icons to choose the display of the control rig as well as the keying mode. And all the way to the right should be the icon to reset the controls to the rest potion.

06 June 2013
dang, it's not there. there must be an alternate way. I checked the marking menus but can't see anything.

06 June 2013
I was going to look up the alternate way but got lazy.

I don't have 2012 installed ATM.

But it should be under the menu.

And under the Control Rig sub-menu/Stance Pose (in 2012). It is different in later versions.

(note that of course this is different than the Stance input)

I would guess there is some way to make a button for this and stick it on a shelf.

06 June 2013
Thanks for your help Richard but I think we may have crossed wires. There is a stance pose under the Control Rig and the Source menu, but this essentially just puts the whole rig back into a T-pose at world zero (ie, the stance pose).

What I am trying to do is just reset say the spine or the clavicle to 'zero' whilst the rest of the rig remains as is. Pretty much every other rig I've ever used has this ability. With biped I used to have poses stored for this purpose. I may have to create a library of poses for this, although with the mounting number of issues I am having with human IK I'm not sure I want to keep using it.

06 June 2013
I understand what you want. But also understand you are not working with a custom rig. HIK is an entire system and a different workflow with advantages and disadvantages. It will never be the same as a custom rig.

You don't want the Stance input you want the Control Rig input. Stance input is another thing. We don't need to go into that here.

The Stance Pose however works in Full body or in Body Parts mode. It does not work in any other mode. If you select the hips and reset, that moves the hips back to 0. (if you want reset only the X use the channel box ) If you are in Body Parts keying mode it will move only the Hips. If in Full Body keying mode the whole rig will reset to the Stance Pose even if you have a wrist effector selected.

To set individual parts (IK chains) use the Body Parts mode.

You can reset the arm or leg chains and the head/neck back to stance relative to the hips position in world space when using Body Parts.

To reset the spine bones individually no need to use a pose. Just use the channel box and set the rot to 000. This will reset them locally.

There is no individual control for the clavicle that I am aware of as far as resetting. It will reset with the arm chain. A pose would be helpful here.

The power in HIK is in the use of the IK/FK sliders as well as the fully body mode for posing, then re-targeting animation from control rig to control rig. You have to get used to a different workflow, a different way of posing and animating. Don't try and apply other methods here or you will get tripped up. Get used to the power of this entire workflow and use it for what it is good for.

No one can argue that this is better than a custom rig. It is different and with its own advantages. But you can also use this with a custom rig and assign the HIK controls to your custom rig to have the HIK system take over when being controlled by the control rig.

And finally you are using a version that is 2 years old. I think it was introduced in 2011? But in any case it has been a WIP so 2014 has many features and big fixes.

Not going to say what is better for you. But this info should help you get your head around it I hope.

06 June 2013
All good info Richard, but I'm afraid none of that is working for me. Body part or full body makes no difference. It just doesn't work.

However it has made me think - I can select all of the fk controls (ik chains or not) and zero out the channel box - this works!

Thanks for kick-starting my brain.

06 June 2013
Well glad to get you going anyway.

Yeah, it may not be working properly in 2012, but I can not confirm as I don't have it installed.

But indeed you can reset controllers with the channel box. If you are going to be using HIK it is probably a good reason to upgrade - if you can.

Personally I use MotionBuilder but set up all my rigging in Maya.

Good luck!

06 June 2013
cheers again - might be worth upgrading if pivot effectors worked in 2014.

06 June 2013
Yeah I saw your other posts on that. Have not had time to have a play. They work OK in Mobu... But if I get a chance I'll have a look in Maya 2014.

You could always have a go with the trial and see.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread