CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya > Maya Character Setup
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Loosing Skin Connection

This is happening fairly consistently.

My workflow is I skin my character and then start building some other poly objects in the scene either from scratch or by importing obj to use as nCloth objects.

I am using Layers. So I will often put the rig and the body in another layer as well as the cloth objects in their own layers. Just FYI. Everything seems to work OK here.

But at some point along the line I go back to try and animate the body or import some motions from MotionBuilder and I find then, that the skin has become detached. It has been completely deleted from the scene.

I do not ever touch the body or the rig. I don't delete any history on it.I usually simply hide it out of the way using layers and that is it. But something I do someplace causes the skin to detach and I have not been able to track it down.

Now of course I can always go back and open the rig file and then export and import the cloth objects into that scene.

The problem is, I also find this happening while I already have the rig and the cloth objects working in my scene. Then I'll go in and do some attribute painting or other edits to the cloth, only to find once again the skin on the body has become detached.

Anyone have any ideas where I might look as to what is causing this?

Maya 2014.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

My first thought is that you are using delete all by type -> history on a different object in the scene rather than delete by type -> history. They are very different commands.

If that is not the source of the problem, then I would suggest using references. Save out your skinned mesh as a file with nothing else in the scene. Then use the reference editor to load the mesh into your scene. That way you cannot directly edit it.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Ah, I think that might be it. I may have used the "All" command by mistake. That is the most likely answer. And I agree about referencing, something I was thinking about doing as a result of this.

Thanks for the response.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread