Weight Painting Becoming Impossible 2014

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Weight Painting Becoming Impossible 2014

I am pretty sure I am using the same work flow from 2013.5 which was working fine.

First I Smooth Bind with Heat.

Then I go in and tweak.

But I am running into issues that are taking forever to workaround, making painting nearly impossible.

First thing that happens is I am painting a smooth between two influences. Undo does not return to the previous state but rather borks it entirely, removing influences from one of the two bones entirely and I have to go in and repaint and resmooth.

But what starts happening is that it seems to stop being able to actually smooth the two areas and begins removing influence from the ajacent bone and I go around in circles, finally have to restart the app and then it will begin working properly again.

But then further, someplace along the line perhaps an undo (or whatever) will assign influences to the area I am working on from a bone far away.

Then I have to go an hunt down that influence and erase it.

This type of thing goes on and on around in circles for hours for something I should be able to do in a matter of minutes in another app.

Something I am doing wrong?

Seems that painting was working fine before.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Not sure as I'm still using 2013.5 most of the time here, but I do remember reading that the default bind mode for the skin deformer has reverted in 2014 to Interactive rather than the newer Post method introduced a couple of versions ago, might that be a factor? I remember that Undo seems less stable with Interactive than Post.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Ah.... that would explain a few things, as in essence it is a normalization issue. And yes, it was set to Interactive. So that made me go back and hit the books again and as a result rediscovered the Wieght Hammer which is a faster way to kill those errant points.

I'll play with this more and that may have been all it was.

Too bad about the Interactive undo though. It is seriously borked, as is apparently that mode. But I suppose you can normalize after the fact if need be. Probably a better workflow.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
If you are interested, here is a video where I walk through my work flow for painting skin weights (video) which I find to work out quite well for me.

Interactive and Post both have their uses. I use interactive for replace and post for smooth. That is the gist of it anyways.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thanks for the video. Interesting to see your workflow. Lots of good tips in there.

Does look like my issue was with normalization.

In 2014 for me, Interactive is completely borked and working in that mode is just a trove of bugs.

But Post seems to do well for my workflow.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
also look for "ngskintools". A super layer based skin painting tool. Just don't know if it has support for 2014 yet.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread