Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Question Maya Character Mapping - reverse the mapping coordinate

So I'm farily familiar with the overall workflow involved with mapping one character with another. My main issue here is that I have no idea how to map one axis to another in the REVERSE direction. Something like: +Yt to -Zt, rather than the a straight forward +Yt to +Zt. I've looked all through the help docs but haven't been able to find anything remotely useful. Does anyone here know what sort of voodoo that's needed to make this happen? It would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited by LordRaidis : 04-08-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Here's a screenshot for clarity. I just want to map these two points up, but send one in the negative direction. I know how to do this in Max, but Maya's system appears to be slightly more illusive...

Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
berniebernie
Schmppff...

portfolio
Bernie B.
Paris, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRaidis
Here's a screenshot for clarity. I just want to map these two points up, but send one in the negative direction. I know how to do this in Max, but Maya's system appears to be slightly more illusive...

you can feed it through a reverse node or a multiply divide node with -1 -1 -1 as 2nd input.

Open up the hypershade (there are many methods this is the one I use), select your objects and hit 'input output connections' )

add a reverse node or multiply divide node from the left bar (under utilities), then using middle mouse button drag and drop attributes from and to your nodes

Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniebernie
you can feed it through a reverse node or a multiply divide node with -1 -1 -1 as 2nd input.

Open up the hypershade (there are many methods this is the one I use), select your objects and hit 'input output connections' )

add a reverse node or multiply divide node from the left bar (under utilities), then using middle mouse button drag and drop attributes from and to your nodes

You sir, are a god-king! Thank you so much!! I'll try this and let you know how it works out

Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Ok, so I managed to get this far. I just can't figure out how to hook the danged thing up! So I see the reverse node's XYZ I/O connections, but apparently character clips seem to operate on some "raw" nodes driven by the animCurveTL1 "apply" output. Not sure how to get this to translate correctly. Any ideas?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
berniebernie
Schmppff...

portfolio
Bernie B.
Paris, France

I have no idea what those clips are but you're trying to connect animation curves, can't you instead connect the controllers/bone/transform values ?

ie if controller A goes -x controller B goes x.

Maybe you should explain more the 'mapping one character with another' bit because it seems vague and your screenshot looks like you've delved too deep.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Yeah you would think so, but I'm copying animation clips in trax editor. From what I can tell the clips don't appear to operate on the standard XYZ system. Just create a "character" and create an "animation clip" in trax editor, copy that animation to a second object, then expand in the hyper graph and you'll see what I mean. No XYZ nodes to speak of... like the shot that I just posted.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It'd be great if I could figure this problem out. It's an important project I'm doing for work

Last edited by LordRaidis : 04-11-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Btw, I'm only doing this with simple objects for now so I can get the process down. I'm going to be transferring clip animations using actual characters later on. My main issue is the the rig I'm bringing in from max, has negative values due to some joint mirroring so some of the joints are rotating in the opposite direction. Not all, but some...

Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

Wait a minute... I think I just figured it out. I just have to hit "activate keys" and I get my XYZs back! Going to try this again now...

Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
LordRaidis
Veteran
Angelo Vildasol
---, USA

BOOM.

Again, thanks for the help! Most appreciated...

Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread