Tricks for fixing botched blend shapes?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Tricks for fixing botched blend shapes?

As I mentioned in another thread, I've created a character with a bunch of blend shapes. I've however noticed that I've messed it up, somewhat.

My character is in one single piece. The copy I based all my blend shapes on seems to have been ever so slightly deformed - The hip controller moved just 0.004 units on the Y axis. This, however, makes it very noticeable when I use the blend shapes, the entire body moving upwards...

So, whats the best way of fixing this? As far as I can see, the only ways would be to either redo all the blend shapes, or to redo the skinning on the character. Neither of these are particularly attractive, as you can understand. So, if you have any smart solutions that doesn't require me to take my work two steps back in order to fix them, would be greatly appreciated.

Addendum: Is it possible to use a mask texture, so as to limit the blend shape nodes influence to only the face, while leaving the rest of the body alone? Or to delete the body parts of my blend shape meshes while maintaining the vertex ID on the head parts?

Cheers in advance!

Last edited by hellspawned : 11 November 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
You can paint blendshape weights (or paint them "off" I should say, since they are 100% by default) with the Edit Deformers->Paint Blend Shape Weights tool. You can paint per shape masks or the "base" weights that affect every shape.

Edit - Also if you select a deformer, pretty much any deformer, you can remove or add points using the Edit Deformers->Edit Membership tool. Sometimes selecting the deformer isn't so straightforward. I usually use the hypergraph, or copy the name from the attribute editor and paste it into the "select by name" box, or do a 'select nodeName' on the MEL command line.

Last edited by BenBarker : 11 November 2012 at 05:44 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Yep, I would paint the weights as suggested. But because I like to keep things as clean as possible, from the fixed blendshape, I'd make a fresh copy of each target, then delete that blendshape and the original targets (assuming you still have them). And finally, recreate the blendshape.

David

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Good tips from the both of you, cheers!

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread