Skin weight transfer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Skin weight transfer

Hi all,

Using the forum search option I tried to see if I could something similar to my current problem, but no luck so far.

I've downloaded a rig that is fully rigged and quite flexible. My preference is that the rig has five fingers, yet this rig has four. I took the liberty of modeling a hand for it with five fingers, but wanna try to keeping the skinning as close to the original as possible (the exception, of course, being the hands).

To keep the skinning the same I want to transfer skin weight from one model to the other, but so far I've only found solutions that involve having the same rig between models. With the extra finger there I'll need to change the amount of bones on the hand, and in turn those solutions wouldn't serve me.

Any ideas how I can decently transfer skin weights in a case like this?

Using Maya 2012.

10 October 2012
Did you try using the Maya copy weights with closet point on surface and one to one?

What you might try is bind the new model to the new skeleton and then select the original skinned mesh and then the new skinned mesh and use copy weights.

It usually does a pretty good job if most of the model and joints are in the same world space. The you can just cleanup the hands as needed.

10 October 2012
Hi,
Try:-
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...weightstransfer
Rgds,

10 October 2012
Well gmask... I still have to play with the rig some more to see if there are any errors, but that seems to have done the job Thanks for the tip!

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Terratsumetai: Well gmask... I still have to play with the rig some more to see if there are any errors, but that seems to have done the job Thanks for the tip!

You may see errors in areas where the model interpenetrates which can usually be fixed pretty well with the weight hammer. Also the DQ weight map tends to freakout when getting copied.

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread