Problem with lockWeights attribute

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2012
Problem with lockWeights attribute

Hi all,

Having a problem with a rigged character who has a long dress. In order for it to deform properly I need to paint the weights so the front is influenced by both knees.

However when I try to toggle Hold Weights on a specific bone in the Paint Skin Weights tool i get the error message "// Error: Left_Leg has no lockWeights attribute." this error occurs on all bones in the skeleton.

I've checked the Attribute Editor (Modify/Delete Attribute menu) and the bones have two attributes - lockInfluenceWeights and filmboxTypeID (not sure what this second one refers to and can't find anything on Google). Deleting these makes no difference. I've also tried adding a lockWeights attribute and still get the same error message - although I can't say for sure if I picked all the right options when adding it.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Any idea's why the skeleton might have lost its lockWeights attribute somewhere along the line, and can anyone advise me how to add/enable it again? I'm not hugely technical so advice in as close to laymans terms would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance.

01 January 2012
Was this character imported through FBX at all? There is a bug currently in the Maya 2012 release where FBX is not storing the proper short/long names for the "lockInfluenceWeight" attribute so when Maya reads it in the features that use it get messed up. Basically it doesn't store "liw" which we call in certain areas. I remember there being a workaround but I don't have it handy so I'll check and post back here.

01 January 2012
that attirbute is dynamically created at binding time . so something might went wrong . First try you can do is export skin weights detach the skin and reskin everything and import your skinweights map .

Last edited by giordi : 01 January 2012 at 02:19 PM.

01 January 2012
Thanks for the responses guys!

@BoostAbuse - yes it was imported as fbx (after being exported from Maya .mb). We are using Maya 2010, but I guess the same bug might apply. As I'm a new member my thread was delayed, so I had no choice but to start re-creating the skeleton and re-painting the weights for all the attached meshes :( but if you do find the workaround I'd be very interested to hear it!

@giordi - thanks for the info, great to know. I've never had any success exporting/re-importing skin weights. I found a great tool here - http://www.castorlee.com/maya-tools...opy-skin-weight - but unfortunately copying weights also binds the target meshes to the orginals skeleton, whereas what I wanted to do was have the same weight information but with the target meshes bound to a new skeleton with an identical hierarchy.

01 January 2012
that can be easily done changing the connections from the old skeleton from the new one

01 January 2012
Thats interesting - can you explain how, or maybe point to a good tutorial for doing this?

01 January 2013
I just made a quick post on this issue, maybe it will help you
http://www.marcuskrautwurst.com/201...n-painting.html

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Fynolt: In order for it to deform properly I need to paint the weights so the front is influenced by both knees.

This task can be done much more easily with the free plugin by Viktoras Makauskas called ng skin tools The locking weights approach is replaced with the far superior weight layers approach. Since layers can also be masked, the task of smoothing evenly between two leg chains can be accomplished in a matter of seconds.

David

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread