enjoyMentalRayStringOptions, a UI to easely use MR string options

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2011
Nice Job! Thx!

04 April 2011
thank you narann!
i got another request

finalgather passes

04 April 2011
lkj

Nice work,

If you can make the windows resizable as well

04 April 2011
Originally Posted by zartan: Nice Job! Thx!

Thanks
Originally Posted by dagon1978: thank you narann!
i got another request

finalgather passes

Done in 0.93.

Did this feature is not already used by default in Maya? Seems to be 3.7 a feature.

Once again, if it's possible, don't hesitate to check every string options work (iRay, etc...)
Originally Posted by Ptichat: Nice work,

If you can make the windows resizable as well

Thanks!

About the windows, I will need to change some things.

Add a scrollbar, collapsable frameLayouts, internal session var to keep the frameLayout open/close state.

I also think to a way to "remove" a string option from Maya...

Last edited by Narann : 04 April 2011 at 08:19 PM.

04 April 2011
Originally Posted by Narann: Thanks

Done in 0.93.

Did this feature is not already used by default in Maya? Seems to be 3.7 a feature.

Once again, if it's possible, don't hesitate to check every string options work (iRay, etc...)

Thanks!

no, maya is using the old scheme without any passes
i like the new one (3 passes), especially for setup you can see very fast if there is some problem, and it´s using the bucket order of your final image, which is better IMHO

Originally Posted by Narann: About the windows, I will need to change some things.

Add a scrollbar, collapsable frameLayouts, internal session var to keep the frameLayout open/close state.

I also think to a way to "remove" a string option from Maya...

that would be great

04 April 2011
@dagon1978

Thanks for informations

Originally Posted by gambita: Thank for share your stuff.
Do you think it's possible to add FG+IP+IR mode ?

Ow! Sorry! I didn't see your post!

About the FG+IP+IR, I have to know if string options override maya2mr standard options (if someone have more informations about that, tell me, I will not had to do tests myself).

Once that done, I have to find a way to give the opportunity for the user to add or remove some string options (to avoid a "lost" string option override maya2mr options user want).

Once the mechanism will work, I will lookup for necessary option for FG+IP+IR mode...

Maybe add all string options of this feature...

Last edited by Narann : 04 April 2011 at 10:06 AM.

04 April 2011
Originally Posted by Narann: @dagon1978

Thanks for informations

Ow! Sorry! I didn't see your post!

About the FG+IP+IR, I have to know if string options override maya2mr standard options (if someone have more informations about that, tell me, I will not had to do tests myself).

yes, they do
if you´re going to add some IP options please add also Irradiance Particles Rays (in render settings you can´t go over 500)

keep up the good work

Last edited by dagon1978 : 04 April 2011 at 02:30 PM.

04 April 2011
very nice!
thanks for sharing....

04 April 2011
thank you narann!
work fine except that the default value 0 is equal to max value 16 in FG Passes, so Fg passes is not working, the rest look impressive
/Rachid

phenomena2008sp1.zip

04 April 2011
Originally Posted by dagon1978: if you´re going to add some IP options please add also Irradiance Particles Rays (in render settings you can´t go over 500)

When adding IP rays, there is an error in how Maya exposes them.

The correct export should be three values. For mental ray this is seen as type = color

For example:

512 128 16

This means 512 primary rays, 128 rays indirect bounce, 16 rays secondary indirect bounce.

So if you implement this, it needs to export that way, and have the option to input these values. One of the reasons IP takes so long in Maya is a single value of 512 means 512 direct, 512 more indirect, 512 secondary indirect rays, etc. This was never corrected by Autodesk. But it's something you could look into.

Thanks!

04 April 2011
Originally Posted by Bitter: When adding IP rays, there is an error in how Maya exposes them.

The correct export should be three values. For mental ray this is seen as type = color

For example:

512 128 16

This means 512 primary rays, 128 rays indirect bounce, 16 rays secondary indirect bounce.

So if you implement this, it needs to export that way, and have the option to input these values. One of the reasons IP takes so long in Maya is a single value of 512 means 512 direct, 512 more indirect, 512 secondary indirect rays, etc. This was never corrected by Autodesk. But it's something you could look into.

Thanks!

mmm i don't think so, 512 means 512 8
8 is the default for all the secondary bounce, unless you use a different value
it's simple to see this, by looking at the IP messages, the secondary bounces are quite fast no matter how many IP rays you use
i got the default value (8), which is not specified in any documentation, directly from the IP developer, when i was testing the 3.8, so i'm pretty sure abut this

04 April 2011
Originally Posted by dagon1978: 8 is the default for all the secondary bounce, unless you use a different value

Hmm, interesting, in my discussions with mental images I was told that wasn't the case.

Bart also mentions it in several places, mi forum

04 April 2011
Hi all! I've done many improvements in the v0.94.

Many work on this so it should have bugs .
Don't hesitate to feedback them!

[add] IR options
[add] a scrollbar
[add] a check box to create and/or remove string option (be carefull when removing Maya's needed string options)
[fix] now optionMenuGrp get good information when load the ui
[mod] If it find a empty string option, it use it instead of create a new one (avoid the miDefaultOptions.stringOptions to have thousand of elements.)
[mod] don't create all string options when launch the UI, wait the user type checkBoxes
[min] change the way ui get min and max value for ui

Todo:

Find a way to avoid user remove Maya's needed string options (here, "irradiance particles").
Reorder category to a more intuitive view

Originally Posted by dagon1978: yes, they do
if you´re going to add some IP options please add also Irradiance Particles Rays (in render settings you can´t go over 500)

keep up the good work

Ok thanks for informations

I had add all irradiance options (max ray no limit). I will do the same for others options in the futur

Originally Posted by Eshta: very nice!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by achoury: thank you narann!
work fine except that the default value 0 is equal to max value 16 in FG Passes, so Fg passes is not working, the rest look impressive

Thanks for feedback.

The default value for FG passes is 3 in my UI. Not 0.
I suspect you have something else than a int value in your string options and my ui show 0... Should be interersting to see that point.
I had test to export a .mi file with FG passes set by my UI to 0 and I have this:
"finalgather passes" 0

So my ui well export zero.
Maybe there is something more... :(

Originally Posted by Bitter: When adding IP rays, there is an error in how Maya exposes them.

Mmmh... in the doc it is a int value:

http://docs.autodesk.com/MENTALRAY/.../node76.html#ip

The only colors type are in the scale.

Are you sur we talk about the same thing?

Originally Posted by Bitter: Hmm, interesting, in my discussions with mental images I was told that wasn't the case.

Bart also mentions it in several places, mi forum

Ow! Ok!

So it seems the number addition depend of the number of passes... I don't know how I will do that... -_-

Last edited by Narann : 04 April 2011 at 07:27 PM.

04 April 2011
Humm the UI look great
oh yes the default value is 3,but any number value you put: 0, 1, 2, ..16 you get the same result and same wallclock (time rendering)
a higher value than 8 return an error in Output Window:
RC   0.3  warn   082123: finalgather passes greater than maximum (8), corrected 

and
RC   0.3  warn   082135: finalgather passes set to 0, switching FG progressive precomputation off 

So FG pass are not working! can you confirm?
Thanks
/Rachid

phenomena2008sp1.zip

04 April 2011
Yes! Same for me!

Rendering with 0 or 16 ( >8 ) give the same result with the same wallclock.

Is the prob come from my ui?

There is output warn when n=0 or > 8 (so I suppose mr for maya understand the option) but this doesn't change anything to the render...

Bug? Or there is another FG option to use?

In the same way, I have the impression that "finalgather legacy" option doesn't work too...

Can someone confirm that? :/

Thread Closed share thread