Displacement vs proxies: best option for grass in vray?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2011
this is a quick test i did no scripts not even proxy (didnt have time to convert them) only 1 grass group

im busy these days, but ill try to make some variations...

cheers

Last edited by bazuka : 09 September 2011 at 10:31 PM.

09 September 2011
^Your distribution looks really natural..all just one pfx-derived mesh?

09 September 2011
thx,

no its the 3ds mesh ripped out from the link some1 posted in some of the previous posts...

im adding now some grass variations and the flowers

so ill post new renders soon

09 September 2011
oh right. How did you instance them?

Or did the mesh come complete with hills etc (I don't recall what those files had in them)

09 September 2011
yea i used the method i use all the time

particle instancer

i made a hill, its the same mesh (plane) i have just moved some vertexes to make more interested env

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by bazuka:
particle instancer

i made a hill, its the same mesh (plane) i have just moved some vertexes to make more interested env

Did you align the mesh to the surface using an expression? It looks very good and even which is the main thing, I take it you emitted from vertices?

09 September 2011
thx,

for grass no

but for some plants i use the align to poly normals using expression...

this is a very fast setup, no more then 10min

im using emit from surface not vertex

Last edited by bazuka : 09 September 2011 at 03:26 PM.

09 September 2011
I like to chime in with just saying that I'm trying to do a field scene with grass for my thesis and I was wondering that if its possible to convert paintfx to poly's then use the script that was mentioned (spPaint3D) with mip_binaryproxy node?

Also if I don't have vray what other options do I have?

Thanks for the input.

I'll see what I come up with in the process.

Also I can't find the mip_binaryproxey in 2012. It's not under Geo in MR sections. Any clues?

Last edited by blueb2200 : 09 September 2011 at 02:11 AM.

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by Kuky: Hi,

You can have a look at this tutorial: Peter Guthrie part1 & Peter Guthrie part2. Use the same methods in Maya.

To scatter your vray proxy use the spPaint3D script. Use instances, not duplicate. It's better to have various patches of grass as sources for your proxies like in this very nice scene from HQ Plants. Also shaders are very nice in this scene.

Regards,
Cristian

Wow, thanks Cristian. I've read those tutorials before but always wonder if there's a painting script similar to the ones mentioned in the tutorials, which was for MAX. Definitely trying out spPaint.

Richard - I think the yellow shorter grass I can see beneath the tall green ones definitely add a whole lot of realism to your render. Are they 2 different proxies just laid on top of each other?

The next step I guess is to give those grass some animations (like wind blowing) Any idea how we can get it done?

Last edited by Panupat : 09 September 2011 at 10:23 AM.

09 September 2011
Got it to work, thanks for the discussion on the workflow.

09 September 2011
Quote: The next step I guess is to give those grass some animations (like wind blowing) Any idea how we can get it done?

Paint a PaintFX patch and use the built-in windlike turbulence. Make that loopable (there's an option for that in the pfx menu), convert to poly, export as vray proxy with animation, import back in and paint away

Last edited by derMarkus : 09 September 2011 at 06:32 PM.

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by Panupat:
Richard - I think the yellow shorter grass I can see beneath the tall green ones definitely add a whole lot of realism to your render. Are they 2 different proxies just laid on top of each other?

Pretty much. Used LayoutTools to instance the first proxy, then the second, to the faces of a plane the equivalent of 3x3m. Then I just selected the whole lot and randomized the placement by a few units/cm in the x and z (and a smidge in the y) using LayoutTools.

Last edited by Richard7666 : 09 September 2011 at 06:38 AM.

09 September 2011
Anyone know what is going on here?

The leaves on this tree, when rendered in Vray RT, turn out correctly.

However, when rendered with the full renderer, the leaves have a grey sheen to them

Any ideas what is going on? I was following Peter Guthrie's excellent tutorial here http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/20...utorial-leaves/ however some of the Max-specific stuff may have gotten lost in translation...maybe something to do with the translucency map in the vray2sidedMtl?

Last edited by Richard7666 : 09 September 2011 at 09:20 AM.

09 September 2011
Check your materials trace depth?

Maybe RT has it set higher and overrides the material setting?

Thread Closed share thread