Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #16
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

This is Vray, no FG for me

I just feel mine just looks a bit...like a field of tiny maize? (excuse the lower density at the front, still figuring out LayoutTools)

I think I prefer Kuky's (and by extension, Peter Guthrie's) because of that photo-realism which I prefer to eye-realism. It's probably not quite apples-apples because mine is more noon-day, and shorter.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #17
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

I have a question on applying materials to imported vray proxies:

when you import the proxy, the original material is brought in un-attached to it; the proxy mesh instead has a grey proxy shader. What I have been doing is simply re-applying the imported material to the proxy mesh as you would any other material to any other mesh in your scene.

Is this correct?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:39 AM   #18
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

YOu can try this:.

Have a small Maya ASCII scene set up with the proxy model at 0,0,0. Set-up up all mats in this scene.

Then you can reference in that to your main scene and instance the reference around. Or just import the reference in as an object and instance it around. YOu can set up a library of proxies like this either with Sunday Pipeline or LevelTools.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #19
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

When it comes to vray2sided material, how is everyone assigning the materials to their grass?

I guess it seems that its common, with leaves like Peter Guthries tut, to put in a lighter material at the back and darker material on the front slot.

But I cannot ever seem to achieve realistic trees with this, they all look like they're made of wax and don't even look like the sun is affecting them.

However if I put a lighter material on the front and darker on the back, the sun shines off the leaves and produces a much more realistic effect although I seem to loose the back-lighting. But it looks good:

(Sorry about the colours if they're messed up)

It is quite confusing! Maybe you are supposed to put lighter on back and dark on fron but my proxy normals are flipped!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #20
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

My grass in the updated first post is the Peter Guthrie method, seemed to come out okay.

I actually haven't checked where my normals point, though as the mesh is derived from native Maya paintfx I imagine they're okay.

Were your trees OBJs at any stage? I had issues with transparency etc on OBJs because by default Affects Reflections and Affects Refractions in the mesh's render attributes are unchecked; would this carry over to a vrmesh made from such a mesh?

Last edited by Richard7666 : 08-17-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburger
YOu can try this:.

Have a small Maya ASCII scene set up with the proxy model at 0,0,0. Set-up up all mats in this scene.

Then you can reference in that to your main scene and instance the reference around. Or just import the reference in as an object and instance it around. YOu can set up a library of proxies like this either with Sunday Pipeline or LevelTools.

Sorry I'm a total noob when it comes to referencing.

Do you mean create a VRAY proxy, then import THAT proxy (create>import vray proxy) into the small ascii Maya file, then...I'm not sure.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #22
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Yes:

1) Create a physical .vrmesh file.
2) Create a new blank maya ASCII scene
3) Import the vrmesh file into this maya ASCII scene.
4) Setup shaders and anything else you want.

5) In your master project scene. Import the maya ASCII scene containing your proxy object. You can reference or import, does not matter.

This way you can build up a library of props and you'll always have the original scene to go back to and shaders will never, ever break when instancing around in your master scene.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

Cheers. So basically, I'm referencing the .ma, which in turn is referencing the vrmesh.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #24
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

Hmm, just did a test with some grass. It seems to be quicker to render a scene with standard geometry than to render the same scene with instanced proxies.

Just to clarify though, when applying materials to a vray proxy, can I just apply the material to the proxy mesh directly, or do I have to plug it into the slot in the _vrMeshMaterial that is automatically applied to a vray proxy when you import it?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #25
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

Quite happy now.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
RagingBull
Bellend ^_^

Robot
Matchmoving
London, United Kingdom

Looking good in that shot Richard.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
SePu
Expert

portfolio
Hernan S
Senior 3D / VFX Artist
Sony Entertainment
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to SePu
Hey Richard can u share your workflow? Looking very nice...

Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #28
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

It's basically Peter Guthrie's, adapted to Maya. I'll have a look at my material setup when I'm at the PC, but basically

- patch of PaintFx, pick whatever grass from the Visor suits. Toy with settings, you don't want it perfectly square. With a realistic scene scale, my patches are about 20x20cm/units
- Peter Guthrie's shader setup
- second patch of grass but with a more yellow diffuse texture
- create>vray proxy of each of the two grass patches
- Install layoutTools 2011! (for Maya 2011/2012)
- instance proxies on a plane, details when I'm at PC tomorrow
- assuming you rendered a vrayDirt (ambient occlusion) pass (again, I'll need to check my settings but iirc all I did was add it to the vray render passes in the globals) multiply it on top in post with opacity 80%. I also made a layermask on the vraydirt layer in PS and with a 50% grey brush made random opacity strokes to vary the AO up

Personally I still think it's too saturated and perfectly lush, colour-wise, so I'll be playing with that.

Last edited by Richard7666 : 09-17-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #29
Ekenryd
Bugged
portfolio
Thomas
3d/comp
Stockholm, Sweden

Richard, are you using layouttools for 2012? I´ve wanted to try it but read that it doesn´t work for 2012.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #30
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Looking good Richard!

LayoutTools works fine with 2012 but requires a bit of editing. On the Autodesk blog from steven in the comments there are details in there to get it working.

Thread Closed share thread