THE ULTIMATE MAYA AND MENTAL RAY ARCHVIZ GUIDE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2011   #61
Alex, I'm sorry the publishing side of the book didn't go so well.

But thank you for putting so much effort into this project. I can't imagine how many countless hours you spent on this.

I can't wait to check it out when I get a chance to see it.

Thanks again.
D

Old 06 June 2011   #62
Tupac is still alive!
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.co...showtopic=26993

Old 06 June 2011   #63
First of all sorry for my english, I'm russian. But I want to say a big big big thanks to you, Alex. I've been come across your guide recently and I was really empressed about how big you work is! And it's a pitty for me that you couldn't realize the plan you wanted with Gnomon, but everything that is done - for the better. Don't be upset. Your work wll help many many people to fully understand the mental. And if you want to spread your guide with scenes and etc as much as possible, I'll be able to share it in russian and kazakstan torren trackers such as rutracker.org and kaztorka.org. Hope it will help for more people to know about you and what you've done . And once again: thanks. You're great man.

Last edited by Fomen : 06 June 2011 at 01:24 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #64
Post Going off topic...!

Originally Posted by efecto: Alex, I'm sorry the publishing side of the book didn't go so well.

But thank you for putting so much effort into this project. I can't imagine how many countless hours you spent on this.

I can't wait to check it out when I get a chance to see it.

Thanks again.
D

Thks Daisuke, very appreciated...!

Ash what baffles me is that you had that link ready on your desktop so I guess you relate somehow to him as well, either as a die hard fan or just as an hater...

To avoid going off topic here being this a 3D forum and considering that these are quite sensitive topics, will just share with you the direct link to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupac_Shakur

You might find it quite "ENLIGHTENING"...

Ciao.
Alex

Last edited by withego : 06 June 2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: errata corrige

Old 06 June 2011   #65
I guess I'm not the only one on this but, if the guide is as good as it seems, I'd pay a symbolic price for it without any problems so, at least, you'd be getting something for your work, at least something, not nothing at all. 10 or 20$ maybe?, I'd pay for that, for sure.

But hey, free is great too!

"Donīt trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

Old 06 June 2011   #66
I agree totally with joie. I would also be happy to donate a symbolic figure so that you atleast get something for your hard work.

And i am looking forward to the 16th to see your work, can't wait

Old 06 June 2011   #67
Alex,

Sorry to hear the deal with Gnomon fell through. I am eagerly awaiting the release of your manual.

I think you should seriously considering a paypal donation option for those that can help. I would be one of those that would be more than happy to donate.

Thanks again.

Old 06 June 2011   #68
Just to clearify..., next time, don't be risky, just ask for an amazing 3D model if you need it, just ask for it, you'll get thousands of replies of people ready to let you use their models in a Gnomon DVD (including me!)

Old 06 June 2011   #69
Post Raw 3D models...!

Originally Posted by joie: Just to clearify..., next time, don't be risky, just ask for an amazing 3D model if you need it, just ask for it, you'll get thousands of replies of people ready to let you use their models in a Gnomon DVD (including me!)

Holla Joie first thks a lot for the kind words and for your suggestion... really appreciate, even if in the past we had exchanged a few words online, remember...?

Anyway I often use raw 3D models from Evermotion because they are just great and because you really cannot model from scratch, every single 3d object in an incredible huge project like this one.

Since this project is focused on most of the Maya and Mental Ray lighting, texturing, rendering techniques and workflows, starting from the Maya 2009 release until the Maya 2012 Hotfix 1X64 version.

But as I said many times already, guess you know that every single raw 3D model imported in Maya need to be partially or entirely remodelled, to make it compatible to the evil "BEAST"...

Ciao.
Alex

Last edited by withego : 06 June 2011 at 07:19 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #70
To be honest Withego, I think you should look into other publishing avenues. This doesn't mean you can't proceed with your current plan, but there are many other publishers out there and there is value in your research and work, monetary value. I too would happily donate as much as possible, as this is my field specifically and I have so much more to learn to nail photorealism on a quicker timeline...

...but have you been to a Barnes & Noble lately? There's not much recent material on Maya available, even at the University of Washington Library. You'll find some Maya 6 or 7 books, maybe a 2009 one if you're lucky, and those are basically rehashes of the F1 Help files. Sometimes you'll see another book, but then you look everywhere else on the shelves and every other application has five or six books covering each version! I'm just saying there are other publishers out there, and dealing with Evermotion directly is also possible I would imagine.

Perhaps look into it? Perhaps you already have, but I just hope you don't feel discouraged because one publisher couldn't get their shit together. And even if your research were sold in ebook format, it would also be worth publishing through Amazon or B&N or something! Just some ideas. I'd love to have your research for free, can't say that doesn't appeal to me, but work = pay, and you deserve to be compensated for your energy and time!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 06 June 2011   #71
Hey
Alex

I went through each and every post in this thread ...
It is really great that you are doing so much good for the cg community.
keep up the good work
Cheers and waiting to get my hand on the copy ...

Old 06 June 2011   #72
Post Publishing avenues...

Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: To be honest Withego, I think you should look into other publishing avenues. This doesn't mean you can't proceed with your current plan, but there are many other publishers out there and there is value in your research and work, monetary value. I too would happily donate as much as possible, as this is my field specifically and I have so much more to learn to nail photorealism on a quicker timeline...

...but have you been to a Barnes & Noble lately? There's not much recent material on Maya available, even at the University of Washington Library. You'll find some Maya 6 or 7 books, maybe a 2009 one if you're lucky, and those are basically rehashes of the F1 Help files. Sometimes you'll see another book, but then you look everywhere else on the shelves and every other application has five or six books covering each version! I'm just saying there are other publishers out there, and dealing with Evermotion directly is also possible I would imagine.

Perhaps look into it? Perhaps you already have, but I just hope you don't feel discouraged because one publisher couldn't get their shit together. And even if your research were sold in ebook format, it would also be worth publishing through Amazon or B&N or something! Just some ideas. I'd love to have your research for free, can't say that doesn't appeal to me, but work = pay, and you deserve to be compensated for your energy and time!

Thks Sho I know but apart from being truly exhausted by all the hard work done in the last
few months, I'm Italian and I treasure the values of word and honor most than anything else...

I promised something here on CGTalk back in 2010 and the moment to stand up behind my words, is just arrived...

Apart from Gnomon I didn't even bother to contact other publishers, since that I promised already that if this project will be not be published by Gnomon...

Btw... I had recently a quick exchange of messages with the guys at Digital Tutors, in which I wrote: "I'm still engaged in talks with Gnomon, but you never know...!"

Ciao.
Alex

Last edited by withego : 06 June 2011 at 07:52 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #73
Hehe, I remember well thiego.

I know what you're talking about. I have bought some evermotion models and found that I had to remodel much more than I thought, so, at the end, the benefits of using their models was the same as doing it myself (change evermotion with any other 3d models shop and it's the same BTW).

Old 06 June 2011   #74
Originally Posted by joie: Hehe, I remember well thiego.

I know what you're talking about. I have bought some evermotion models and found that I had to remodel much more than I thought, so, at the end, the benefits of using their models was the same as doing it myself (change evermotion with any other 3d models shop and it's the same BTW).

Holla guys one last thing... Since I always call you with your name, could you please just call me Alex insted of withego?
That is just my nick...!

Peace...

Old 06 June 2011   #75
Well, joie is not my real name also..., but I like it

reply share thread