THE ULTIMATE MAYA AND MENTAL RAY ARCHVIZ GUIDE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2011
Thanks!

Grazie mille, Alex, for posting the photo and the news regarding The Guide Sorry about the delay in giving you thanks, I've been quite busy with a big intercontinental move, and I'm starting to settle in on a very different country and culture. Well, you did the same yourself, so you know what I'm talking about...

Well, now it's up to Gnomon. Any approximate idea of what the price will be? And please, if you can, when it gets published by them announce it in this forum so we your followers can buy it ASAP!

04 April 2011
Post Now it's up to Gnomon...!

Originally Posted by cyrus3v: Hi withego,
any news when this come out? I checked the coming soon page of the gnomoworkshop and nothing.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Tzadi: Grazie mille, Alex, for posting the photo and the news regarding The Guide Sorry about the delay in giving you thanks, I've been quite busy with a big intercontinental move, and I'm starting to settle in on a very different country and culture. Well, you did the same yourself, so you know what I'm talking about...

Well, now it's up to Gnomon. Any approximate idea of what the price will be? And please, if you can, when it gets published by them announce it in this forum so we your followers can buy it ASAP!

Hi Ciro guess Isaac's post just answered your question...!

I was just told that if all the new assets are ok, it should be released in April...
Ciro you might forward your enquiry directly to the guys at Gnomon:

http://www.gnomonschool.com/contact.php
Btw, Isaac thanks for the kind words... and about the price still not sure since that the guys are still testing the assets, or at least I hope so...!

But if the Guide finally will be released by Gnomon, I can assure you that it will be quite affordable...!

Waiting for the release, I'm testing the new features of the Maya 2012 version and I have to say that apart from the very neat Viewport 2.0 feature, the new Mental Ray Render Passes system seems very promising...!

Also many Iray limitations and bugs seems to be fixed but I still cannot confirm, since that I'm still waiting for the Cuda dll's to be used with Maya 2012 in conjunction to the Mental Ray 3.9 version...!

Ciao.
Alex

Last edited by withego : 04 April 2011 at 07:35 AM.

04 April 2011
Thanks withego for the reply. However I got confuse when you refer the link of Gnomon School to contact them. This Ultimate Guide is gonna be a Course or a Dvd?

I'm also trying Maya 2012 and seems amazing, special the Substance Textures

Thanks

Ciro

04 April 2011
Originally Posted by cyrus3v: Thanks withego for the reply. However I got confuse when you refer the link of Gnomon School to contact them. This Ultimate Guide is gonna be a Course or a Dvd?

I'm also trying Maya 2012 and seems amazing, special the Substance Textures

Thanks

Ciro

I got a answer from Gnomon.

They say:

Quote: At this time there is no release date

Let's wait and see if this month the guide goes out.

04 April 2011
Someday, when archaeologists uncover the polluted remains of our society, they will discover this great unpublished tome and lament that it was too bad it was never shared w/the CG world...
;0

04 April 2011
Post Maya in sanskrit means "ILLUSION"...!

Originally Posted by EightBit: Someday, when archaeologists uncover the polluted remains of our society, they will discover this great unpublished tome and lament that it was too bad it was never shared w/the CG world...
;0

Sorry to disappoint you but finally seems that the moment of the release of this Maya "Illusion" Tutorial Guide is approaching fast...

Originally Posted by Gnomon: In terms of the Tutorial Edits... it all looks great... We are giving it a final round of Quality Control on it and trying to get the production plan in place, which we may be able to have in place late next week...

Btw in the due time I created a few more production scenes and assets using the new Maya 2012 version, in conjunction to the new Mental Ray 3.9 "iray" render engine.

As well as a simple Classroom scene for the Tutorial Guide users, to play around with the new Mental Ray 3.9 "Unified Sampling" string options.

Will post the results of these new round of tests using Maya 2012 and MR 3.9 iray soon on CGTalk, but first I will need a couple of days to complete and upload the new Tutorial Guide assets...!

Now the Tutorial Guide is Maya 2012 friendly...

In the previous Maya 2011 version the Mental Ray 3.8 "iray" render engine was still plenty of "bugs", like the mia material "Cutout Opacity" alpha attribute for example... which is fixed now in the new Mental Ray 3.9 "iray" version.

I feel that the Mental Ray 3.9 "iray" version is much more stable, since that I didn't experience one single crash even when rendering (280 mb.) Maya 2012 production scenes with millions of poly's.

When finally Autodesk and Mental Images will implement most of the Mental Ray lighting , rendering and texturing features like for example the miss_fast_skin_maya and the miss_fast_shader_x/x_passes materials...

As well as the Mental Ray Render Passes features, iray in my opinion will be the best choice for the 3D Maya artists working in the Archviz field...!

Will post the pics in the next few days...

Ciao.
Alex

Last edited by withego : 04 April 2011 at 07:17 AM.

04 April 2011
Wow freaking wow! Can't wait!

04 April 2011
Great news whitego

04 April 2011
Good stuff! Just learned about this today while surfing but already I feel like I've been anticipating for 2 years

05 May 2011
Any news?

Thanks

05 May 2011
I will repeat what marcovn said back in 11-10-2010.....VAPORWARE...

05 May 2011
Post Dear Ron...

Originally Posted by RonB: I will repeat what marcovn said back in 11-10-2010.....VAPORWARE...

Hi Ron

Since this kind of bashing done by people like yourself, who actually thinks to own the absolute right to judge somebody else hard work... Without knowing how much efforts I had to put in this outrageously huge project and the reasons behind the prolonged delay in the release... Frankly starts to bother me big time. So just to avoid being too harsh and rude in my reply, I will take my time to calm down and will get back to you as soon as tomorrow...!

Alex

05 May 2011
Quote: I will repeat what marcovn said back in 11-10-2010.....VAPORWARE...

Obviously you don't know what "vapor" or "ware" means. This isn't a piece of software; it's an instructional guide and a study of the software at hand. And I'm pretty certain nobody here needs your negativity Ron; if you have nothing good to say, no news to share, or no helpful comments please refrain in the future.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

06 June 2011
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Obviously you don't know what "vapor" or "ware" means. This isn't a piece of software; it's an instructional guide and a study of the software at hand. And I'm pretty certain nobody here needs your negativity Ron; if you have nothing good to say, no news to share, or no helpful comments please refrain in the future.

I agree. withego take your time. I just ask if there was any news, because at gnomon workshop in the coming soon section there is nothing about this guide.

Thanks

Last edited by cyrus3v : 06 June 2011 at 01:39 PM.

06 June 2011
Post The "VAPORWARE" Tutorial Guide, will be released soon..!

Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Obviously you don't know what "vapor" or "ware" means. This isn't a piece of software; it's an instructional guide and a study of the software at hand. And I'm pretty certain nobody here needs your negativity Ron; if you have nothing good to say, no news to share, or no helpful comments please refrain in the future.

First of all... Sorry for the delay in my reply and thks to Sho and Ciro for their support!

A few lines without checking nor the spelling or the grammar, just to inform you that the guys at Gnomon pulled out at the very last moment from the agreement we had on the Tutorial Guide release...

To avoid incurring in copyright infringement related issues since that to create the Tutorial, I used a few 3D assets from commercial raw 3D models collections by Evermotion, Rocketbox Libraries and Dosh Design.

Even if the copyrighted 3D assets was partially remodelled to make them compatible to Maya and that the Rocketbox Libraries assets, was recently replaced with a couple of highpoly 3d characters created few years ago using Maya Poly, Subd, Nurbs, Fur and Cloth.

Rigged using rigid skin binding with lattice flexors, posed using inverse IK and ready to be animated... I was told by Gnomon that they had to pay large sum of $$$ to distribute the other few copyrighted raw 3D models, so the guys finally decided to call off the publishing of the Guide.

Actually the guys at Gnomon are quite cool since I had the chance to spend some time with them during the recording of the Master Classes 2011 in Hollywood, so from now on I will just refrain posting any further comment or speculation concerning this issue.

Plus since the very start of this huge project I already made up my mind that if for some reason Gnomon will not publish it, I will share it with the Maya and Mental Ray green users for free to avoid them long and painful years spent searching and debugging bugs as well as dealing with the very steep Maya and Mental Ray learning curve.

Guess you know how important values such as respect, word and honor are for Italians or at least for me so I will just stick to the promise made back in July 2010 here on CGTalk and will not even bother to market the Guide, trying desperately to squeeze money out of your pockets.

And even if the Tutorial kept growing and is now more than 5 giga in size as an apologize for keeping you waiting almost 2 years for the release, on the 16 June 2011 I will publish a few compressed and watermarked copies of the main 5 Parts.pdf docs as well as the latest very informative Acrobat Pro X Portfolios.pdf here on CGTalk.

I choosed to publish the compressed and watermarked copies instead of the original docs mostly to test your reactions first, considering that after a lot of announcements finally the Guide was not published by Gnomon which could look pretty much as a personal failure...

Plus in such a materialistic world usually when you get something valuable for free, there is a good chance that you will underestimate the value of it which is perfectly understandable since that this is just about human psychology, but considering the time and efforts that I throw in this project I'm just not going to take it...

Since that in my (not humble at all) opinion, this is maybe one of the most complete and comprehensive Maya and Mental Ray learning experience ever... After the main Autodesk Maya Online Help docs, of course.

Just take it as a "Summer Reading" and if after going through the well over (1000) pages of the main 5 Parts.pdf docs you will find out that this Guide will be useful to spare you long and painful years spent in front of a screen, than this will be for me a great personal achievement and I will just go on to release the whole "shit"...

To conclude, if the Tutorial will get the exposure it deserves I will try to ask some help from the Maya and Mental Ray 3D artists mentioned in the main Intro Credits, to spread the Tutorial Guide all over the net since that they greatly contributed to its creation...

So just tune in here on CGTalk on the 16 which btw is the Birthday Anniversary of Tupac Amaru Shakur (June 16, 1971 September 13, 1996) and this is the main reason why I choosed June the 16, just to pay a little tribute to his legacy even if I'm just a "White Trash"...

Peace,
Alex

Last edited by withego : 06 June 2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Errata Corrige

reply share thread