potter1984
Veteran
portfolio
Richard Jones
N/a
bristol, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand1080
Sounds killer! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Even I'm excited and im still a noob, but know this is one to watch .

Can't wait for the Final.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #17
Tzadi
portfolio
Isaac
Doha, Qatar

Guide

How it is going, Alex? Will Gnomon publish it?

Many thanks

Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #18
marcovn
PRO
Marco
own Company
munich, Germany

vapourware

Old 11-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #19
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Quote:
vapourware

What's vaporware, mental ray? Maya? Both have been released for years and years now.

Are you implying that our friend who's trying to help us all learn and make more money ourselves simply never wrote this guide or did the work which has already been shown? Well that's terribly supportive of you, thanks for chiming in with a totally inappropriate phrase. He's not even writing software. It's a guide tutorial for making better renders. Figure it out, son.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #20
joie
Lexus-friendly

portfolio
JOSE MIGUEL ARAGUES
3D Animatior and TD at www.vortice3d.com
Zaragoza, Spain

Mmmm, I think I don't know what "vapourware" means at all...

"Donīt trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

Old 11-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #21
marcovn
PRO
Marco
own Company
munich, Germany

sorry guys, I was only expressing my frustration about the endless waiting for a product which seems to never be finished. (vaporware = is a word used to describe products, usually computer hardware or software, that were not released on the date announced by their developer, or that were announced months or years before their release. WIKIPEDIA)

No bad intention meant to Alex Sandri, but he is announcing his tutorial for about a year now ( http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...69&page=1&pp=15).

There once was a german guy with a website announcing THE mr-tutorial guide par excellence and you could already pay for preorder.... ....after 2 years of announcement, everything disappears (and the money too). This isn't the case here - I know, BUT in my experience, they will be 10 new reasons coming up for not making it possible to finish the book/onlinetutorial/gnomonDVD. If not, I will be the first guy, who buy this tut!

best wishes,
Marco

Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #22
withego
Alex Sandri

portfolio
Alex Sandri
3D Autodesk Maya and Mental Ray Artist, Tutor and Beta Tester.
The Ultimate Autodesk Maya And Nvidia Mental Ray Guide
Bangkok, Thailand

Send a message via ICQ to withego Send a message via MSN to withego Send a message via Yahoo to withego
Post vaporware

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcovn
sorry guys, I was only expressing my frustration about the endless waiting for a product which seems to never be finished. (vaporware = is a word used to describe products, usually computer hardware or software, that were not released on the date announced by their developer, or that were announced months or years before their release. WIKIPEDIA)

No bad intention meant to Alex Sandri, but he is announcing his tutorial for about a year now ( http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...69&page=1&pp=15).

There once was a german guy with a website announcing THE mr-tutorial guide par excellence and you could already pay for preorder.... ....after 2 years of announcement, everything disappears (and the money too). This isn't the case here - I know, BUT in my experience, they will be 10 new reasons coming up for not making it possible to finish the book/onlinetutorial/gnomonDVD. If not, I will be the first guy, who buy this tut!

best wishes,
Marco

Marco before to use terms like "vaporware", please think twice since somebody including myself could think you are calling me a Cheater...!

Plus I'm Italian and for us or at least for me, honor is everything and once you spend your word on something, you will do anything to keep up with your promise.

Anyway understand your frustration, since I announced the Tutorial Guide almost an year ago..!

I will not repeat myself and will just let you know, that I had a chat with Alex a few days ago.

If nothing goes wrong we shoud meet early in December, to discuss the release and to record a general introduction.

I dont think we will record specific parts of the Guide, since it almost reached the 800 pages tag.

I worked my ass off for almost 2 years now, between brief civil wars and now serious floods here in Thai, to create this baby...

Worked so hard that my brain almost melted down..!

So please show some respect for my efforts, instead of posting useless and "poisonous" comments, ok Marco...?

Ciao... and keep patient a bit more guys, since that I invested the time spent waiting for the release, refining and adding sections on sections.

Hopefully your patience will be rewarded, with the most comprehensive Maya and Mental Ray Tutorial Guide ever created.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
Reed5point0
Frequenter
Reed J Culver
Midland, USA

You can find me patiently waiting in the back of the room Withego.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and from the looks of it, this guide will be worth it.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #24
marcovn
PRO
Marco
own Company
munich, Germany

Ciao Alex,

sorry for all that bad noise I made. I once wrote a book about a software too (imagine 2.0 on amiga) and know how much work it is and if I had no contract with a deadline I probably would give it up because the writing seems to never end.

BTW: hey, I'm italian too (originated from florence :-) )!

So, finish your big project - I wish you much as much energy as you need!

See you,
Marco

Old 12-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #25
phobos24
portfolio
aniket
mumbai, India

This is just too awesome.......i can't wait for it to come out....surely buying this one

Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #26
Bitter
Also Highly Corrosive

David Fer Real
Fixer of things
USA

Very nice images.

Curious to see how long these would take to render. I don't see the settings you use but I notice all of the features for indirect lighting in a few images are noted as being used. That might be a bit of overkill for some things.

Currently GI, FG, and IP each need their own map which depending on their density can increase your memory usage significantly. This is one of the drawbacks of caching as opposed to brute force rendering.

However, the ends results look good regardless of method.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #27
TearGasJazz
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Cambrand
Level / 3D Artist
DICE
Stockholm, Sweden

When this is out and available, shout it from the freaking rooftops!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #28
withego
Alex Sandri

portfolio
Alex Sandri
3D Autodesk Maya and Mental Ray Artist, Tutor and Beta Tester.
The Ultimate Autodesk Maya And Nvidia Mental Ray Guide
Bangkok, Thailand

Send a message via ICQ to withego Send a message via MSN to withego Send a message via Yahoo to withego
Post The freaking rooftops of LA...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightweight
When this is out and available, shout it from the freaking rooftops!

Lightweight or Heavyweight should I say, considering the tone of your post...! You should forward your inquiry directly to the Gnomonworkshop, since that I went to their premises in Hollywood back in December to record the Master Classes 2011...!

The Tutorial is being tested by the guys at Gnomon and Alex promised me that should be released, after the completion of the Master Classes 2011 event...!

So tune in and hopefully you will hear something... shouted out from the rooftops of LA soon...!

Apart from jokes the main problem is that being this Tutorial Guide so huge, Gnomon need to test it throughout before to release it to make sure that every asset does work as expected...!

Since the release of the new Maya 2012 version is approaching soon, I'm also waiting and once the Master Classes are over hope the Guide will finally be released...!

In the due time... why you don't check the "Environment Lighting & Progressive Rendering" Master Class, which is based on PART5 of the "THE ULTIMATE MAYA & MR ARCHVIZ GUIDE".

http://www.gnomonschool.com/master/2011/

Ciao.
Alex

Last edited by withego : 02-15-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #29
TearGasJazz
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Cambrand
Level / 3D Artist
DICE
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by withego
Since the release of the new Maya 2012 version is approaching soon, I'm also waiting and once the Master Classes are over hope the Guide will finally be released...!

Regarding Maya 2012, which for all I know should be called "Maya 2012 - Doomsday Edition", do you/anyone know any release date? I couldn't manage to find anything about it during my search.

Will also check those Master Classes out!

Regards

Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #30
Bitter
Also Highly Corrosive

David Fer Real
Fixer of things
USA

Maya 2011 was announced in March and released in April of last year I think.

2012 may be a similar timetable.

reply share thread