CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya > Maya Rendering
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #61
royterrrr
Expert

portfolio
Papillon Papillon
Lighting & Environment Artist
Square Enix
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostao_wayne
because normally the leaf color with back light is almost the same that the color of the same leaf with front light, not totally true, specie by especie and case by case, but for example it's true for a maple.
If you consider a transparency about 0.25, a white transparency color, a translucency value of 1 and the same map use for the color, maped into the translucency color slot, the translucency intensity will be about 0.25 of the total intensity in the other side, and i want almost the same intensity, for that reason i use a multiply node.

For some species i use a reflection map, but desaturated and connected to the reflectivity value, then i tune the reflection color with a plane color.

but that's not necessary if you are already using a 4 time brighter version of your diffuse textures.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #62
tostao_wayne
Know-it-All
Roberto Fdez. de Gamboa
CG Artist
IDOM
Bilbao, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by royterr
but that's not necessary if you are already using a 4 time brighter version of your diffuse textures.

yes royter, your method is basically the same. i prefer to use a multiply node for not to need an extra image file.

Another thing more, i was wrong about to use a 32 bit image file. it's better to use a rgb 24 bit file for the color and translucence and another 2 bit image for the cutout opacity, because you need to set the filter to 0 for the 2 bit image and not for the RGB one.

If you use a cutout opacity map with filter greather than 0 you will notice a lot of artifacts in the alpha channel of the render.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #63
royterrrr
Expert

portfolio
Papillon Papillon
Square Enix
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostao_wayne
yes royter, your method is basically the same. i prefer to use a multiply node for not to need an extra image file.

Another thing more, i was wrong about to use a 32 bit image file. it's better to use a rgb 24 bit file for the color and translucence and another 2 bit image for the cutout opacity, because you need to set the filter to 0 for the 2 bit image and not for the RGB one.

If you use a cutout opacity map with filter greather than 0 you will notice a lot of artifacts in the alpha channel of the render.

i personaly use mimap filtering for all my textures to avoid temporal and sptial aliasing.
as for the filter value number in the effects section it's only for the maya software

Old 09-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #64
igi
Veteran

portfolio
Igor Slapar
Kamnik, Slovenia

Send a message via MSN to igi
thank you tostao_wayne, i rebuilt my network and results are excellent now. It seems i did something wrong previusly.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #65
tostao_wayne
Know-it-All
Roberto Fdez. de Gamboa
CG Artist
IDOM
Bilbao, España

Quote:
i personaly use mimap filtering for all my textures to avoid temporal and sptial aliasing.
as for the filter value number in the effects section it's only for the maya software

i will try it royterr, thankx

Old 09-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #66
JayHoo
Know-it-All
J. H.
Oldenburg and Munich, Germany

Mipmap is way to go. But try setting the filter size under the effects tab to 0.5. It sharpens the texture.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #67
anevsky
medicated

portfolio
omer breiner
Israel

Quote:

umm in 2009 anyways - it does effect the mental ray result when you change the filter setting under effects.

Great thread by the way

Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #68
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Forest and Tree placement

Kinda OT regarding rendering, but I've been using this wonderful script to aid in populating my forests and it works pretty well. A few limitations, but basically it's a Python script that emulates (and one-ups) Vue's Ecosystems inside Maya. I didn't think it needed a new thread since it relates to forests in Maya.

spPaint3d by spaviot

Works well in instancing mode too. Painting hundreds of trees from four different source trees worked like a charm. Hope this helps someone else!

Here's a quicky. Instancing appears to be working very well, too. 700MB at rendertime RAM usage. My materials aren't as nice looking as the rest of yours, but it seems like the script is working even with all the materials intact. ImageShack just loves demolishing my large .jpg files, so I apologize for the low quality render...

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Last edited by InfernalDarkness : 09-24-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Update

Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #69
anevsky
medicated

portfolio
omer breiner
Israel

Nice Infernal - Thanks for that one.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #70
techmage
living in maya

portfolio
Ryan
USA

thanks for the tip infernaldarkness, this script is incredible. Beats the hell out of that shitty 3ds max scatter script

Old 09-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #71
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Don't thank me, thank the creator... of the script, or of the Universe itself, I guess! I've been looking for something similar since I gave up on Bryce, back in 2004 (day 1 with Maya, for me), and can't really wrap my head around MEL other than basic commands... Still gonna play with this script and with all these nice new material and rendering techniques and see if I can return to some level of artistic creativity again. I hope to see more awesome landscape renders from everyone else in the future, too!

Anyone have any problems with instancing / RAM efficiency with this script at all? I was at first, then realized once you click the "Duplicate" button, it switches to "Instancing" instead. Seems to be working now, and keeping RAM usage down to a similar level as if I were just rendering one each of my source plants.

I don't know how to use mi_binaryproxy with this script though... Any insight into how that might work?

Old 09-26-2009, 03:52 AM   #72
royterrrr
Expert

portfolio
Papillon Papillon
Square Enix
Montreal, Canada

does this script come with descent tree models? or you have to load your own?
because i have never seen tree models that are convincing like the one Alessandro used with realistic branch/twigs/leaves positioning

Old 09-26-2009, 04:25 AM   #73
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

No, it doesn't come with any models. It's just a geometry painting script; I think it was intended for general use, not specifically for vegetation. I just make my own in Maya or Onyx, either using PFX as a base or sometimes real-world trees I have seen or known. I have some weird tree with orange berries in my backyard, so I took some photos and made this one out of a few Onyx trees which were tweaked out:

And here's a pretty standard Onyx tree; I would like more vegetation on them, but that just takes some work and some Maya-tweaking:

I think Alessandro did some amazing things with leaves facing the sky, as well as the obvious high quality of those legendary renders. Not quite there, myself.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:29 AM   #74
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Onyx trees are fantastic. If you want to see some really good looking Onyx tree's theres always Alex Roman's work:

http://thirdseventh.cgsociety.org/gallery/573528/

Old 09-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #75
royterrrr
Expert

portfolio
Papillon Papillon
Square Enix
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburger
Onyx trees are fantastic. If you want to see some really good looking Onyx tree's theres always Alex Roman's work:

http://thirdseventh.cgsociety.org/gallery/573528/

is there any demo? or downoadable tree sample (OBJ,max,3ds,mb,fbx..)?
i believe in trying before bying

reply share thread