Expert
Roberto Fdez. de Gamboa
CG Artist
IDOM
Bilbao, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiryha
Hi, tostao_wayne!
Nice renders! Can you describe traslucency snd transparancy (if used) settings for leaves?
Thx

yes, all of them mia_material_x

the same map used for the color slot is conected to the translucency color slot via a multiply utility node to multyply it's intensity by 4 - 5. deppending on the species
Translucency weight 1.

Refraction color set to white.
Transparency set to .25 - .35 depending on the species.

And.... you need to use a bump map or the translucency don't work properly (you can tune the bump value to low if you don't have a good map for it, but you need a bump map)

and a mia_exposure_photographic

Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #47
kiryha
Expert

portfolio
Kiryha Krysko
3D artist
Ukraine

Send a message via ICQ to kiryha
Thanks, i didn`t even guess about bump!
Does IOR metter?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #48
tostao_wayne
Expert
Roberto Fdez. de Gamboa
CG Artist
IDOM
Bilbao, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiryha
Thanks, i didn`t even guess about bump!
Does IOR metter?

yes, 1.4, but they are thin walled

Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #49
ytsejam1976
Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Dallara Engineering at Simulator
Italy

Good job tostao.
One thing. If you connect a map on translucency, this increase the render time. But not great problem if you want.

anyway, good threes.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #50
tostao_wayne
Expert
Roberto Fdez. de Gamboa
CG Artist
IDOM
Bilbao, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam1976
Good job tostao.
One thing. If you connect a map on translucency, this increase the render time. But not great problem if you want.

anyway, good threes.

i didn't knew it, the render time has been 35 min. on a dual quadcore.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #51
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

not bad at all, impressive renders!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #52
JayHoo
Know-it-All
J. H.
Oldenburg and Munich, Germany

What have you used for the grass? Mia shader with translucency too? I have tried a leaf shader too a while ago where i also set values for fore- and background of the leaves with the help of a condition node.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #53
tostao_wayne
Expert
Roberto Fdez. de Gamboa
CG Artist
IDOM
Bilbao, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHoo
What have you used for the grass? Mia shader with translucency too? I have tried a leaf shader too a while ago where i also set values for fore- and background of the leaves with the help of a condition node.

thakx hamburger, i will try to do some more with it, like a camera travel and....

now i'm playing with ncloth to put some leaves on the floor in a "natural" look

JayHoo, yes, its a mia_material_x with translucency too, IMO the most important thing for a leaf/grass shader is that it must to work well with back light

Old 09-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #54
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Thanks a lot for posting all this help, everyone. Been struggling to "replace" Vue as an art tool in my toolbox, and of course Maya is much more precise and accurate and easy to work with, especially in 64-bit. But I just couldn't get my plants to look good with mental ray, and I tried many things.

Been working on a personal project for far too long (over a year) and ditched it several times from Vue's instabilities. Last night after reading this thread I switched all my plants out to instances, and replaced my previous shader networks with mia_x networks. The difference is night and day!

Mia_x materials and instances on the left, Maya blinns/phongs and duplicates on the right. This is just a background section of my scene, and granted the sky on the right isn't helping the render, the plants all look much more vivid and lifelike. Using Onyx Trees and PFX. I'm not happy with the Onyx Trees and will swap them out in time, but the GOOD NEWS is, I can actually populate my scene with mid-poly and high-poly geometry now! And it's not dense enough for my tastes (the foliage of the trees I'm using), but the leaves are looking much better to my eyes now. Still needs lots of tweaking, but there is progress, and after a year fighting Vue to make this scene I'm excited to be getting anywhere.

Thanks again for the help and ideas.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 09-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #55
iduna79
3D Artist
portfolio
HJ
Lighting&Rendering
NY, United%2BStates

tostao_wayne, it looks like you've found the way. We've been fighting with this tree issue the last few weeks back at the office. We were almost there when the deadline suddenly fronted us.

The grass, are they particle instances?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #56
tostao_wayne
Expert
Roberto Fdez. de Gamboa
CG Artist
IDOM
Bilbao, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by iduna79
tostao_wayne, it looks like you've found the way. We've been fighting with this tree issue the last few weeks back at the office. We were almost there when the deadline suddenly fronted us.

The grass, are they particle instances?

no, the grass are paintFX, just only a small part 35 x 35 cm. instanced with the paint script tool

over the surface.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #57
MaxL
Frequenter

Max Liani
Lighting Supervisor
Animal Logic
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostao_wayne
here the last test, 7 species of trees, some scrubs, polygonal grass, about 75.000.000.000 triangles.

Memory ussage from batch render.... under 3 Gb.

Cool indeed. How long did it take to render. What are you rendering on?
It looks a bit noisy, like low AA (just as I'm asking about rendertime). Otherwise very nice image.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #58
tostao_wayne
Expert
Roberto Fdez. de Gamboa
CG Artist
IDOM
Bilbao, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL
Cool indeed. How long did it take to render. What are you rendering on?
It looks a bit noisy, like low AA (just as I'm asking about rendertime). Otherwise very nice image.

yes it's a bit noisy, the AA is very low: adaptive sampling, max sample Level 1, Box 1, 1.

render time about 35 min. in an intel xeon 3.00 ghz dual quadcore.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #59
igi
Veteran

portfolio
Igor Slapar
Kamnik, Slovenia

Send a message via MSN to igi
one question tostao_wayne:

why are you using such high multiplier on translucency texture? My leaves are much too bright because of that. I must be doing something wrong..
And one more thing: do you use texture for reflection color? I found out render is much more pleasing if I do.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #60
tostao_wayne
Expert
Roberto Fdez. de Gamboa
CG Artist
IDOM
Bilbao, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by igi
one question tostao_wayne:

why are you using such high multiplier on translucency texture? My leaves are much too bright because of that. I must be doing something wrong..
And one more thing: do you use texture for reflection color? I found out render is much more pleasing if I do.

because normally the leaf color with back light is almost the same that the color of the same leaf with front light, not totally true, specie by especie and case by case, but for example it's true for a maple.
If you consider a transparency about 0.25, a white transparency color, a translucency value of 1 and the same map use for the color, maped into the translucency color slot, the translucency intensity will be about 0.25 of the total intensity in the other side, and i want almost the same intensity, for that reason i use a multiply node.

For some species i use a reflection map, but desaturated and connected to the reflectivity value, then i tune the reflection color with a plane color.

reply share thread