Forests in maya mental ray.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 09 September 2009   #31
I've heard that extra geometry is not necessarily going to make the renderer slower as much as you'd expect compared to using cutout_opactiy, this is certainly true for final gather calculations. I think this would be an interesting test.

Old 09 September 2009   #32
Originally Posted by tostao_wayne: yes, but only one material for each asembly, and not one for the trunk and one for each group of leaves

Thats right. It is exactly like when you are using mip_binary_proxy. If you want to use 6 different materials you have to use 6 placeholders for your geo (trunk, branch, leaves etc.).

Old 09 September 2009   #33
Originally Posted by Hamburger: I've heard that extra geometry is not necessarily going to make the renderer slower as much as you'd expect compared to using cutout_opactiy, this is certainly true for final gather calculations. I think this would be an interesting test.

probably, but to change 200.000 leaves in a tree is an imposible work, have you seen how many time takes to maya separate an object in 200.000 separate objects.... simply, it can't

maya and the objects stack arenīt good friends.

here you have some images, they need a lot of work, but are good examples.

Old 09 September 2009   #34
tostao_wayne your renders look great.
finally we are getting somwhere.

as a side note: what is the difference between mib_proxy and mib_binary_proxy?
is there a tutorial on how to use them besides the maya documentation?

Old 09 September 2009   #35
Originally Posted by royterr: tostao_wayne your renders look great.
finally we are getting somwhere.

as a side note: what is the difference between mib_proxy and mib_binary_proxy?
is there a tutorial on how to use them besides the maya documentation?

is my error, i have written kickly,(and my english is not as good as i would like) and i have eat "binary"

for the moment i'm ussing only instances, All goes well until you close the file, them when you reopen it, it takes about 30 minutes to do again all the instances.
Probably i must to change to mip_binary_proxies, but is a lot of work to convert all my tree's lybrary

but for the moment all OK, ia have now all the trees and about 10.000 pieces of grass each one about 12.000 triangles, and the render goes fine.

memory ussage under 8 gb.

i will go trying to get a crash.

Old 09 September 2009   #36
Roberto, Are those trees PFX trees or something else?, they look fantastic.

The problem with instances is the time needed for MAYA to open the files..., proxies are the way to go I guess.

"Donīt trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

Old 09 September 2009   #37
Originally Posted by joie: Roberto, Are those trees PFX trees or something else?, they look fantastic.

The problem with instances is the time needed for MAYA to open the files..., proxies are the way to go I guess.

thkx Miguel Angel, no they are not PFX, they are 3d models for 3dMax from evermotion, tunned and reshaded to looks well, all the materials are mia_materials, all the textures are scanned inhouse and the bark has been done with photos and tunned.

here you have the las render, to see the traslucency and the bark detail

greetings

Rob.

Old 09 September 2009   #38
OK, thank's for the info Roberto.

I was doing some tests but I think this BSP2 thing doesn't work properly with 2008 ext2 because my computer freezed every time I rendered my trees. With 2009 it works like a charm and it only loads one tree in memmory.

Thank's.

"Donīt trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

Old 09 September 2009   #39
Originally Posted by joie: OK, thank's for the info Roberto.

I was doing some tests but I think this BSP2 thing doesn't work properly with 2008 ext2 because my computer freezed every time I rendered my trees. With 2009 it works like a charm and it only loads one tree in memmory.

Thank's.

2009 had issues for me with BSP2

2010 is the only version that I found mib_binaryproxy and BSP2 work together without issues

Old 09 September 2009   #40
Originally Posted by tostao_wayne: thkx Miguel Angel, no they are not PFX, they are 3d models for 3dMax from evermotion, tunned and reshaded to looks well, all the materials are mia_materials, all the textures are scanned inhouse and the bark has been done with photos and tunned.

here you have the las render, to see the traslucency and the bark detail

greetings

Rob.

When you are instancing the proxy mesh around, how do you hook the mib_binaryproxy into all the geometry shader slots? Do you do it manually or is there some other way?

Old 09 September 2009   #41
Originally Posted by rygoody: When you are instancing the proxy mesh around, how do you hook the mib_binaryproxy into all the geometry shader slots? Do you do it manually or is there some other way?

duplicate the objects like a copy (not instance) with the duplicate input conection checked.

Old 09 September 2009   #42
Originally Posted by tostao_wayne: duplicate the objects like a copy (not instance) with the duplicate input conection checked.

I think you should be doing it as instances. To mass conect the binary proxy node to your instances you could use this script:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...nnection-editor

Old 09 September 2009   #43
Originally Posted by Hamburger: I think you should be doing it as instances. To mass conect the binary proxy node to your instances you could use this script:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...nnection-editor

thkx Hamburger, i'll try it

Old 09 September 2009   #44
here the last test, 7 species of trees, some scrubs, polygonal grass, about 75.000.000.000 triangles.

Memory ussage from batch render.... under 3 Gb.

Old 09 September 2009   #45
Hi, tostao_wayne!
Nice renders! Can you describe traslucency snd transparancy (if used) settings for leaves?
Thx

reply share thread