Forests in maya mental ray.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2009
Could someone tell me aporiximatly how many triangles could i render by using mr proxys/BSP2/raytrace on a 64 bit machine with 12 gb of Ram (regradless of the quad core processor) ?

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by royterr: Could someone tell me aporiximatly how many triangles could i render by using mr proxys/BSP2/raytrace on a 64 bit machine with 12 gb of Ram (regradless of the quad core processor) ?

3000 500k trees were only using up about 300-400 mb of RAM.

So as a very rough approximation you could say maybe 80,000 500k trees. Just one tree. Nothing else

But getting to that level, I think you might run into a mental ray bug before you run into an actual memory limit.

09 September 2009
yep in my previous post the people from itoosoft have tested mental ray

Quote:
We have found problems in scenes using above 100.000k trees of 500.000k triangles each one (that really is a lot).

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by rygoody: Sir. Can I call you Jesus.

I've been banging my head on the desk for a month trying to get mass amounts of mib_proxies to render, thinking it's the BSP data that shoots it through the roof. But it's the scanline rendering that shoots it through the roof.

Turning off scanline my render went from 5 gb to 500 mb !

I had no idea, why doesn't autodesk document this shit!?

Thank you very much.

not at all rygoody, it has been a headache for me too during the last 3 months.

thanks for do the test with assemblies, i didn't like the assemblies, they only can handle the original shaders that where assigned during creation, with instances you can change individually the shader of each trunk or leaves.

i have done a test with diferent models of trees and i have notice that the total number don't grow so much the memory ussage, the mater is the number of diferent trees, here you have a test with 5.000 trees (instances) from 5 models, the total polycount was about 4.500.000.000 and the memory ussage, interface included, was always under 8gb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forest_test.jpg (85.1 KB, 1455 views)
File Type: jpg forest_test_detail.jpg (86.1 KB, 1493 views)

Last edited by tostao_wayne : 09 September 2009 at 08:07 AM.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by rygoody: Sir. Can I call you Jesus.

I've been banging my head on the desk for a month trying to get mass amounts of mib_proxies to render, thinking it's the BSP data that shoots it through the roof. But it's the scanline rendering that shoots it through the roof.

Turning off scanline my render went from 5 gb to 500 mb !

Thank you very much.

Well that's why we have Jeff
http://mrmaterials.com/jeffs-blog/5...mr-proxies.html

09 September 2009
I think obviously.
BSP2 was born for instance object and for render mip_binary, that work to charge on the disk or instance, you must set the bsp2 to render it. I'm not technically mental ray in all, but this is an knowed issue. Notice for example the textures placement error, if you use mip_binary with scanline. ANyway, scanline not supported instance and binary proxy.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by tostao_wayne:
they only can handle the original shaders that where assigned during creation, with instances you can change individually the shader of each trunk or leaves.

I think if you deselect the "export material assignment" options in the export menu you can assign other materials to the asembly placeholder.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by rygoody: Turning off scanline my render went from 5 gb to 500 mb !

This is just one of the inherent benefits of raytracing. You only need to load the mesh into memory once to trace against.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by JayHoo: I think if you deselect the "export material assignment" options in the export menu you can assign other materials to the asembly placeholder.

yes, but only one material for each asembly, and not one for the trunk and one for each group of leaves

09 September 2009
That's some serious render tostao_wayne, I'm at least impressed. I'm still fighting with mr trying to put grass with proxy of converted paint effects around a house. =/

I think a lot of things have been said around proxy, instance etc... but if you or someone else would be kind enough to explain step by step how to duplicate trees or grass and change the mr settings (bsp scanline and everything else) to render something nice with limited memory (4gb only ^^) and still have control over your material like you said, I think a lot of people would be pleased.

Well, thanks for your knowledge and advices everyone.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by Damabiah: That's some serious render tostao_wayne, I'm at least impressed. I'm still fighting with mr trying to put grass with proxy of converted paint effects around a house. =/

I think a lot of things have been said around proxy, instance etc... but if you or someone else would be kind enough to explain step by step how to duplicate trees or grass and change the mr settings (bsp scanline and everything else) to render something nice with limited memory (4gb only ^^) and still have control over your material like you said, I think a lot of people would be pleased.

Well, thanks for your knowledge and advices everyone.

Thanks Damabiah,

First of all, to take advantage of the instances or proxyes, and to be able to render them, you must to change two things on the Render Settings panel:

1.-under the "Features" tab you must to change the "Primary Renderer" from "Scanline" to "Raytracing"
2.-under the "Quality" tab, inside the "Raytracing" section you will find a subsection called "Acceleration", change the Acceleration Method from "Regular BSP" to "BSP2"

now you are able to render instances or mip_binaryproxies with a "minimum" memory ussage

if you have only 4 gb of ram i will suggest you to use mip_binaryproxies, because they are loaded into memory only at render time.

to know how to use mip_binaryproxies look at this threat:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...mip_binaryproxy

if you want to use instances, the method is easy:

Select the object you want to instance and in the Duplicate Special Option Panel change from "Copy" to "Instance", i would sugest you to change the object display to Bounding box, for not charge the interface.

if you want to use mip_binaryproxies, you must to duplicate like a "copy" with "duplicate input connections" if you don't want to reconect manually all the proxyes

for the rest of the tedious work, i have written some scripts with interface to project a cloud of locators over a terrain surface, to convert "ramdonly" these clouds to diferent models of trees, and to change randonly theirs rotation, location and scale. some more scripts to select ramdonly the leaves and to change their shader ....

i didn't like tedius work (MEL is the superhero of the lazy people)

Last edited by tostao_wayne : 09 September 2009 at 10:23 AM.

09 September 2009
Thank you, that was helpful.
Just have to do nice leaf shaders now...

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by Damabiah: Thank you, that was helpful.
Just have to do nice leaf shaders now...

try ussing mia_material_x, with translucency.

09 September 2009
nice test tostao_wayne, can you tell me if those shaders are using cutout opacity?

It would be interesting to see rendering time differences between modelled leaves without transparency and planes using cutout opacity.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by Hamburger: nice test tostao_wayne, can you tell me if those shaders are using cutout opacity?

It would be interesting to see rendering time differences between modelled leaves without transparency and planes using cutout opacity.

yes, all of them uses cutout opacity, is very heavy to model an oak leaf, to many polygons for the interface.

in a while i will put some examples more, about the cutout opacity, the translucency... i'm looking for a web site to put my images

reply share thread