mia_material for realistic leaves

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by yoshi95: so again if my leaf material is, say 0.6 reflective, 1.0 transparent, 1.0 translucent, this means only 40% of the light is coming through the material? and that the diffuse component is completely ignored.....which is mathematically correct, not sure bout physically correct, without truly using SSS......but simply not bright enough to be realistic looking...

i'm not totally sure, but the transparency of the object is determined only by the transparency value and the angle between the camera and the surface and the BRDF, the reflectivity is more or less an aditive proces, so don't take it in acount.

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by tostao_wayne: because the translucency only acts with backlight, so when the leaf is in a front light situation it is almost opaque. the translucency has a value near to 0 * 4 = near to 0. in the link that i have posted the tree has always a translucency map value of 4, but in the front light situation, it has almost no translucency.

i have difficulty understanding this.
whats the main difference between transparancy1/ no sss mltiplier and transparancy 0.25/sss 4 multiplier?

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by royterr: i have difficulty understanding this.
whats the main difference between transparancy1/ no sss mltiplier and transparancy 0.25/sss 4 multiplier?

With transparency 1 -> leaves totally transparent -> almost flat foliage
with transparency .25 -> leaves not totally transparent -> volume foliage

but... you want a translucency intensity of 1 (near to the color that the leaf has with front light), so the only way to get this is to use a multyplier to increase the value of the translucence when the transparency is set to .25

the problem is that translucency and transparency must to be independent channels, but in mia_material, the intensity of the translucence is controled by the amount of transparency.

an example: the human skin is totally opaque but has translucence.

Last edited by tostao_wayne : 01 January 2010 at 06:06 PM.

01 January 2010
here r my low quality test renders with the translucency multiplier.....with 1 mia_materil, not 2 sided shader

with multiplier:

without:

it s an improvement......maybe denser grass and better trees....

01 January 2010
Another thing that's really important is to have more than 1 leaf type per tree! (ie three leaf shaders per tree)

Not 100% necessary....but if you don't (unfortunately I didn't with this rendering test I did) you can tell each tree individually and it is not as realistic!

I'm still interested in Alessandro's leaf shader workflow!

Last edited by Hamburger : 01 January 2010 at 11:03 AM.

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by yoshi95: here r my low quality test renders with the translucency multiplier.....with 1 mia_materil, not 2 sided shader

with multiplier:

without:

it s an improvement......maybe denser grass and better trees....

i like how it looks with multiplier, are you ussing mia_exposure_protographic?? if not, try it

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by Hamburger: Another thing that's really important is to have more than 1 leaf type per tree! (ie three leaf shaders per tree)

Not 100% necessary....but if you don't (unfortunately I didn't with this rendering test I did) you can tell each tree individually and it is not as realistic!

I'm still interested in Alessandro's leaf shader workflow!

impresive Hamburger, i like it

totally agree with you, its really important to have more than 1 leaf type per tree, one solution for it is to use some stuco nodes and plug diferent shaders in each channel.

i'm interested too in Alessandro's leaf shader workflow

01 January 2010
Don't know if you're using Onyx for your trees, but if so you can specify how many different leaf objects you need in the export dialogue. This makes texturing much easier, and I usually try to use at least two different leaves as well, if not more for foreground trees.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

01 January 2010
I have a noob question
where do you plug the multiply node into the mia material translucency options. is it the color or the weight?

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by JohnPetrucci: I have a noob question
where do you plug the multiply node into the mia material translucency options. is it the color or the weight?

the color, the weight always to 1.

02 February 2010
in the other thread u posted ur leaf textures, i m wondering how did u get the leaf to look very diffuse lit.

all the leaf texture i found from google has specular highlights, which i dont really want.

on a 2nd look are your leaf texture hand painted?

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by yoshi95: in the other thread u posted ur leaf textures, i m wondering how did u get the leaf to look very diffuse lit.

all the leaf texture i found from google has specular highlights, which i dont really want.

they are scanned, with a white background (some A4 papers (4 or 5)), but without to close the scanner.
The intention was to get a more or less plain leaf but not totally plain.

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by yoshi95: in the other thread u posted ur leaf textures, i m wondering how did u get the leaf to look very diffuse lit.

just hand paint them man, it will look a lot better and you can actually put detail where you want to.
and if you're not good at painting then there're a few photoshop filters that flatten the color, I think it's called High pass or something like that.

02 February 2010
i will probably end up hand painting them, since i dont have a scanner, and it s hard to find several different leaves that are front facing and diffuse lit online.

so back to the texturing part........the mib_twosided shader, here r my thots.....i dunno which way is better in terms of realism/speed

config1 (it seems i can only do this in maya, i cant plugin a mia_material in the top/btm slot in max, cuz it s a map):
mib_twosided shader:
top --> mia_material for top leaf side ( includes top diffuse, bump, translucency, reflectance map)
bottom --> mia_material for bottom leaf side ( includes btm diffuse, bump, translucency, reflectance map)

config2:
mia_material:
diffuse: mib_twosided with top/btm img
reflection: mib_twosided with top/btm img
etc....

sounds like i m stuck with option 2 in max

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by yoshi95: i will probably end up hand painting them, since i dont have a scanner, and it s hard to find several different leaves that are front facing and diffuse lit online.

so back to the texturing part........the mib_twosided shader, here r my thots.....i dunno which way is better in terms of realism/speed

config1 (it seems i can only do this in maya, i cant plugin a mia_material in the top/btm slot in max, cuz it s a map):
mib_twosided shader:
top --> mia_material for top leaf side ( includes top diffuse, bump, translucency, reflectance map)
bottom --> mia_material for bottom leaf side ( includes btm diffuse, bump, translucency, reflectance map)

config2:
mia_material:
diffuse: mib_twosided with top/btm img
reflection: mib_twosided with top/btm img
etc....

sounds like i m stuck with option 2 in max

if you use the second method you will must to use a map for every value that change form one side to the other, from my point of view too much maps, and a very confuse shader network

reply share thread