sIBL_GUI For Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by danlefeb: Wow, this looks awesome. I can't wait to get some free time to play with this! Thank you for your work on this Thomas!

Thanks !

Leif : I got something for you

RenderMan For Maya Template !

0.9 so it's beta, have fun !

KS

08 August 2009
Thank you Kel Solaar for your amazing setup!!! I have a few questions, I am using the GUI version to choose the hdri image then selecting which renderer in the other tab I'd like to use. Once done I output the script then load it via Maya, is this the correct usage? And my next question would be I notice that a plane is put in the scene to act as a shadow catcher is that correct for any floor surfaces? If thats the case when I use it with Mental Ray it seems to be correct in only displaying the shadow of my objects, but when I use vray it renders the plane without it being hidden. Maybe its me doing the whole process wrong, just wanted to ask and make sure...Thanks!

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by treedee: Thank you Kel Solaar for your amazing setup!!! I have a few questions, I am using the GUI version to choose the hdri image then selecting which renderer in the other tab I'd like to use. Once done I output the script then load it via Maya, is this the correct usage?

Yes but even better, you can directly send the Loader Script to Maya, you need to open the Socket Port that sIBL_GUI uses ( 2048 by default ) and use the "Send To Software" button.

Use this mel command to open the port in Maya :

commandPort -n":2048";

Originally Posted by treedee: And my next question would be I notice that a plane is put in the scene to act as a shadow catcher is that correct for any floor surfaces? If thats the case when I use it with Mental Ray it seems to be correct in only displaying the shadow of my objects, but when I use vray it renders the plane without it being hidden. Maybe its me doing the whole process wrong, just wanted to ask and make sure...Thanks!

No actualy u r right I don't know if VRay has a Shadow Catching Shader, so basically the ground is created with the Default Lambert, you btw have an option in the Additional Attributes to prevent it's creation.

KS

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by Kel Solaar: Yes but even better, you can directly send the Loader Script to Maya, you need to open the Socket Port that sIBL_GUI uses ( 2048 by default ) and use the "Send To Software" button.

Use this mel command to open the port in Maya :

No actualy u r right I don't know if VRay has a Shadow Catching Shader, so basically the ground is created with the Default Lambert, you btw have an option in the Additional Attributes to prevent it's creation.

KS

Great! Thank you for the info and the great time saver...

08 August 2009
This is fantastic. One thing you may consider doing when you have the time is creating basic walk-trough videos for each different template to make sure everyone that would like to try it out has a good understanding.

Amazing work!

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by Kel Solaar: Thanks !

Leif : I got something for you

RenderMan For Maya Template !

KS

You're the man!

08 August 2009
Thanks for the Feedback guys ! If you have any suggestions Leif, don't hesitate.

Originally Posted by andrewhake: One thing you may consider doing when you have the time is creating basic walk-trough videos for each different template to make sure everyone that would like to try it out has a good understanding.

It's a time consuming task I can't really focus on ( not meaning I'll not do it in the future ). I'm really flooded lately, but if you have any questions or doubts I'll do my best to reply / clear them

KS

08 August 2009
I can't get the port open on my computer.
Is there anything I should be aware of?
Is my IP supposed to be changed to the default gateway?

I can create the scene with the third icon, but the "send to software" button gives me a "remote connection failed on Port: 2048."

I'm not sure if that matters or not...

I'm running Maya 2009 X64 on Vista x64 BTW.

The other thing I noticed was that you are turning on Shadowing with the Specular ENV light in Renderman. It should only need shadowing in the Diffuse ENV light.

The background shader you made is confusing me a bit. Is it supposed to be used for the floor?

BTW, the whole setup looks great.

Last edited by leif3d : 08 August 2009 at 03:45 PM.

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by leif3d: I can't get the port open on my computer.
Is there anything I should be aware of?
Is my IP supposed to be changed to the default gateway?

I can create the scene with the third icon, but the "send to software" button gives me a "remote connection failed on Port: 2048."

I'm not sure if that matters or not...

I'm running Maya 2009 X64 on Vista x64 BTW.

Mmmh you are not alone with this issue on Vista x64 or Maya 2K9 x64 on Vista x64. I think it's something related to Vista over security ( it's fine on XP x64 ).

I guess you have opened the port already :

and are receiving an error like this :
// Error: line 1: :2048 : is already open. // 

If that's the case can you try this Python code ?

import socket
cSocket = socket.socket( socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM )
cSocket.connect( ( "localhost", 2048 ) )
cSocket.send( "print(\"\\n\\nCommand Port Is Active !\");" )

If there is no problem you should see :
Command Port Is Active !

if not I think we will need to dive into that issue.

Originally Posted by leif3d: The other thing I noticed was that you are turning on Shadowing with the Specular ENV light in Renderman. It should only need shadowing in the Diffuse ENV light.

Yes I'll fix this

Originally Posted by leif3d: The background shader you made is confusing me a bit. Is it supposed to be used for the floor?

If you mean the Surface Shader that is on the Nurbs Sphere ? No it's just to have a background, I did it this way because I already have the code from the Turtle Template, but if there is a better way, let me know I'll try to make it into the Template

Originally Posted by leif3d: BTW, the whole setup looks great.

Thanks

KS

Edit : I checked with a mate that have Windows 7 and Maya 2009 x64 and I'm getting a "Connection Refused" Error. I think you have the same on Vista x64. Let me know.

Last edited by Kel Solaar : 08 August 2009 at 04:38 PM.

08 August 2009
I updated the Reflection Light incorrect Occlusion behavior.

KS

08 August 2009
I am also getting the connection error issue from the GUI...followed instructions prior to that, and tried the suggested python method as well.

08 August 2009
Hi treedee o/

Are you also on Vista x64 / Windows 7 x64 ? And the Python code is failing ? ( Connection Refused )

KS

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by Kel Solaar: Hi treedee o/

Are you also on Vista x64 / Windows 7 x64 ? And the Python code is failing ? ( Connection Refused )

KS

..ah I forgot sorry I am on Windows 7 64, yes the python code fails for me...

08 August 2009
Ok, I can't really help currently because I don't have Windows 7 and I'm on Mac Os X but I'm getting it to install it and try that thing. It's something related to Windows Security Policy and Maya Socket Connection, or maybe a bug in Maya itself.

Once I'll have my hands on Windows 7 I'll be able to search around and I hope I'll find what's the cause of all this.

Oh and by the way ...

I'm happy to announce that sIBL_GUI 2.1.0 is released !

I added a feature that I find really practical : a ReWire Widget :

Basically, it lets you ReWire / Remap the different Components to either another Component or whatever Image you want. It's something easy but really powerfull because with this feature you can nearlly dynamically generate your IBL Sets by taking whatever Image you want.

You can for example keep the Background of your current Set, Change it's lighting with the Lighting of another IBL Set and finally use a custom image for the Reflections.

And finally with this you can just use sIBL_GUI to load whatever HDR you want and have a fast and easy setup.

Following that ReWire Widget I created 3 Blank Skeletton Sets I called ReWires. They contain nothing and are empty but they are terribly usefull for the last point I suggested because you can create a simple HDRI Setup in a matter of seconds using one of the provided Skelettons Rewire Sets.

The ReWire Sets are available here for download : http://kelsolaar.hdrlabs.com/?dir=Smart%20IBL%20Sets

Happy Rendering !

KS

08 August 2009
Hi o/

Ok I finally got my hand on Windows 7 x64 and did some Tests and Googling for that error you encounter on Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 when trying to remote connect to Maya :

# Traceback (most recent call last):
#   File "<maya console>", line 3, in <module>
#   File "<string>", line 1, in connect
# error: (10061, 'Connection refused')

and I have a weird workaround it sounds like you need to open the port by specifying the "Localhost" Ip Adress ( 127.0.0.1 ) of the computer and open it back without any IP Adress like this :

commandPort -n "127.0.0.1:2048";
commandPort -n ":2048";

It's working on 2 computers here, let me know how it's doing for you guys.

KS

reply share thread